Craftsman chainsaw missing label

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesm113

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I grabbed another Craftsman chainsaw off Craigslist, but it's missing the label, so I can't find the model number.

It has an 18" blade and is 42cc. I think the bar and chain were replaced.

The 1-800 number underneath the handle was out of service (1-800-235-5878).

Is there another place I can look?
20200617_103630.jpg

There are quite a few different Craftsman models that share similar parts. One very similar model to yours pictured would be 358.360381.

This saw is really just another version of the common Poulan stratocharged saws that were marketed under many names in the early-mid 2010s .
A couple examples with parts that would interchange with your Craftsman: Poulan WildThing P4018WT, Poulan Pro PPB4218.

Don't know if these pictures will help. I have three of these saw. One is light grey craftsman and one of Poulan Green. The parts I have switched between them have all interchanged. Like was said lots of saws the same.
craftsman 001.jpgcraftsman 002.jpg

Yeah, understood.

Looks like mine is quite a bit newer.

Just don't want to be guessing when I have to order parts for it.

Craftsman 4218. I have one that runs well. I remember that it cost me almost nothing because I found it in a deserted house with a broken pull cord that I fixed. The saw's spark plug was loose and the owner broke the pull cord trying to start it. This saw runs fine today:
Craftsman 4218.jpg

Yours has the choke and on/off switch on the same side - this is a strato saw (later version.) Most parts are compatible with a Poulan 4218, except yours does not have Anti-vibration.
Another way to identify them is the silver muffler on the strato saws, the earlier non-strato saws have a black muffler. I learned how to fix those by watching youtube videos -
carburetor cleaning and rebuilding by donyboy, and fuel line routing on poulan chain saws. If the piston and cylinder are in good shape, they will usually run by replacing the fuel lines, filter,
and maybe the primer bulb if it has cracks in it. The carburetor may need cleaning / rebuilding, but it may work as it is.

Clifford is correct. Before I start working on any of these Craftsman or Poulan saws, I check the compression. Otherwise, you are wasting your time. You need about 120 psi or so. A friend gave me six of these puppies last winter to work on and I got five of them going again. Good Luck!

yeah that is basically a Craftsman-branded Poulan Wild Thing...

and yes, Clifford is correct. the fuel lines are pretty easy to replace, just get the routing correct and with the vent line, make sure to set it just inside the tank. there is actually a small fitting they sell, but I just used the fuel line itself (cut at an angle). the carb is REALLY easy to take off, replace or rebuild. if you use a chinesium replacement carb, I had to trim the top cover to get the throttle linkage to work properly. in hindsight rebuilding the old carb was the better way to go, which I did after, so now it's sitting around ready to use on something else or if I just get around to feeling like it.

apparently, these saws really wake up with some simple muffler mods. I may give that a whirl if I just get around to feeling like it.

the one I fixed does vibrate a lot, not a fan of it - it'll give you the finger-tingles. But the case/construction of the saw is way better than this little Homelite, it is much more solid.

Yeah, I finally got the chance to try it out. I am NOT a fan of the vibration.

My older 16"/36cc craftsman has anti-vibration handles and it was so much better. But that one doesn't have a chain brake, so it made me nervous, since I usually bring it camping and my friends aren't always the smartest with power tools.

I guess I'll be getting a 3rd saw that has both anti-vibration handles AND a chain brake.

I dug mine out of its case and looked over the outside handle. It has springs on both the right side and bottom Best I can remember. it's about a 2005 vintage (shown in post #6). I suspect yours must be older, but who knows? I've never noticed serious vibration. Those springs must have ended most of that.

Yeah, those springs do a wonderful job of isolating the handle from the motor and the rest of the saw. I guess I thought it was a gimmick and took the anti vibration feature for granted - I did not realize how powerful the vibrations are coming from the motor. On a saw with a anti vibration handle, you can simply feel the plastic below the handle to understand how strong the vibrations are.

I can kind of make out "Anti Vibration Handle" labeling in your pics.

My 16" / 36cc saw is from 1999.
The one pictured this post I suspect is from 2010ish.

Yours has the choke and on/off switch on the same side - this is a strato saw (later version.) Most parts are compatible with a Poulan 4218, except yours does not have Anti-vibration.
Another way to identify them is the silver muffler on the strato saws, the earlier non-strato saws have a black muffler. I learned how to fix those by watching youtube videos -
carburetor cleaning and rebuilding by donyboy, and fuel line routing on poulan chain saws. If the piston and cylinder are in good shape, they will usually run by replacing the fuel lines, filter,
and maybe the primer bulb if it has cracks in it. The carburetor may need cleaning / rebuilding, but it may work as it is.
I agree, most likely a pre-AV PP4218. Chrome cylinder, clamshell, strato, internal clutch, NO cat muffler.

I have the PP3516, same powerhead, but it came with a 16" bar. It has bcome the backup to my backup, and the beater saw that refuses to die. Granted, I do keep up with proper maintenance and have already replaced the carb, so technically, I have kept it alive. It's not a bad saw and gets a bad reputation in homeowner circles because it gets treated like a lawn mower by most home owners - zero maintenance, rusty dull chain, left on the shelf with old gas for years, etc., then the saw gets the blame.

The only problem I have with it is that I didn't get rid of the "Intenz" bar setup soon enough, and the front bar stud is pulling through the plactic a bit. I go easy on that one and it seems to be ok.

Put fluids in the tanks, tune it properly, and run it. A muffler mod will really wake it up. The carb has "tamper proof" splines on the adjustment screws. Either get the proper tool, or cut slots in the carb adjustment screws and use a flat head screw driver. It will pull that 18" bar just fine.

What's this muffler mod? Going on youtube, I see some videos were you just basically drill a hole in the muffler to allow more flow?

Yeah, I'll fix the tamper proof screws.

Yep. I've seen and heard how some Poulans really can wake up with a muffler mod. One way or another, you drill some holes and/or open up some fins depending on the construction/format of the muffler.

Some youtube videos have some Poulans which definitely sound more stout than some of the stock stuff. Running 45:1 or 50:1 and tuning to match can help too, but most of the older saws all recommended 40:1 which gets smokey and unnecessary with today's good synthetic mix oils.

Back