Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some of you know, I has a great score on C.L a couple of weeks ago (see Craiglist Locust).So, with high hopes, I answered another "Free Firewood" ad a few days ago by providing my name, address and # to the e-mail account.I got a call yesterday from the woman who told me that she had two trees down, and if I did "a little work" I could have the wood.I didn't hang up until she had mentioned 'new roof', 'replace rotted fascia and soffit' and, I think, 'paint'.After all, she said, she was "just a woman" and couldn't do these things! I just want to know whose ex-wife this was...

(scratches chin and smiles as he asks) Is she in Danville ? If so ... I bet I know.

You know of course that we are just big, strong, dumb men that have nothing better to do than follow them around waiting for something more to do.

Suppers done , kids are fed I'm headed back out to cut till dark -thirty.

Last edited:
Sorry.I put that little jab in there just for you.Worst part was that she was just getting warmed up when I hung up on her!
Don't want to be a thread buster, but you should have seen all the people staring at me while I'm splitting Black Walnut by the sidewalk.I could have sold the pile 3 or 4 times.

Sorry.I put that little jab in there just for you.Worst part was that she was just getting warmed up when I hung up on her!
Don't want to be a thread buster, but you should have seen all the people staring at me while I'm splitting Black Walnut by the sidewalk.I could have sold the pile 3 or 4 times.

i'll bet.

i'm trying to work out a deal now on one huge walnut tree. problem is he wants it down...his wife doesn't. they're an older couple on a fixed income, so i'm trying to get them a deal to just have it dropped.

i said i would do the clean up providing i got all the wood. i'd take it down, but there are fences and two sheds under it and i don't have insurance. this thing is huge!!

I've got to admit, it's hard to get used to cutting and splitting something I always thought was for furniture only.I was looking at a barn in Iowa once, about 50x120, made entirely of Black Walnut.I couldn't get my s#$t together fast enough so the guy dug a hole and pushed the whole thing in. It had 20"beams over 50' long:cry:

It is simply amazing the # of people who really believe that getting the wood is worth the labor to remove a tree. I always say firewood has absolutely no value. Its the service that does and thats what people are paying for. Still most think they are actually doing you a favor by giving you the wood for taking down a tree that is most always in a difficult spot. A case of wanting something for nothing.

Bingo!!! My neighbor thinks she is doing me a favor by letting me cut up her crappy small boxelder trees and letting me keep the wood. I am only doing it to be neighborly. And only cutting up the wood because I already dropped the trees. After last time, when I chewed up my chains a bit and was offered nothing for gas or chains, I said to myself, "enough is enough", let her see how much it will be to get a pro to come and cut down 20 12-18" diameter trees and clean them up. I bet all you pro's out there are dying at the chance to down these trees in exchange for keeping the firewood!!!

I like the free ones that say,free washer(not working),free tv (broken) :laugh: I wonder if anyone really goes out there and picks up there garbage :ices_rofl: there was one that said free grass clippings,you cut.

Well, I am about to head out to my Craigslist job, everyone pray for me. I havent seen the tree yet, and I am hoping that it is a good one. I didnt pay for me to drive down there to look, I just figured to load up and hope for the best.
I reckon I am going to have to say a lot of NO in response to his requests for other work done.
I will post what I find when I get back.
Already nervous about this job, and I aint even there yet.

Well, I am about to head out to my Craigslist job, everyone pray for me. I havent seen the tree yet, and I am hoping that it is a good one. I didnt pay for me to drive down there to look, I just figured to load up and hope for the best.
I reckon I am going to have to say a lot of NO in response to his requests for other work done.

and don't forget your kazones.

sounds like you're gonna need them.

Is this the same job you posted about on the first page? If so, I'm surprised you even 'took' this one!

Good luck...

Well this ought to be good:) :dizzy: :) :dizzy:!!!

I like the free ones that say,free washer(not working),free tv (broken) :laugh: I wonder if anyone really goes out there and picks up there garbage :ices_rofl: there was one that said free grass clippings,you cut.

Craigslist is amazingly effective for getting rid of junk. Last summer, faced with the task of cleaning out my brothers "junk house" we placed loads of broken lawn equipment, junk appliances, non-working electronics, stained and rain soaked sofa/love seat, double hung windows (take outs), and anything else you can imagine out by the curb. One craigslist add, with lots of pics and "FREE FREE" on it and that stuff would mostly dissapear overnight! Saved use lots of disposal fees not to mention the cost of hauling it. ;-)

I hope you are on your way home Avalancher. That sounds like a nightmare. If you do the job, keep one eye on your saw everytime you set it down. Otherwise it sounds like it might be off doing some other cutting.

I thought this was an actual joke thread. You guys are telling me that you actually respond to these 'free' firewood if you take the tree down ads?
:jawdrop:

Around here, the pros (and many hacks with saws) take the tree down AND take the wood and get at least $700 to do so. Y'all are nuts.

I thought this was an actual joke thread. You guys are telling me that you actually respond to these 'free' firewood if you take the tree down ads?
:jawdrop:

Around here, the pros (and many hacks with saws) take the tree down AND take the wood and get at least $700 to do so. Y'all are nuts.

perhaps.....but we enjoy being nuts.

What happens when you drop that 'free' tree on the guy's house?

i never take that kind of risk...speaking for myself, that is.

anyone dropping a tree near a house, car, fence, etc should have insurance.

i refuse those jobs.

Back