Craftsman 3.7/18 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwlee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Found my dad's old relic Craftsman 3.7/18 chainsaw. I can get it started by pouring 2 cycle fuel into the spark plug hole but it refuses to start via pull start. I suspect its got a dirty carb since it sat for nearly 20 years. Anyone have a guide for disassembly to get to the carb? I'm stumped on how to remove the cover after removing the air filter.

If I remember correctly, the two nuts or bolts that hold the filter bracket to the carb need to be removed. Then it will slide right up. There were several different designs and manufacturers of the saw with the same name. A picture would be helpful.

Here's pics.. I figured out finally how to remove the carb.. cleaned the crap out of it with brake cleaner and added a new plug and some trufuel and it fired up but it still took like 20 pulls to get it to start.

Attachments

• 20151106_170540.jpg
    20151106_170540.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20151106_170552.jpg
    20151106_170552.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20151106_170600.jpg
    20151106_170600.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 60
That is the Roper. It is a good saw. I would rebuild the carburetor and replace the fuel lines. Both are cheap and fairly easy to do. I doubt it will give much trouble after that. First you need to pull the muffler and check the condition of the cylinder though. If it is all scored up, check for parts availability, or put it on the shelf for memories...

Out of curiosity, what would be a better fuel for it? 40:1 or 50:1

That is always up for debate. A personal choice. I personally run 50:1 in everything. If you want to err on the side of caution, 40:1 is fine. It was probably designed for 32:1. With a proper tune, any of these ratios should do well. Try to stay away from the ethanol fuels if you can.

Yea I only run trufuel on my 2 cycles.. It may cost $6 for a 32 oz can but atleast it won't separate when it sits

Now to figure out in the morning how to take it apart further to get the fuel line replaced. That should be fun, tried to split the case and couldnt' figure it out earlier.

You do not want to split the case. That is only done for huge repairs. Dump the gas and reach in the tank with a pair of long nose narrow pliers ( I use the ones designed to remove hooks from the mouths of fish) and grab the fuel line. Pull it out through the fuel cap opening. Cut the new line on a very sharp angle and start it into the tànk from the air box. Reach in with the pliers and pull the fuel line into the tank. Pull it out until you get it through the fuel cap opening. Cut the line square and put on the filter. Push it into the tank and pull any excess back up into the air box, then cut it to length and install on the carb.

Which Craftsman 3.7, the Poulan built or Roper built saws? Is it like this?

View attachment 458968
I have this same saw. I can't find any info on the web about it. Here's my problem. When I first start it, it takes about 100 pulls to get it running. But once it's been shut off and still warm, usually 1 pull will get it running again. Do you know what the possible problem is?

There is lots of info, very common saws.

Replace fuel line, impulse, and do a carb kit.
The model I have is the Craftsman Pro 3•7/20, 358•59820•1. I can't find anything on the web and don't know if other parts will be compatible.

Attachments

• 20200629_214730.jpg
    20200629_214730.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
The model I have is the Craftsman Pro 3•7/20, 358•59820•1. I can't find anything on the web and don't know if other parts will be compatible.

That’s a totally different saw than the OP has, yours being a Poulan 3700 painted red & labeled Craftsman, definitely not a Roper.

You’re lucky in that parts are readily available for that one.Try 358.354830 for a Sears parts list & owners manual, I’m not sure what’s up with your label model number.

I see you started a new thread about cold start issues, but you will get a lot more replies if you post in the “Nik’s Poulan Thread” sticky thread.

Back