Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually there's nothing unreasonable about that. I'm starting to grow bamboo myself. There's a market for that stuff.

Jeez, I have bamboo on my property, I cut a thousand dollars worth and threw it in the woods last year, by those prices anyway.

I do use it to make temporary poles for things, but I wouldn't pay money for a pole that lasts one year or two at best. Got locust that I can also cut for free that will last ten years plus.

I even tried burning it. It's tremendous work to process (you have to ventilate every segment so it doesn't explode, and the branches are annoying even with a machete)- and then after it's dry, it is mostly air by volume. You could heat your house with it (and I did for about a week) but for that amount of work you could heat for a couple months if you'd used the time to go get some oak instead.

Who buys it, and what do they want it for?

Get yourself a trencher and pour a concrete moat around that bamboo now, or you'll be chasing it in all directions forever. It's awful invasive stuff, and murder to get rid of (after you cut it down you have to go back with a pickaxe and dig out every single stalk or it will keep growing from there AND leave a sharp little landmine for you to drive over later).

Go see what landscaping and garden stores sell it for. I thought it was a pretty good deal too. Plant stakes, tiki torch holders, decorative elements, etc.

Philbert

If I find someplace that sells it, I'm asking if they want a new supplier!

I use it for canoe poles and wood pile markers every year.... but I have a couple truckloads rotting in the treeline right now.

I think it didn't occur to me that anyone would pay money for bamboo because my brain has it filed under "invasive weeds that stab you", which is a category with not too many other things in it. :p

It grows all over here too, people who have try to stop it spreading.

I read that about 24" of concrete under the surface is enough that the rhizomes won't go under.

Not many people do that.

Got me a new machete and pickaxe handle for this year... told the wife I needed a Bobcat and she approved the chainsaw and hand tool budget pretty quick after that! :surprised3:

If I find someplace that sells it, I'm asking if they want a new supplier!
MANY , many years ago I worked for a chain of nursery / garden stores. We used to import it from ? I did not realize that it grew in the continental US. I would have thought 'Asia', 'South America', etc. Remember, people pay stupid money for birch logs, and 'real' wood' coasters from Etsy, so functional bamboo, at reasonable prices, should sell easier than firewood. I would try local hardware and home centers, nurseries, etc.: the national chains probably only buy from a central source. Or offer bundles on CL, like that guy.

BTW, I recall from years ago, that 'full house 'chain is best for cutting bamboo with a chainsaw. In the US we can only get it in 1/4" pitch, but someone sent me an Oregon ad from Japan where they sold it in 3/8 low profile ('Picco') chain.

Chain Sequence 2.png

Philbert

I have a barrier down around my bamboo. No worries there.
Jetsam, you likely have a variety of bamboo that isn't really worth much. The more valuable bamboo has thicker walls and larger stems. I snagged a bunch of free stuff from around here and it's not any good for crafting or building. MAYBE strong enough for some garden stakes, but that's about it.

I'm growing 5 varieties including Moso - the giant timber bamboo. Supposed to get up to 6" wide, but only in ideal conditions, and I can't get that here in Ill-a-noise.

MANY , many years ago I worked for a chain of nursery / garden stores. We used to import it from ? I did not realize that it grew in the continental US. I would have thought 'Asia', 'South America', etc. Remember, people pay stupid money for birch logs, and 'real' wood' coasters from Etsy, so functional bamboo, at reasonable prices, should sell easier than firewood. I would try local hardware and home centers, nurseries, etc.: the national chains probably only buy from a central source. Or offer bundles on CL, like that guy.

BTW, I recall from years ago, that 'full house 'chain is best for cutting bamboo with a chainsaw. In the US we can only get it in 1/4" pitch, but someone sent me an Oregon ad from Japan where they sold it in 3/8 low profile ('Picco') chain.

View attachment 892919

Philbert
I've never seen full house before... odd looking. I bet you set the rakers high and take little tiny bites... good for bamboo because it's hollow and the cutters don't grab the edges and twist the stalk so much.

I try to keep mine in its area without eradicating it.

For maintenance, I use a pickaxe, a double bit wood axe, a machete, and a riding mower. The pickaxe is the one you get some hours on there... gotta dig up the rhizomes and the tire poppers. (Tip: Don't ever cut off a stalk down low because you will forget about it, and it will stab you later. Keep 'em high enough to be obvious.)

I think my "big" stalks get up to 3" maybe, most of what I cut down and throw down the hill is 0-2.5".

This is cool, I'm learnin' stuff in a comedy thread!

Back