Craftsman 3.3/Poulan, need a little help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope different. 330 uses bare piston, 3300 used plated piston. Can not mix them.

Hole in boot will make it lean and score piston.

Okay, so I need the bare piston. I'm going to try acid on the jug. Worked on a Sachs, can't hurt to try on this one.

As far as the hole, it was under the edge of the boot, should have been sealed by the band and intake section of the jug. Damage is on the exhaust side exclusively. Looks like a carbon chunk to me but its hard to say for sure. I know someone else had the saw apart long before i got it. Might have been some damage done then and there was a LOT of hard carbon crud in the exhaust port.

I think I have the much bigger brother, the 4000, and this one, another big brother:

The 3.7 / 20. Both run very well today. Their only problems were fuel issues, I fixed them all. Check all the fuel lines and the fuel filter first. Replace as needed. Simple as that.

I have a Farm Pro 375 that's built just like that. Great saw! It's the one that changed my mind on Poulan being 3rd rate junk.

Okay, so I need the bare piston. I'm going to try acid on the jug. Worked on a Sachs, can't hurt to try on this one.

As far as the hole, it was under the edge of the boot, should have been sealed by the band and intake section of the jug. Damage is on the exhaust side exclusively. Looks like a carbon chunk to me but its hard to say for sure. I know someone else had the saw apart long before i got it. Might have been some damage done then and there was a LOT of hard carbon crud in the exhaust port.

??? Think about this ;) BARE bore + ACID = NO NO if using the 3300 3.3 bare bore cylinder.

OK, I give up. By popular demand, here is my "new" vintage Poulan 4000, circa 1975. I took two shots with it naked:

And here it is with a bar and chain cover that I made in my shop using ash:

This saw now runs so well that I decided to try it out last weekend. It's impressive. No one would ever believe that it's 41 years old. It has a slightly damaged clutch cover, but other than that, it's a shelf queen. I also have a 25" bar that I think it will pull. All it really needed was new fuel lines, a fuel filter, a new choke lever that I made in my shop, and a clean up.

You have a choice of many topends you could put on that saw as replacement.
Also make sure seals are good, impulse line I would replace, fuel line, intake boot for tears and cracks, look under clamp too. The can hide out of site.

Could you please outline what top ends will fit this frame? I'm having zero luck finding an exact replacement.

Older, like I said earlier.

Your 3.7 4000 was older before these we are talking about.

Older and way heavier!!! I know there are bazillions of those 3.4, 3.7 4.0 Craftsman/Poulans out there and they are good hardworking saws, but the weight of those things just always made me send them down the road. Thy have just adequate air filter systems that seemed to always need attention. I would love to see a side by side between a 3.4 Poulan and 335 Poulan Pro or Craftsman 3.3..

My first saw I ever bought was a gray and black 3.0 Craftsman. Still have it and it has cut miles of trees through its life. It came from an old Sears scratch and dent store so technically it wasn't new when bought. I've ran it side by side with my old Husky 350 and they were neck and neck. I think the Craftsman might of had a little better torque than the Husky.

I also had a Regular green Poulan 3.7 like in the picture. It had a poulan 3300 sticker on it so I was confused about it when I got it but that saw was a beater but runner style of saw. I ran it against my neighbors 028 Stihl and 290 Stihl and it destroyed them both.

I was always a fan of that chassis. Poulan came out with the 335 Poulan Pro as direct competition to the 026 Stihl at the time.

Older and way heavier!!! I know there are bazillions of those 3.4, 3.7 4.0 Craftsman/Poulans out there and they are good hardworking saws, but the weight of those things just always made me send them down the road. Thy have just adequate air filter systems that seemed to always need attention. I would love to see a side by side between a 3.4 Poulan and 335 Poulan Pro or Craftsman 3.3..

My first saw I ever bought was a gray and black 3.0 Craftsman. Still have it and it has cut miles of trees through its life. It came from an old Sears scratch and dent store so technically it wasn't new when bought. I've ran it side by side with my old Husky 350 and they were neck and neck. I think the Craftsman might of had a little better torque than the Husky.

I also had a Regular green Poulan 3.7 like in the picture. It had a poulan 3300 sticker on it so I was confused about it when I got it but that saw was a beater but runner style of saw. I ran it against my neighbors 028 Stihl and 290 Stihl and it destroyed them both.

I was always a fan of that chassis. Poulan came out with the 335 Poulan Pro as direct competition to the 026 Stihl at the time.
I did the same thing last week running my Poulan 4000 against my Stihl MS 390. The much older Poulan 4000 ate its lunch. I intend to try the 4000 on some noodle cuts as soon as the weather warms back up a little. Not sure if it will clog up too much, but we will see...

Latest posts

Back