Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for someone who can dig out & cut the tree

00Y0Y_4vlKfnvapQe_600x450.jpg

Hi
I am looking someone who can cut the tree its in our front yard close to the house.

I am looking someone Who can dig it out from the roots all the way back.

we can pay $100 cash & you can take all fire wood free.

I am located close to Hollins university off plantation rd.

serious inquires only plz.

That's gotta be the best so far. I dig out rootballs and a tree that size is a couple hours of work with a good size mini ex which is easily a $500 bill. Then another few hundred to dispose of the rootball. And what, $2,500 to remove the tree? I suppose he'd let you bring in a couple yards of fill, pack it in, dress with topsoil, and apply seed and straw for that $100.

Wow.

A place we lived at when I was a kid had a walnut tree in the yard. I don't remember it being more than maybe 10 inches DBH. My dad wanted it gone so we started digging around the treee by hand, cutting roots as we went. We got enough dug out so we could pull the tree over and get the rootball out. Don't remember much after getting it down as far as who got the wood or who cut it up.

i was gonna send the guy with ms361, priced higher than a new ms362, a message asking maybe if he could hold it for me maybe for a couple weeks cuz my cousins sister's brother has an uncle with a brother in law who lived somewhere near central michigan that might be able to swing by and have a look at it if he got license back yet and his old chevy is still running.

i was gonna send the guy with ms361, priced higher than a new ms362, a message asking maybe if he could hold it for me maybe for a couple weeks cuz my cousins sister's brother has an uncle with a brother in law who lived somewhere near central michigan that might be able to swing by and have a look at it if he got license back yet and his old chevy is still running.

I have been Amazed lately at all the people on CL or Offer Up, trying to sell used, or even "New in the Box" items at or very near MSRP. Seriously, if I wanted to pay MSRP, I would go to the store and buy NIB WITH a warranty :angry::dumb2:

And of course I have seen the "Free" Maple firewood, 2-3 Cords worth at LEAST $750, Is that Seasoned? NO , is that split? NO What length are the rounds cut to? Uhm, the tree is STILL STANDING, and you GET to take the limbs and debris TOO!!!, at least $750 worth of wood there. :laughing:, Yeah well there MIGHT be $750 worth of wood there IF it is 3 cords, Seasoned, Split and delivered, that still standing tree, BETWEEN your house and the POWER Lines, and just 25' from the Neighbors house is going to COST you well over $750 to take down, and the tree service Company DOESN'T WANT the "$750 Worth of Wood" in it. Sorry, and NO, I'm NOT kidding, Good Luck with your tree.;)

Doug

I'm always curious if these people actually believe the deal is fair or they got a removal quote and didn't like what they heard so they're hoping for an alternative solution, my guess it's the latter.

I'm sure that some are looking for an alternative after getting a professional bid, but I think that a lot also see ads for $250+/cord, and don't realize that real value ISN'T in the wood itself, but in the time/labor/equipment it takes to TURN that tree into FIREWOOD. Just storing the wood for a year, or more to let it season, is not recognized by many as having "Value".

Another one that I LOVE is when people quote "Prices" off ebay, they see these REDICULOUSLY high "Buy it Now" prices that have been listed repeatedly for 6 months or more, there is a REASON, that it has been listed for 6 months, and NOT SOLD. If you want to use ebay for pricing, go to the "SOLD" listings in the search function and you will see what things ACTUALLY SOLD FOR, except, that Lowers their expectations, they like the unsold BIN prices better,wouldn't we all, if we were selling ;)

Doug

I like this thread because I do get a lot of laughs from it. A couple years ago I called some one a knuckle head, thinking that some one would actually pay them, to take down a big tree. Coming from a family owned tree business I do look at scrounging differently from some one with no source of wood. But, I didn't expect the response I got from a couple of the members here. They reamed me a new one, saying they shopped CL all the time and paid homeowners to let them take down good firewood trees, all the time. Now I just keep my big trap shut and laugh at the home owner trying to sell his good firewood tree, and the couple members here that actually pay people to let them work real hard, taking down a good firewood tree, Joe.

I like this thread because I do get a lot of laughs from it. A couple years ago I called some one a knuckle head, thinking that some one would actually pay them, to take down a big tree. Coming from a family owned tree business I do look at scrounging differently from some one with no source of wood. But, I didn't expect the response I got from a couple of the members here. They reamed me a new one, saying they shopped CL all the time and paid homeowners to let them take down good firewood trees, all the time. Now I just keep my big trap shut and laugh at the home owner trying to sell his good firewood tree, and the couple members here that actually pay people to let them work real hard, taking down a good firewood tree, Joe.
Oh I hear ya there. Things got a whole lot different for me when I went into the business too. Now I look at these and laugh. I've done some questionable removals for firewood before I had a name and insurance. I was younger and more care free then too so the risk was acceptable. Not anymore... They don't like my price, that's too bad, put it on Craigslist for free and call me when it's laying in your bedroom

I never paid, but I scrounged every stick of firewood and carried it out of ditches and swamps and anything else for free. Then I started to realize that I could be more selective because there's a whole lot more went out there than what I originally thought

Free Red Oak Tree (G.R.) hide this posting
00Z0Z_4tui0J29Db4_600x450.jpg

marker-shadow.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

make / manufacturer: Mother nature
model name / number: Red Oak
size / dimensions: Large

Free Oak tree. You cut and haul ALL away. Cannot drop large branches in driveway. Must be licensed and insured.

Please do my $2500 dollar removal for free.

Insured but working for free. America.

I'd lay the third one back into the house and peel out haha.
You are MUCH nicer than me. I'd lay the first one on the house and stand there looking dumb, and tell him to call his insurance, because I'm just a dumb hack, and he should have checked the insurance that I don't have! Although, before I retired, I was licensed and insured. But, back then I didn't work for free. I just remembered something, I still don't work for free, Joe.

I'm sure that some are looking for an alternative after getting a professional bid, but I think that a lot also see ads for $250+/cord, and don't realize that real value ISN'T in the wood itself, but in the time/labor/equipment it takes to TURN that tree into FIREWOOD. Just storing the wood for a year, or more to let it season, is not recognized by many as having "Value".

Another one that I LOVE is when people quote "Prices" off ebay, they see these REDICULOUSLY high "Buy it Now" prices that have been listed repeatedly for 6 months or more, there is a REASON, that it has been listed for 6 months, and NOT SOLD. If you want to use ebay for pricing, go to the "SOLD" listings in the search function and you will see what things ACTUALLY SOLD FOR, except, that Lowers their expectations, they like the unsold BIN prices better,wouldn't we all, if we were selling ;)

Doug

I hear ya. I'm into old cars and I see it all the time. A guy doesn't want to sell his Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Classic Car and his wife says, "Sell it!" So he takes his $5k car and puts it on ebay for $15k or $25k or whatever. He tells his wife that's how much it's worth and so she starts seeing dollar signs in her head. He can't lower the price or he'll have to admit he's an idiot for thinking it's worth more. His wife doesn't want to lower the price and admit to herself that she's not getting the $15k. Sometimes I think guys do this so they don't ever have to sell the car?

Latest posts

Back