Craftsman 3.7 18" information

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, decomp closed. It makes sense that the low compression could be the problem. I thought if my neighbor can't "fix" it by fine tuning, which he knows how to, then I agree, compression would have to be it. One more quick question, is the coil going bad if it produces a red spark in the spark testing tool? Thanks. Kyle

Yep, decomp closed. It makes sense that the low compression could be the problem. I thought if my neighbor can't "fix" it by fine tuning, which he knows how to, then I agree, compression would have to be it. One more quick question, is the coil going bad if it produces a red spark in the spark testing tool? Thanks. Kyle
if the coil is making spark then it's ok, most of the time the either work or they don't..

Thanks!

Thanks again. I will post a video of it running soon, and cutting wood too! I'm just gonna run it til it dies (hmm... probably gonna take 20 years) and have a piston and cylinder on the shelf in my barn for the overhaul. Thanks.
Kyle :greenchainsaw:

First saw I ever used!

My Dad was over tonight and I showed him his old McCulloch 3420 and how I had fixed it up. Then I asked him if he could remember what that saw was he had when I was a teenager - all that's left is the 18" bar and chain in my barn, and I was trying to figure out what it was. He only remembered that he mostly bought Sears stuff then, and so I searched. And this is it! Was kind of a nice saw - wish I still had it, but I think he threw it out. The power sharp thing was kind of strange.

Also, the bar I have is asymmetrical on the nose and not reversible - has a bigger curve on the bottom side. Can anyone tell me what's up with that and what it might be for? It's a bit worn but actually the bar and chain are in half decent shape.

Last edited:
Also, the bar I have is asymmetrical on the nose and not reversible - has a bigger curve on the bottom side. Can anyone tell me what's up with that and what it might be for? It's a bit worn but actually the bar and chain are in half decent shape.

Commonly referred to as a "Banana bar" and that was a old school anti-kickback device.

Holy thread revival Batman!! :D

I noticed that bar, and thought it was weird. I managed to acquire a copy of the manual for these saws, and it showed bore cutting, etc. for making stuff like beams, benches, etc for your house and yard projects.

It does look like that banana on the bottom of the bar would make it a bit easier to bore cut and possibly a little safer. I dunno. :jester:

Latest posts

Back