Could use help identifying wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin.m

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm trying to figure out what kind of wood/tree this is. It's near a lake in Raleigh, NC and my guesses include either Sweetgum (although I couldn't find any gum balls at the site), Ash, or maybe Sassafras??

Its weight seems normal to me (not surprisingly heavy or light), and it splits very very easily. Any thoughts?

LBpUdIc.jpg IMG_20190107_105422929_HDR.jpg IMG_20190107_105447477_HDR.jpg IMG_20190109_121136474_HDR.jpg IMG_20190115_114545208_HDR.jpg

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out what kind of wood/tree this is. It's near a lake in Raleigh, NC and my guesses include either Sweetgum (although I couldn't find any gum balls at the site), Ash, or maybe Sassafras??

Its weight seems normal to me (not surprisingly heavy or light), and it splits very very easily. Any thoughts?

View attachment 697343 View attachment 697344 View attachment 697345 View attachment 697346 View attachment 697347
that is ash. burns about like maple, not to bad. a low moisture wood

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts so far!

In an effort to try and learn, what attributes do you use in being able to pin-point this tree? I've spent hours on google images looking at sweetgum trees, ash trees, sassafras (and now poplar), and the bark is so similar. I've read that sweetgum grain is interlocked and is a bear to split, so I'm confident it's not that... I guess it comes down to experience :p

It's ash. Very distinctive bark. For you, looking at a standing tree, you can tell it by: thick twigs, opposite branching so that every branch has a twin (mostly), and that distinctive bark that kind of flattens on the surface (although the same can be said for basswood or cottonwood, but both those have other identifying factors). The buds also tell a story. For midwinter tree identification, understanding buds is quite helpful.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts so far!

In an effort to try and learn, what attributes do you use in being able to pin-point this tree? I've spent hours on google images looking at sweetgum trees, ash trees, sassafras (and now poplar), and the bark is so similar. I've read that sweetgum grain is interlocked and is a bear to split, so I'm confident it's not that... I guess it comes down to experience :p

Yeah it just takes time. It is much easier to identify wood when there are leaves. I started out with two books that I still use. One is a field guide with excellent pictures and the other is a dichotomous key that asks a series of either or questions about the attributes of the tree and ultimately leads to identity. There are also books that focus on bark and branch structure to ID deciduous trees in winter time. Once you start cutting and splitting you become really familiar with the look, smell, texture, grain, ease of splitting etc and it makes identification easier.

When you bring home a truckload of something that’s a mother to split you learn to identify it so you don’t make the same mistake again even if you don’t know what it’s called. Regionally you’ll find that there are relatively few trees that make up the bulk of what’s out there. It doesn’t take too long to learn enough to make people think you know what you’re talking about.

Latest posts

Back