Couple wood stove questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I bought a wood stove from Northern tool this past fall. It’s been great and has far exceeded my expectations. Here’s my question there are two panels inside the stove that sit at an angle for a ceiling. These are a fireproof type of foam. The ones that come with the stove are very brittle. One broke within 3 weeks. I ordered another from the company. It seems to be a lot more durable and make from a different material. Yesterday the other soft one broke. So now I have to order another one. I wondering if I can have some plate steel cut the same size and just use that. Something around 1/4” or maybe 3/8”. Will this work or do I have to use the other stuff.

The stove didn't have any warranty?

I certainly would have been calling them up with something failing after just a few weeks.

I don't think plate steel will last.
Our "Godin"stoves have angled steel top plates closing off the firebox /flue /chimney opening the stoves were new/installed in 2004the are mostly burning 24/7(only source of heat through out autumn/ winter spring temperature dependent)&on the pre 18/19 strip down/ service inspection were still more or less as new at a guess good for another 10 years It's 6mm plate by the way

I've seen on other websites where people convert their old smoke dragons to those capable of secondary burn. The plans I've seen used plate steel. I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for it. Hearth Dot Com is a good source for questions like this. My take is that the manufacturer used the ceramic tile for a reason. Most likely because the plate steel will weaken and warp over time, and not seal as it should. If you are breaking these, you are hitting them while loading your stove because they don't just break from heat. Don't fill it so full, and be careful not to just throw logs in. Use gloves, and place them instead of tossing them.

Our "Godin"stoves have angled steel top plates closing off the firebox /flue /chimney opening the stoves were new/installed in 2004the are mostly burning 24/7(only source of heat through out autumn/ winter spring temperature dependent)&on the pre 18/19 strip down/ service inspection were still more or less as new at a guess good for another 10 years It's 6mm plate by the way

Is that a secondary burner?

My comment was based on a new stove such as the OP was asking about likely would be, and I was thinking bare steel in the secondary burn area likely wouldn't have a good life.

Back