County Line splitter 40 ton.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeco

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Not very impressed with the splitter at this time. I was using it today and hydraulic pump started blowing oil everywhere . So I called the TSC store I bought it from, they told me to bring it in on Wednesday. They said they would look at it and then send it out to a repair shop . Also the control valve has been leaking some oil for a while. So I brought it up to the garage took two bolts out pulled the pump off cannot see anywhere ,where it looks like it would be leaking .also is a weird like love joy coupler but there's no fiber disc, there's no room for one either , it is steel to steel and it's got a lot of wear on it , its not even a year old , too impressed . Found loose bolts loose set screws , worn out key in coupler. why would they make a pretty good splitter and then put it together cheap soft bolts what a joke. I work on farm equipment for a living, and those 8.8 bolts aren't even worth using , they're just junk 10.9 or nothing. So I started working on the old Speedco splitter Old Faithful she's got a nearly new Predator motor runs fine. the wedge was cracked at weld at the beam. I got it pulled back. I think it will split wood again. This is why i bought a new splitter, guess I should have just rebuilt the old, one it's built a lot better. The old Speedco I've had since it was new pretty much . It has split more wood than i could ever imagine
, and I have never put a pump on it ,all I've done is put a different motor on it , it just keeps going other than the beam is stressed and Wore pretty good. I do like this new 40 ton splitter pretty well it's faster but if it's not built good enough to hold up for a test of time what good is it , as much as I had to pay for it. O well at least it is covered by warranty. And i have my old one to use. I have a lot of wood i need to spilt asap. Of course. Just my rant ...

I saw some at TSC the other day and they seemed really really solid. There was an “outside tech” guy trying to get one started. I watched him for about 20 pulls and he still didn’t get it started. I’m sure it was something stupid. I almost intervened but thought it wasn’t a good idea. I left him alone. I wonder if any of your issues have to do with the assembly from their employees. I’m sure some of those workers really don’t know how to put things together but get asked my someone to do it during their spare time. Good luck! Also, you will love the predator engine.

I saw some at TSC the other day and they seemed really really solid. There was an “outside tech” guy trying to get one started. I watched him for about 20 pulls and he still didn’t get it started. I’m sure it was something stupid. I almost intervened but thought it wasn’t a good idea. I left him alone. I wonder if any of your issues have to do with the assembly from their employees. I’m sure some of those workers really don’t know how to put things together but get asked my someone to do it during their spare time. Good luck! Also, you will love the predator engine.
Yes i agree with you, when i got this new , i went over it and tightened up most all fasteners. Most all of them were not very tight. I never thought about the pump coupler set screws. I will keep checking them from know on. But this beening loose should not of caused the pump to leak. And from from day one this splitter has gotten so hot. The hyd. Oil, that u cannot touch the oil reservoir tank. I am wondering if a backing plate seal in pump got fried. Because it doesn't leak until it builds up pressure. Now on the old splitter it is on its second predator motor. The first one i had pn there for three years or better. I believe it has a leaking head gaskit. At the time i did not want the downtime. So i found a coupon and gota new motor. But yes for the cost they are good motors. The original motor was a 5 HP briggs. That wore out , i put a used briggs , off of a old tiller. When that got bad, i started with the predator motors. Yee haw i can breath, no smoke out. Ok thanks for the reply.

I wonder if any of your issues have to do with the assembly from their employees
They do! I bought the 30ton Countyline that was put together by a TSC employee.....he mentioned he saved me $100 by putting it together but I dont need to pay anyone to put a splitter together....I would have rather done it myself anyways.

Oil drain plug was loose, clamp that holds the main hydraulic line to the reservoir was loose (it would spin on the hose), and the two big bolts that keep the beam/cylinder attached to the reservoir/axle were extremely loose.

The heat is likely caused by line restriction I bet. I would bet that it has a faster pump and the cylinders inside hole is the same size as the ones for slower pumps. I took the fitting off my 36" cylinder and the inside hole is barely over 1/4" with a welded 3/4" fitting on it. Look at all that space around that welded bung. 20181202_173248.jpg

I've ran several hundred chords through a country line 25 ton with great luck and minimal issues. For $900 they are a drop in the bucket...never had anything I couldn't split either.

Also ran a 25 ton Speeco from TSC and the country line is a upgrade. The country line has a electronic on/off switch and easy choke mechanism; starts in 2 pulls in the winter. The Speeco takes a dozen pulls to get going...

Latest posts

Back