Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some of you know, I has a great score on C.L a couple of weeks ago (see Craiglist Locust).So, with high hopes, I answered another "Free Firewood" ad a few days ago by providing my name, address and # to the e-mail account.I got a call yesterday from the woman who told me that she had two trees down, and if I did "a little work" I could have the wood.I didn't hang up until she had mentioned 'new roof', 'replace rotted fascia and soffit' and, I think, 'paint'.After all, she said, she was "just a woman" and couldn't do these things! I just want to know whose ex-wife this was...
"I'm giving you something for free that will pay for your Disney vacation, therefore I own you"...I have similar encounters when someone gives me their fridge and dishwasher for scrap

Here is an email from my last Craigslist person after I told him that I would be there tomorrow to take down a medium sized red oak in his backyard.

"yes, that's fine. while you're here, if u wouldn't mind cutting down some dogwoods & some off my magnolia & mulberry trees in the back that u can easily reach from the ground, i'd like u to do that, too. u can have any & all of the wood that u cut from those, too.
i also have some limbs hanging over my house from some kinda tree,i need you to climb up there and trim them back.my neighbor wants her litle trees trimmed in her yard next door, i told her that u wood do it for me.or i'll borrow your utility chainsaw & cut it up myself if u can just get it on the ground for me. thanks!
and my freind says that u can grind the stumps down to the ground with your chainsaw,just use a old chain and wash your saw with a garden hose real good to get the dirt out.is that okay?"

I am thinking that maybe this job is going to be a hassle, full of "whileuratits"
Wash my saw?I think not!Loan you my saw?I think not!
"you must wipe the royal arse hole at request as well"

"while your at it" is so common in the tree removal industry. Once in a while I have neighbours walking over to my junk removal job at a house who act like I'm city garbage collection.
I just ask people if they know how much the service or the free wood, garbage or scrap metal is worth...typical answer. I dont know

This one actually doesn't seem like a bad deal to you get to the third picture and then it's like RUN!
Not that I need any firewood right now as I have a couple years worth c/s/s already and a couple more years worth laying behind the garage waiting to be done and a friend who had a whole bunch of hardwood dropped at his rental about 3 miles from me and he is waiting on me to go get it out of there but its in a wet area so gotta find the right time to do it. Just bored at work and looking for funny crap to kill time so thought I would share some of them.
Screenshot_2021-04-21-10-27-46.png

Screenshot_2021-04-21-10-27-51.png

Screenshot_2021-04-21-10-27-55.png

View attachment 902574View attachment 902574
Notice they made it very apparent that YOU had to do all the work, including cleanup. I'm also curious if YOU really have to "chop" it down, or if YOU are allowed to use YOUR saw to do all THEIR work. And once again, it's firewood even when it's a live standing tree!
Oh Lord, where’s Gunny when we need him.

Not a craigslist story, but when looking for tree cutters for wood supply, someone told me he was cutting an apple tree, so I went to pick the wood. Rolled up to the address, no truck at the site, but a Chevy Sonic is parked in front on the street. I walk up the driveway, lots of VERY THIN branches in a big heap in the driveway. I got around to the back and not hating on people from India or anywhere else, I am a little Indian myself from descent through my ancestral Trinidadian roots, just making the point that you could see these guys were out of the tree cutting loop in one way, I'll explain the other ways. The tree was curled over and not high so they didnt even need a ladder. I asked where's the firewood, dude said its in the driveway! He has a mini chainsaw, taking forever to make a cut. I said he needs to sharpen the chain. He said "that's Home Depot's responsibility". I'm not a tree cutter and the amount of treee jobs that I've been to back then not is not really worth mentioning to you guys in the forum but I just ripped into the guy and his employee was like "ya" to his boss everytime I made a point. They spend at least two days on the job

Our Craigslist in Toronto is pretty dead but Kijiji is what we use. I think this guy moved into a house and had no use for the years old firewood on the rack, so he posted to give away. Mind you he didn't know that the wood would be disintegrated and he messaged me about making a mess because of the sawdust and bark all over the ground

A lot of guys without their own wooded property would jump at the chance to fell some trees for the firewood. Just like a cutting permit in a National Forest. Depends on the condition, terms, etc.: if it's next to a greenhouse, power lines, alligators, etc., or if they expect you to paint the barn afterwards, or 'borrow your saw' for a few more chores, that might be something else . . .

Philbert

An old Persian guy was the climber and a late 30s guy did the rest of the work, I like that they had a dump trailer and bobcat, but they would advertise free firewood come and load up and called every tree maple. He had an electric cord saw, not the smallest of them, but still. He took a week to cut a not so big and wide black locust. Bobcat wasn't always on site, but hed cut the biggest possible pieces, 8 to 12 ft foot-plus diameter limbs and 5 foot length 4 foot diameter trunks. I'm under 6 ft and immensely capable of moving big stuff but I ask why he cuts so big, he said because hes lazy. I watched a retiree show up for wood with his 2 door Hyundai hatchback turn around and leave.

Back