Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a $300 saw, and if you paid $375 for a pair of chaps, a case, and a hat, I’m pretty sure you can get it cheaper. But if anybody’s interested, there’s the ad.
Around here, I would expect:
saw $300
case $45
chaps $70
helmet $50
fuel $8
(3) wedges $18
grease gun $15
OEM bar oil $16
tool kit $20
----------------------
total $542 (+ tax) = $585, new.

Might be more at some stores ($9 chain at Menard's goes for $26 at some hardware stores, and $1.50 files go for as much as $6!!!).
I would see this as his starting offer - lot of guys like to do that on CL to 'negotiate', or to 'see what they can get'. Someone might get a good deal at $400.

Philbert

I posted a used, pro-grade drill press / lathe chuck recently on local CL. Summary of one exchange, over several emails:

Him: Gee, I really want it, but that's a long way to drive for a chuck (maybe 20 miles?).
Me: Sorry, this is where it is.
Him: Do you ever drive down this way?
Me: No.
Him: That's gonna cost me more than $5 in gas, plus the time.
Me: Add $10 and I will mail it to you.
Him: (. . . crickets . . . ).

Philbert
Well on the up side at least you were fore warned of the trouble you would be in for. When they start crap before the deal you can be sure they are trouble.

I just sold a saw that I forgot that I even had on CL...

21 emails over 3 days and 4 phone calls...
Then drove a half hour away....

Last one I will ever waste my time on.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Guy that ran me through the ringer on this deal sends me pics of some sludge running through the clutch cover today....

WTF do you think he put in the oil tank???

I ran the saw for at least an hour buried in red oak, refueled and filled tank and ran half of that out a week before I sold it with 0 issues!!
b6d800547457cc1ce52dcb7b3c575043.jpg

I hope he's not blaming you for it. I always remind people who buy anything from me that I have a tail light warranty. As soon as I can't see 'em, no more warranty. Also why I never sell to friends and family.

Looks to me like he was using up the old diesel drain oil. Nothing better for the oil pump, bar and chain!

When people spend good money on equipment I just can't figure out why they try to pinch pennies. It's like using cheap oil and filters on a $50k truck. Doesn't make sense.

Lee

I hope he's not blaming you for it. I always remind people who buy anything from me that I have a tail light warranty. As soon as I can't see 'em, no more warranty. Also why I never sell to friends and family.

Looks to me like he was using up the old diesel drain oil. Nothing better for the oil pump, bar and chain!

When people spend good money on equipment I just can't figure out why they try to pinch pennies. It's like using cheap oil and filters on a $50k truck. Doesn't make sense.

Lee
Yeah that's obviously not bar oil...
Wonder if he dumped premix oil in the bar oil tank....

Guy that ran me through the ringer on this deal sends me pics of some sludge running through the clutch cover today....

I ran the saw for at least an hour buried in red oak, refueled and filled tank and ran half of that out a week before I sold it with 0 issues!!

Used engine oil and saw dust.

Looks like he's cutting sandy beachwood, the chain is probably duller than hell and only producing powder instead of chips which, coupled with the fact that he's using used motor oil as bar oil probably produced that paste.

i have watched this guy try to sell this saw for about a year, this is not his first ad trying to sell it. I was rooting for him getting the 600 asking price over the last year, still no bites at his much lower re pricing. That being said he was quite rude when i offered him 250...the link is a pic of the ad
https://prnt.sc/whwpv3

Tell him you buy broken saws then promptly offer him 40 bucks and he delivers it...bet he fuqs off since it looks like he used motor oil and created sawdust paste from cutting slabs with a dull chain.

Typical CL exchange.

I had a Craftsman radial arm saw listed. Guy says he wants to look at it. Comes over, looks it over, measures it and tells me he just wanted to measure it. He had no intentions to buy it from me. Wasted a half hour of my time for nothing! :dumb2:

Lee
You should have kicked him I'm the shins.

Latest posts

Back