Cracked Stihl 041 Handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will.W.2020

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got an old 041 that was sitting in rain for $15. Took it apart and put brand new piston and cylinder on it. Has good spark and just need a carb rebuild and fuel line. The reason I think it was abandoned was because it looks like a tree fell on it and it has multiple cracks in the magnesium. The worst part is the rear handle that is snapped clean on the bottom and half is cracked where it connects on the top. Also the air filter cover is busted but still functional. Is there any somewhat easy way to fix this without taking it to a welder? I can do a little welding (MIG and stick). Can it be brazed like aluminum? Thanks for any advice!

Sometimes it's easier, more reliable and less hazardous to just replace the broken parts. Is the 041 an older type with this kind of handle?
Stihl 041 handle older.jpg

or newer type with two parts, cover ring and back / lower brace?
Stihl 041 handle newer.jpg
Stihl 041 lower newer.jpg

These parts can be found online. Since you've spent some sum on the engine, would it be worth it to have reliable useability?

To weld magnesium you will have to Tig weld it, do not try it with a stick or mig. You will blow out the magnesium and if it did not blow out you will spider crack the heck out of it where the arc struck on.
Replace the handle, cover, or anything else you can with OEM parts.

Edit to add: Where does it need welded at and if it is doable, the case will have to be clean as a baby's behind. No grease, oil, paint, sweat, nothing put cleaned and bare magnesium to weld on with the tungsten rod.

It is the older one. Thanks for the advice I guess I’ll get to looking on eBay. I can live with the air filter cover looking rough because I’m keeping the saw.

It is the older one. Thanks for the advice I guess I’ll get to looking on eBay. I can live with the air filter cover looking rough because I’m keeping the saw.
Do you have some pics of the cracks, I was a welder back in my day and I might be able to let you know if it is doable or not.

Well sorry about the late response but I did eventually get around to cutting some 16 gauge steel “bandaids” and riveting them on. Finished the rebuild and the saw runs great. Haven’t used it much but I think the handle will hold up.

6C2CCC49-E1F2-40DD-8E00-3EBD3DFA71E6.jpeg45656BC2-D2EA-4BE1-9069-583F1FCCC2C0.jpeg

I am a pretty good welder but magnesium turns out not to be an easy mend. I have had several people say that they can mend as good as new but in practice NO. I tried heliarc Tig Mig with the same results. As it turns out people say they can but can not. The best fix is to weld it if you want and then fabricate a splint with aluminum and join with JB Weld. Be very generous with materials and I think it is better than new. My 056 is still holding together with no issues. My 041 has been repaired with very good condition used parts with only a small amount of JB. Thanks

Back