Coz the big girls need some loving too.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got asked to cut up some bigger logs for a guy who only has smaller saws, so took the big girls out and showed them some loving.
Jonsered 2094 36 inch Sugi with full comp 3/8 chisel chain.
Husqvarna 288 36 inch Oregon 3/8 full skip chisel chain.
Stihl 066 30 inch Sugi full comp chisel 3/8.

When running big bars full depth in big old dry logs, I like to take multiple saws. Repeat heavy full load cuts can heat things up- personally I believe it is better to alternate saws, rather than placing all the strain and workload continually on one.
Plus that kind of thinking it the perfect excuse to own more than one!

Nobody can accuse me of being a brand snob! Was wearing Husqvarna chainsaw trousers and a Stihl shirt- should have added some Jonsered braces to complete the matching set! :laugh:

Big Saws 1.jpegBig Saws 2.jpegBig Saws 3.jpeg

Nice. What's up with the gloves stuck onto them?

Thats a Kiwi thing- don't see them anywhere else in the World really. Hard pressed to find a falling saw here without one.
Basically they do a couple of things- they keep your left hand "attached" to the front handle, bit of a health and safety thing, lends more control in a kickback kind of situation and just confirms/controls contact with the saws front handle.
When using a larger saw buried bar deep into big logs, hot exhaust gasses tend to exit the muffler, hit the log face and travel up- 4mm of veg tanned leather can stop your pinkies getting toasted.
Plus, the wrap of soft thick leather on the front handle allows a softer larger grip and you can relax the grip for less vibration transmission- but still be in control as the mitt is attached physically to the handle.

When you have used them in the bush for extended time frames, you get used to them and it feels odd using a saw without one.
If you have never used one, it feels odd using a saw that has one fitted!
I am used to them, I use them and have them fitted to most rear handled saws over 50cc and some smaller saws.

Thats a Kiwi thing- don't see them anywhere else in the World really. Hard pressed to find a falling saw here without one.
Basically they do a couple of things- they keep your left hand "attached" to the front handle, bit of a health and safety thing, lends more control in a kickback kind of situation and just confirms/controls contact with the saws front handle.
When using a larger saw buried bar deep into big logs, hot exhaust gasses tend to exit the muffler, hit the log face and travel up- 4mm of veg tanned leather can stop your pinkies getting toasted.
Plus, the wrap of soft thick leather on the front handle allows a softer larger grip and you can relax the grip for less vibration transmission- but still be in control as the mitt is attached physically to the handle.

When you have used them in the bush for extended time frames, you get used to them and it feels odd using a saw without one.
If you have never used one, it feels odd using a saw that has one fitted!
I am used to them, I use them and have them fitted to most rear handled saws over 50cc and some smaller saws.
In "the bush"???

Maybe you should get a set of these for next time.
https://hqvcdn3.azureedge.net/qs_mh=400&mw=2000&ver=20200717T054856&hcsh=89FAE94072723FA97191BE86C0EE1E2F/_$$_/media/aprimo/jonsered/clothes/photos/studio/j410-00xxxx/j410-009.png

That’s some big wood!

The bigger stuff is yet to come- on the same property, at least one bigger Pine log about the same age felled as this one, so it will be dry and the grain tightened- means much harder work on the saws to ring it up versus freshly fallen green timber.
The 066 will be back there this afternoon wearing a 25 inch bar to noodle some of those rings into at least quarters so I can manhandle them onto the trailer.

I like the idea of the gauntlet grips attached to the handle. Makes sense that the brake would actuate more quickly, and a bit of hand protection in case of a thrown chain. I can't seem to make myself wear gloves in warm weather, so having that extra bit on there would be nice. Does that device have a particular name?

I like the idea of the gauntlet grips attached to the handle. Makes sense that the brake would actuate more quickly, and a bit of hand protection in case of a thrown chain. I can't seem to make myself wear gloves in warm weather, so having that extra bit on there would be nice. Does that device have a particular name?
They are just a "Chainsaw Leather Mitt" over here, some go so far as to call them a "Chainsaw Safety Mitt" - you can even get them with STIHL hot branded into the leather and it generally increases the price by $15 a unit! :laugh:
There are some cheap versions getting about that are possibly from Asia- thinner, much stiffer leather and crappy rivets (the 066 is wearing one). The ones I prefer are made in NZ by a company called Styx Mills.
Not sure if they have an agent in the States.

Latest posts

Back