Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTF is ‘Etsy’?

When you absolutely cannot sell something on ebay, etsy is there for you.

Instructions for use:

1) Remove ebay listing
2) Break item to be sold into smallish pieces with a hammer or sawzall
3) Cover pieces in glitter or twine
4) List your new items and profit!

Remember to use appropriate names! It's not half of a broken mason jar with some sparkly **** glued to it, it's a bespoke collectible antique sparklehaven heirloom tea cozy.

When you absolutely cannot sell something on ebay, etsy is there for you.
From the sounds of it, selling on eBay isn't always an excellent experience. Too many have figured out how to game the system and get either free rental until they send it back, free exchange for their used version that they return to you, or free parts removed from your formerly functioning item that you receive. I have no idea - maybe etsy has the same liberal return policy. Better off sometimes just setting stuff at the side of the road, at least you don't pay shipping that way too.

I still prefer Craigslist - hand me cash and walk away.

since ebay got sold some time back,, its been a pile of **** since,,,,,wish someone would start another site...…….

As mentioned above, craigslist is local people, cash on the barrel. Pretty much the same as the old newspaper classifieds in terms of how the transaction works. Do be aware that you will get scammers, but they're usually pretty pathetic at it.

I listed a truck and a guy called from an area code three states away, wanted to pay with a credit card and have a tow company pick it up right away. He wanted to set me up to take cards, oh well then he will come over later with the cash but the guy is coming to pick it up now, didn't care what the price was.... yeeeeaaaah.

(It was funny, but whatever scammer call center he works in apparently finds enough idjits to pay the phone bill every month.)

if not a prank, need to send three or so toughys there to pound that arrogant ass to a pulp...………..
I went on Craigslist to look for chainsaws, not fighting, but when I saw your ad, I thought, " Why not both?"

Gripe

I love Craig's and use it ALL the time, but I have noticed a disturbing trend: It has made begging acceptable.Every day there will be ads asking for valuable items for free.On our list right now there are ads such as WANTED FREE FIREWOOD, OAK,HEDGE OR HICKORY ONLY, or WILL TAKE ANY UNWANTED DRY FIREWOOD,or I AM GOING TO BE NEEDING SOME FIREWOOD SOON this listed along with maybe a dozen FIREWOOD FOR SALE ads.My current favorite IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE SOME FIREWOOD SO I CAN BE WARM THIS WINTER...well duh, why do you think a bunch of us spend so much time gathering the stuff? This phenomenom extends to woodstoves as well: WANTED FREE OR VERY,VERY CHEEP(sic)WOODSTOVE:NO CRACKS! I have never gotten free firewood in my life.At best, I have bartered my labor and skills for someones unwanted trees.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite. The most I'm willing to do for good firewood is get it on the ground, haul off anything big enough to burn, and cut the rest of the limbs up into manageable size pieces. If it's not a good hardwood, I'm not even interested. Its hard work, I have thousands of $$ invested in my tools, and a never ending supply of work waiting for me to do at the house. You're not giving me free wood, I'm saving YOU hundreds of dollars for having a tree service come out and remove the tree, assuming you can ever get someone to actually show up. If you want me to put another tree on the ground, it's a minimum of $600 each. If you want it limbed and bucked, I'll quote it at $100/hr. Don't like my price, good because I don't want the extra work.

The correct way to tell some lazy, ignorant snowflake "no" includes adding a four letter adjective in front and replacing the word "no" with YOU. Then again, maybe I've grown to be a little bitter....

I'm pretty much the exact opposite. The most I'm willing to do for good firewood is get it on the ground, haul off anything big enough to burn, and cut the rest of the limbs up into manageable size pieces. If it's not a good hardwood, I'm not even interested. Its hard work, I have thousands of $$ invested in my tools, and a never ending supply of work waiting for me to do at the house. You're not giving me free wood, I'm saving YOU hundreds of dollars for having a tree service come out and remove the tree, assuming you can ever get someone to actually show up. If you want me to put another tree on the ground, it's a minimum of $600 each. If you want it limbed and bucked, I'll quote it at $100/hr. Don't like my price, good because I don't want the extra work.

The correct way to tell some lazy, ignorant snowflake "no" includes adding a four letter adjective in front and replacing the word "no" with YOU. Then again, maybe I've grown to be a little bitter....
I don't pay for firewood either, I used to have a few people that I could get it for nothing, the normal agreement was, I wouldn't drop it if there was anything of value around, or I felt it was too dangerous for me to handle, with or without equipment. One of the most recent encounters I was at a mates house cleaning up a oak that had fallen down some years ago, fortunately it was mostly propped up off the ground by the top. My mate came out and asked if I would help him unload some flooring that showed up. 2 skids 8 foot long 4 foot high and 4 foot wide. Showed up in a 52 foot trailer. Long story short, his wife got home in a bad mood about it, I told her it wasn't a big deal, good thing I was over getting wood and was available to help. Her reply was, well your getting all this wood for free, and I think you should be paying for it. Basically flat out told her I'd happily unload the truck, and good luck getting anyone to come and cut it, split it and hoof it from the woods behind the house out to the curb just doing them a favor of cleaning up something they didn't want to begin with. Fortunately my mate jumped in and settled her down. I didn't really need the wood but it was close to home and I could get it at my leisure. Funny thing now they just call me when a tree comes down and see if ill come and get it. Even allowed to drive the truck through the side yard if it's not too wet. I don't pay for wood, and I'm not about to start. Oil would be easier and cheaper once you figure time and equipment...

One of the most recent encounters I was at a mates house cleaning up a oak that had fallen down some years ago, fortunately it was mostly propped up off the ground by the top. My mate came out and asked if I would help him unload some flooring that showed up. 2 skids 8 foot long 4 foot high and 4 foot wide. Showed up in a 52 foot trailer.
Yeah, I'll gladly help a friend or most (but not all) of my neighbors out without giving it a second thought. Sounds like your mate explained what it would cost to have someone else do the work for them :) Glad his wife was able to understand the reality of the situation.

View attachment 914499
On St Louis area CL

o_O

$550 w/ bar for a new 372xp
Wow! That's a good deal! I'd buy it, but I already have a 70cc saw and besides, it's a Husky :laugh: .

This is something I would fall for until they would want advance payment or something. Seriously, what does the 'Seller' get out of a bogus ad. All they can get is your phone No? And if a person falls for it and prepays for it by some means, maybe they deserve to be taken?

Back