Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's the one I want :yes:, I've been searching for one for a while, I've found one or two 346's through the yers, but not that one :D.

Well you have just been buying the Highly Vaunted, but "Standard" 346XP, Now if you find the Mythical 346XXP+, you can Mill that 58" Highly VALUABLE Black Walnut, then with a simple change of B&C put on the 18" for firewood duty, or a 14" B&C for limbing, but you have to find that XXP+ model ;)

Doug :cheers:

Well you have just been buying the Highly Vaunted, but "Standard" 346XP, Now if you find the Mythical 346XXP+, you can Mill that 58" Highly VALUABLE Black Walnut, then with a simple change of B&C put on the 18" for firewood duty, or a 14" B&C for limbing, but you have to find that XXP+ model ;)

I believe that Mythical 346XXP+ should weigh in no more than 10 lbs so us old folks can handle it:innocent::clap:

Not a funny ad, but I do wish he would split them up. There's a pic of an 064 that looks really nice.....
View attachment 657110

I have been in Model Railroading since I was a little kid, and we see this scenario ALL THE TIME, someone has a HUGE collection, and not only thinks that people will be lining up to buy it ALL in one lot, but also think that they will get HIGH BOOK VALUE on the Entire collection(Most often VERY LITTLE qualifies as High Book Value;)) You especially see this when Dad or GrandPa pass away, and the seller has no intrest OR KNOWLEDGE of what they are selling.

Then of course the reply is "That is what they are selling for on ebay" which of course is the Highly Inflated Buy it Now prices (Think "Highly VALUABLE Black Walnut :laughing::buttkick:) of course they NEVER look at the "Completed Sales" listings, THAT would burst their Value Bubble.

The absolute worst, is some people think that ANY Old Lionel, is going to put the Kids through College, Pay Off the Mortgage, or Fund their Retirement, sometimes all three:surprised3:, even though it was played with HARD by a 6 year old stored loose in an open box in the Attic/Basement for 30 years is dented,chipped, rusty and has missing parts:confused:

Yep, compared to Model Railroad enthusiasts Chainsaw sellers are Lightweights when it comes to Unreasonable selling expectations ;)

Stihl Plenty of Entertainment value here too though:rolleyes:

I have been in Model Railroading since I was a little kid, and we see this scenario ALL THE TIME, someone has a HUGE collection, and not only thinks that people will be lining up to buy it ALL in one lot, but also think that they will get HIGH BOOK VALUE on the Entire collection(Most often VERY LITTLE qualifies as High Book Value;)) You especially see this when Dad or GrandPa pass away, and the seller has no intrest OR KNOWLEDGE of what they are selling.

Then of course the reply is "That is what they are selling for on ebay" which of course is the Highly Inflated Buy it Now prices (Think "Highly VALUABLE Black Walnut :laughing::buttkick:) of course they NEVER look at the "Completed Sales" listings, THAT would burst their Value Bubble.

The absolute worst, is some people think that ANY Old Lionel, is going to put the Kids through College, Pay Off the Mortgage, or Fund their Retirement, sometimes all three:surprised3:, even though it was played with HARD by a 6 year old stored loose in an open box in the Attic/Basement for 30 years is dented,chipped, rusty and has missing parts:confused:

Yep, compared to Model Railroad enthusiasts Chainsaw sellers are Lightweights when it comes to Unreasonable selling expectations ;)

Stihl Plenty of Entertainment value here too though:rolleyes:

Doug, what do you think I could get for my Lionel 4110 WS, 1948 Electronic set. Complete with VW transformer, Radio transmitter, coal elevator, semaphore, track and switches, no boxes. I think the value on all old train sets have dropped over the past 10 or so years. A dealer offered me $3500 20 years ago. I probably should have taken it. But, I would have just bought more guns and saws. The 4110 WS is pretty rare.

railroad gave me a windbreaker jacket with logo once. I was wearing it riding the old Southern Cresent home and a guy from England offered me $20 for it. That was a long time ago, before Amtrac took it over. The Southern Cresent was the last privately owned passenger train in the US.... Oh, I sold the jacket.

Doug, what do you think I could get for my Lionel 4110 WS, 1948 Electronic set. Complete with VW transformer, Radio transmitter, coal elevator, semaphore, track and switches, no boxes. I think the value on all old train sets have dropped over the past 10 or so years. A dealer offered me $3500 20 years ago. I probably should have taken it. But, I would have just bought more guns and saws. The 4110 WS is pretty rare.

Hi RF383, I don't have any post war Lionel, I have read a little about the remote control set, it was very advanced for it's time, and a pretty low numbers produced set.

Yes the values have declined, the Post War Lionel market peaked in the Mid 80's to late 90's. In that time frame many of the men who were boys in the 50's and 60's were at a point in their lives where the Kids were out of College and the house, they were well established in careers and doing well, with disposable income available, many started yearning for, and able to afford the "Neat Things" that they couldn't afford as kids, so the values really went crazy. Sadly that market is shrinking, and the Post war values with it.

Pristine Collector condition items still command decent prices, but the "Well Used" runners market has fallen. There are some younger people who still appreciate the simplicity and durability of the vintage trains, but the supply is definitely greater than the demand in that niche.

Trust me there is the CAD equivalent in Model Railroading, the average model railroader is a hoarder that would put all but the worst cases of CAD to SHAME. I Personally have equipment in "N" scale, "HO" scale, 027, "O" Gauge, "O" Scale and Gauge #1 which most people call "G" Scale/Gauge, but there are about half a dozen different "SCALES" that all run on Gauge 1 track, that niche can be so confusing that it can frustrate even some advanced/experienced modelers. I Have a Lot of HO, and "O" with the "O" being my Favorite, there is a lot of really nice semi-scale 3 Rail O Gauge that can operate on sharper curves, but then I also got drawn into the Scale Size 3 Rail O equipment, I have probably more a dozen Locomotives in the price range of a 395XP to a 3120XP, with more in the 550xp-372xp price range, though they are not all that expensive, if I had to guess, just in O and HO, I have around 75-100 locomotives, in O alone, I have probably 50+ Passenger Cars, and 250+ freight cars, add in track, accessories transformers, buildings tools etc, I could open my own well stocked small Train Store, enough to drive my Wife NUTS, enough so that she ENCOURAGES my CAD/CSMAD. I have gotten to the point where I will probably start selling a lot of it this Winter, when I have the time to ebay it, and the market for those items is stronger.

I'm afraid that with my limited vintage experience, I can't give you an estimate of your set, but CONDITION, and RARITY are what will have the greatest effect on value.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do with that set, it should be a very desirable set depending on condition

Having an extensive pile of Lionel and Flyer I can second the above. [emoji15]
ccc2680e5d5a469aa158fce893ee607f.jpg

I had termed, or named myself a collector.. I guess now the people of authority have coined me a hoarder.. I prefer the softer label of times way,way, long ago of "hunter-gatherer". No matter B what definitions are given, the bottom line is..,,,. I ENJOY WHAT I DO!!!....P.S. Nice train stuff.. I started with trains and slot cars, (remember those?) in grade school. I don't know if I moved up or down the collection ladder when I started on chainsaws. I lost 40 yrs working. So I'm kinda like a kid starting out. Everything is fairly new and exciting.. Anyway, I vented somewhat. Cheers.. K

Hi RF383, I don't have any post war Lionel, I have read a little about the remote control set, it was very advanced for it's time, and a pretty low numbers produced set.

Yes the values have declined, the Post War Lionel market peaked in the Mid 80's to late 90's. In that time frame many of the men who were boys in the 50's and 60's were at a point in their lives where the Kids were out of College and the house, they were well established in careers and doing well, with disposable income available, many started yearning for, and able to afford the "Neat Things" that they couldn't afford as kids, so the values really went crazy. Sadly that market is shrinking, and the Post war values with it.

Pristine Collector condition items still command decent prices, but the "Well Used" runners market has fallen. There are some younger people who still appreciate the simplicity and durability of the vintage trains, but the supply is definitely greater than the demand in that niche.

Trust me there is the CAD equivalent in Model Railroading, the average model railroader is a hoarder that would put all but the worst cases of CAD to SHAME. I Personally have equipment in "N" scale, "HO" scale, 027, "O" Gauge, "O" Scale and Gauge #1 which most people call "G" Scale/Gauge, but there are about half a dozen different "SCALES" that all run on Gauge 1 track, that niche can be so confusing that it can frustrate even some advanced/experienced modelers. I Have a Lot of HO, and "O" with the "O" being my Favorite, there is a lot of really nice semi-scale 3 Rail O Gauge that can operate on sharper curves, but then I also got drawn into the Scale Size 3 Rail O equipment, I have probably more a dozen Locomotives in the price range of a 395XP to a 3120XP, with more in the 550xp-372xp price range, though they are not all that expensive, if I had to guess, just in O and HO, I have around 75-100 locomotives, in O alone, I have probably 50+ Passenger Cars, and 250+ freight cars, add in track, accessories transformers, buildings tools etc, I could open my own well stocked small Train Store, enough to drive my Wife NUTS, enough so that she ENCOURAGES my CAD/CSMAD. I have gotten to the point where I will probably start selling a lot of it this Winter, when I have the time to ebay it, and the market for those items is stronger.

I'm afraid that with my limited vintage experience, I can't give you an estimate of your set, but CONDITION, and RARITY are what will have the greatest effect on value.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do with that set, it should be a very desirable set depending on condition

You don't have to tell me about the market drivers. 50,000 baseball cards! If I had a bicycle, I'd put them in the spokes. My buddy is doing a yard sale/flea market thing next weekend, and I'd take $400 for all of them. If I can't get that, I'll post a youtube of me and my shooting buddies, shooting out the eyes on the cards at 25 yards. I just put a Fecker 10X scope on my Savage Model 1919 NRA Match Rifle. I've managed to sell most of my Mopars for decent money. The only one I have left is a 68 Plymouth Formula S convertible. It's one of only 64 built, so it has the rare factor (rarefish383), and the desirable factor, but not the condition. I keep telling my family to bury me in it.

My Father Inlaw gave me the set for my son when he was born. My son had super sensitive hearing when he was little, and the coal elevator was so load, he'd grab his ears and run off crying. Now he says it was one of his favorite toys, but doesn't want it. So, since I like it, I'll just leave it on the shelf till I'm so destitute I'm wearing an old Homelite saw case for boxers. The FIL also gave me a pre war set with a small engine and three Pullman cars, and I have my wife's uncles's 52 Marx B&O Set in mint condition. We were at a family reunion and her grandmother told me to throw away the two card board boxes in the garage. When I picked them up they were heavy and rattled. I looked and it was the most immaculate train set you have ever seen. I asked her uncle if he wanted it and he said no, he was only allowed to set it up Christmas Eve, and had to take it down when the tree came down. He was really never allowed to play with it, so it had no value to him. Those are the only 3 sets I plan on keeping. I have more saws to buy. Was talking to an old gun collector friend a couple weeks ago. He made a VERY good living logging in New England and collects a lot of the same stuff I do. Turns out he has a very nice Homelite 7-29. Most of his guns are way beyond my resources, but I lucked into one that he would like to have, so some trading may go on for the 7-29.

Only in Minnesota! Yeah we have a couple of dummies in the cities, I promise if you get outside of the metro area there are less people who think others will buy sticks by the lb. [emoji23]
By (buy)? the pound nevertheless.. I usually have to pay the dump by the pound. Something ain't right in woodland TOTO!!!

Latest posts

Back