Craftsman YTS4000 (917.289281) Lawn Tractor Drive Belt Vibrates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcalec

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My Craftsman YTS4000 (917.289281) Lawn Tractor drive belt vibrates really bad when I take the foot off the clutch/brake. I have replaced all of the 3 drive pulleys and drive belt but the problem did not go away. The vibration is pretty bad, to a point where the tractor can not be used. Can anyone suggest on what this could be. I am only talking about the drive belt vibration, the deck is off the tractor. Thank you

Crank on engine bent or input shaft on transaxle?

Block up the rear end and see what's going on.

Thank you for your reply.

Also wanted to say that's a guess with limited info. It's hard to know without seeing it.

I'd imagine if it's shaking that severe it'd be easy to spot the issue though.

If the crank on the engine is bent, would not it be vibrating when it's running all the time? It only vibrates when I am releasing the clutch/brake pedal. Just trying to think this through. Thank you for your time

If the crank on the engine is bent, would not it be vibrating when it's running all the time? It only vibrates when I am releasing the clutch/brake pedal. Just trying to think this through. Thank you for your time

If it's just the end of the crank, making the pulley wobble, not really.

It could cause the belt to tighten and loosen, and that would vibrate.

Some of the yard tractors have the pulley hanging down a bit, not unheard of to hit it.

Again, just a WAG.

Getting under there to take a look will have it figured out quickly. Just lift the back of the tractor onto a wood block, concrete block, jack stands, etc.

More than likely your trans pulley or crankshaft pulley has a "ding" in it. When you let go of the parking brake pedal you are putting tension on the belt. When it is pressed in you are making the belt slack. The vibration is normally caused when something rotating has an issue on one spot, so everytime that spot rolls around it creates the vibration. Normally this is from a worn out pulley or a flat or burn spot in the belt. Given that you replaced those, it's probably a bent pulley.

Back