Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you know, I has a great score on C.L a couple of weeks ago (see Craiglist Locust).So, with high hopes, I answered another "Free Firewood" ad a few days ago by providing my name, address and # to the e-mail account.I got a call yesterday from the woman who told me that she had two trees down, and if I did "a little work" I could have the wood.I didn't hang up until she had mentioned 'new roof', 'replace rotted fascia and soffit' and, I think, 'paint'.After all, she said, she was "just a woman" and couldn't do these things! I just want to know whose ex-wife this was...

As some of you know, I has a great score on C.L a couple of weeks ago (see Craiglist Locust).So, with high hopes, I answered another "Free Firewood" ad a few days ago by providing my name, address and # to the e-mail account.I got a call yesterday from the woman who told me that she had two trees down, and if I did "a little work" I could have the wood.I didn't hang up until she had mentioned 'new roof', 'replace rotted fascia and soffit' and, I think, 'paint'.After all, she said, she was "just a woman" and couldn't do these things! I just want to know whose ex-wife this was...

It sounds like he took the saws with him!!:laugh:

Here is an email from my last Craigslist person after I told him that I would be there tomorrow to take down a medium sized red oak in his backyard.

"yes, that's fine. while you're here, if u wouldn't mind cutting down some dogwoods & some off my magnolia & mulberry trees in the back that u can easily reach from the ground, i'd like u to do that, too. u can have any & all of the wood that u cut from those, too.
i also have some limbs hanging over my house from some kinda tree,i need you to climb up there and trim them back.my neighbor wants her litle trees trimmed in her yard next door, i told her that u wood do it for me.or i'll borrow your utility chainsaw & cut it up myself if u can just get it on the ground for me. thanks!
and my freind says that u can grind the stumps down to the ground with your chainsaw,just use a old chain and wash your saw with a garden hose real good to get the dirt out.is that okay?"

I am thinking that maybe this job is going to be a hassle, full of "whileuratits"
Wash my saw?I think not!Loan you my saw?I think not!

Here is an email from my last Craigslist person after I told him that I would be there tomorrow to take down a medium sized red oak in his backyard.

"yes, that's fine. while you're here, if u wouldn't mind cutting down some dogwoods & some off my magnolia & mulberry trees in the back that u can easily reach from the ground, i'd like u to do that, too. u can have any & all of the wood that u cut from those, too.
i also have some limbs hanging over my house from some kinda tree,i need you to climb up there and trim them back.my neighbor wants her litle trees trimmed in her yard next door, i told her that u wood do it for me.or i'll borrow your utility chainsaw & cut it up myself if u can just get it on the ground for me. thanks!
and my freind says that u can grind the stumps down to the ground with your chainsaw,just use a old chain and wash your saw with a garden hose real good to get the dirt out.is that okay?"

I am thinking that maybe this job is going to be a hassle, full of "whileuratits"

Unbelievable. :jawdrop:

So what is the politest (is that even a word?) way to say "NO"!

Kevin

ouch, I would not even show up there or ever answer her calls. You go there and you might end up buried in a 55 gallon drum in her backyard...

classic.

as i said in another thread...when something has to be done, no one knows how to do it. when they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Double-unbelievable!

This thread reminds me of my neighbor who last winter called me in January and told me (not asked - told me) that they were going to have to take some of my wood because they ran out. ..... They made out just as poorly as when they came over to tell me that I had to clean out my barn so that they could use it for their horses ... or the time that they told me that I had to go and shoot a skunk that they had trapped under their trailer ... or the time they told me that I had to take the machines that I rented and do their driveway and dig them a ditch ... or ... :confused: ... ok, now I'm just depressing myself. :dizzy:

Double-unbelievable!

This thread reminds me of my neighbor who last winter called me in January and told me (not asked - told me) that they were going to have to take some of my wood because they ran out. ..... They made out just as poorly as when they came over to tell me that I had to clean out my barn so that they could use it for their horses ... or the time that they told me that I had to go and shoot a skunk that they had trapped under their trailer ... or the time they told me that I had to take the machines that I rented and do their driveway and dig them a ditch ... or ... :confused: ... ok, now I'm just depressing myself. :dizzy:

sheesh......now i'm really glad i never talk to my neighbors.

I recently answered an add on craigslist for free firewood. I called the guy and he said he had about 2 pick-up loads of birch. Being the only hardwood here in Alaska I was stoked. So I drive out to his house to pick it up and low and behold. He tells me any tree marked with paint I can have. By tree he means pecker poles none bigger than 3 inchs. I inform him politely that these are trees, It doesn't become firewood until it's cut, limbed and bucked. I ended up getting about half a load of descent wood before I hadto run off for an "emeregency"
:givebeer:

Double-unbelievable!

I sure hope you say no. Why do they keeping asking (telling)?

I sure hope you say no. Why do they keeping asking (telling)?

I said no to all of their "requests," although the 4 barn requests were just after they moved in so it took a while to get through to them.

Generally what happens is they'll see us somewhere, say hello, and use that as a springboard for a favor.

LOL ... very early on they saw us drive by on our way into town, called me on my cell, and asked me to bring them back a case of drinks "since I was going into town anyway." I told them that they'd have to do their own shopping.

... I don't talk to them much anymore. :D

I've had a few Craig's list gems.

The most memorable was the one for "Free Hardwood." I called and found out there was another fellow already looking at it. Oh well, then I was told if he didn't feel comfortable dropping it I could have the wood. What??

Turns out the tree was at the corner of a house and had grown up through the wires. The tree was "really big" at about 40' tall and 12" in diameter. Passed on that one.

It is simply amazing the # of people who really believe that getting the wood is worth the labor to remove a tree. I always say firewood has absolutely no value. Its the service that does and thats what people are paying for. Still most think they are actually doing you a favor by giving you the wood for taking down a tree that is most always in a difficult spot. A case of wanting something for nothing.

Gripe

I love Craig's and use it ALL the time, but I have noticed a disturbing trend: It has made begging acceptable.Every day there will be ads asking for valuable items for free.On our list right now there are ads such as WANTED FREE FIREWOOD, OAK,HEDGE OR HICKORY ONLY, or WILL TAKE ANY UNWANTED DRY FIREWOOD,or I AM GOING TO BE NEEDING SOME FIREWOOD SOON this listed along with maybe a dozen FIREWOOD FOR SALE ads.My current favorite IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE SOME FIREWOOD SO I CAN BE WARM THIS WINTER...well duh, why do you think a bunch of us spend so much time gathering the stuff? This phenomenom extends to woodstoves as well: WANTED FREE OR VERY,VERY CHEEP(sic)WOODSTOVE:NO CRACKS! I have never gotten free firewood in my life.At best, I have bartered my labor and skills for someones unwanted trees.

I love Craig's and use it ALL the time, but I have noticed a disturbing trend: It has made begging acceptable.Every day there will be ads asking for valuable items for free.On our list right now there are ads such as WANTED FREE FIREWOOD, OAK,HEDGE OR HICKORY ONLY, or WILL TAKE ANY UNWANTED DRY FIREWOOD,or I AM GOING TO BE NEEDING SOME FIREWOOD SOON this listed along with maybe a dozen FIREWOOD FOR SALE ads.My current favorite IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE SOME FIREWOOD SO I CAN BE WARM THIS WINTER...well duh, why do you think a bunch of us spend so much time gathering the stuff? This phenomenom extends to woodstoves as well: WANTED FREE OR VERY,VERY CHEEP(sic)WOODSTOVE:NO CRACKS! I have never gotten free firewood in my life.At best, I have bartered my labor and skills for someones unwanted trees.

got them around here too....almost word for word.

one of my favorites is: "i'm handicapped and can't cut wood, so if you can deliver some free, split, seasoned wood...."

Back