ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Crafting with Gourds...

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by TNTreeHugger, May 22, 2019.

1. TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger Addicted to ArboristSite

I just wanted to show off my very first attempt at making a gourd birdhouse... had so much fun I decided to make a bird feeder next.
    Just used my cordless drill and a steak knife. Wax based paint.

I started some of the seeds that came out of the two gourds and today I see a couple of sprouts just poking up out of the soil. :)

I've since added three perches to the feeder, still haven't seen any takers... maybe it looks too much like a human and they're scared of it? :p

Anyone else grow, or make these?

3.jpg 3.jpg

2. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Mom grew some gourds when I was a kid. We thought they were fun, but never did anything with them, and she never planted any more.

That's some pretty awesome painting on the right! Beautiful.

3. holeycow

holeycow Addicted to ArboristSite

You have to be very accurate with entrance size, placement of roost (if a roost is even required for the birds you wish to attract), height of entrance to roof/floor, etc. There are critical dimensions which are important.

Many birds have to keep other, marauding birds and creatures out of their nests, so they build or choose sites that make it difficult for other species to eat their chicks, eat their eggs, steal their nests, replace their chicks or eggs with others, etc.

Do some research, then build accordingly.

Gourds can be made into many useful and beautiful things.

Cool!

stihl sawing and lone wolf like this.
  4. Brushpile

Brushpile Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo.

They make fine instruments too.

20190524_122038.jpg 20190524_122113.jpg 20190524_121849.jpg 20190524_121904.jpg

WRW, TNTreeHugger, yooper and 3 others like this.
  5. TNTreeHugger

6. Brushpile

Thank you! Yes. I also made this one.

1209180939a~2.jpg

WRW, holeycow and TNTreeHugger like this.
  7. TNTreeHugger

Very nice! How do they sound? got a video to post? :)

lone wolf likes this.
  8. Brushpile

They sound good. Deep and basey is the Gordy and old timey is the mountain banjo. Both fretless.
    Sorry, dont have a video to share, but here's a pic of me picking a tune.

20190525_211317.jpg

lone wolf, holeycow and TNTreeHugger like this.
  9. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I took an ice pick and slowly chipped about a 1 inch hole in a gourd about the size of yours. Hung it up in my Tri Color Beech. At the end of last summer I saw twigs sticking out of it. I thought the nesting season was long over, so I walked up to it and looked in. A little Wren came out and almost hit me in the eye. They are back this year. No perch, that would just help the bigger birds.

Brushpile and lone wolf like this.
  10. rarefish383

I make Blue Bird houses and squirrel habitrails out of old Oak Fence boards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a set of barn doors for a friends timber framed home.

[​IMG]

11. rarefish383

That's my Ruger #3 in 25-35. Don't know how it got there, and I can't figure out how to edit it, so I guess it gets to stay.

12. rarefish383

This is the one that was supposed to be where the rifle is. Logging truck with Rose Breasted Grosbeak.
    [​IMG]

13. WRW

WRW Addicted to ArboristSite

Using rough sawn lumber was how I found that flying squirrels have similar requirements to bluebirds. Because it was a rough surface he was able to work around to the front of the box and enter. The holes on a squirrel box would normally be placed on the sides near the tree for easy access from the tree.

And yes, I grew gourds one year and hung several in a pignut hickory. The nesting was hidden by foliage but I did get a wind chime effect all winter for several winters.

TNTreeHugger and Brushpile like this.
  14. TNTreeHugger

Glad you cleared that up - when I first saw the gun, I thought maybe you were baiting the squirrels to shoot them. :confused: never saw anyone go to all that trouble to make a squirrel happy, well, except me.
    That's one fat and sassy squirrel you've got there!:D
    Love those grosbeaks... and that feeder is beyond amazing. Excellent work.

15. TNTreeHugger

Btw, the birds are starting to go in the feeder I made. I have two hanging together, one store bought they were used to and mine. I let the bought one go empty and they ventured into mine. :)

I'm going to transplant my sprouts today. Eleven came up, I think I planted 12. I bought a fence panel and made a small gourd tunnel, and I think I'll try some in different places to see where they like best.
    I'm thinking two per container and four containers in the fenced area. I can put up chicken wire across the end of the carport... when they get that far.
    Think this will work?
    The others I'm going to plant in the fence row I've just finished clearing out.

DSC04038 - Copy.JPG

Brushpile and rarefish383 like this.
  16. rarefish383

Is that the 16' panels. My wife talked me into using one for my tomatoes. Cut it in half and put an 8' section between two steel fence posts. I might stick a couple gourds on it too.

TNTreeHugger likes this.
  17. TNTreeHugger

Yes, the 16' panel, got it at the farmers co-op for about $22. You should have seen how they wanted to load it in the back of my pick-up.:confused: They had it standing up, ends in the bed, looked like the ribs of a covered wagon. When I expressed my doubts, they said they do it like that all the time. I said not today. Had them tuck the ends between the bottom of my tool box and the truck bed. Worked like a charm. If this works out this year, I'll get some more next year. Got the idea from Youtube. The lady had a bunch of these in a row and with the gourds hanging down inside the tunnel, it looked really cool. :D

Planted the sprouts and put up the chicken wire this morning. Need to get four more bags of soil and transplant about a dozen more tomato plants and then I'm Done!
    For a little while anyway.:rolleyes:

I think this new garden spot is going to work out perfectly. It runs east/west, gets sun all day, and the water faucet is right there handy. I put down weed barrier, then the straw. If it does well this year, next year I may dig it up, put up sides, and make it permanent. There's gravel there from the driveway, so idk if I'll be able to dig there..
    I've planted so many trees in the yard over the years, I'm running out of sunny spots.:eek: But, I do love the shade. I can feel the temp drop as I pull in my driveway. :)

DSC04042.JPG DSC04045.JPG DSC04047.JPG DSC04048.JPG

rarefish383 and Brushpile like this.
  18. Brushpile

This was the inspiration for my gourd banjo build, but I cant play anywhere close to Adam's ability.

Did you know those luffas that folks use for bath scrubs are gourds also?

TNTreeHugger likes this.
  19. TNTreeHugger

Wow, that sounds wonderful, sort of mesmerizing. :)

Yes, the same woman growing the gourds in the tunnel also had some of the luffa gourds there.
    Here's the video. I think she is wrong though about cutting down the green gourds. I think you're supposed to leave them to dry out on the vine.

Btw, if that's a 16' panel, that woman is a midget. :D

Brushpile likes this.
  20. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

Birdhouse gourds are kind of cool and super easy to grow. We usually just pop a few seeds into the compost pile and they do just fine. If you have any sort of fencing, try a few seeds under/near it and you will probably be surprised. I let mine dry on the vine, harvest them and let them dry out over the winter in the barn.

If you are going to use them for a bird house, you can cut the door with a Dremel or a drill with a hole saw appropriate for the size bird you want to attract. You should also drill a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage, two holes in the top for a hemp cord and a small hole under the door for a stick/perch. The motely foolish things actually sell well at farmers markets around here as nobody seems to grow them.

TNTreeHugger likes this.