Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i never take that kind of risk...speaking for myself, that is.

anyone dropping a tree near a house, car, fence, etc should have insurance.

i refuse those jobs.

I recently checked out a "free black walnut trees" add on craigslist.
Two medium sized black walnuts, first one would be a straigtforward drop but into a residential street. The second "larger" one was with in 20 feet of the house and leaned towards and had branches over the house. I turned down the job because of this but told the owner I would clean up and remove the wood if she could get someone else to drop them. She agreed so I thought I had a good deal... a few days later I get a call to come and drop the smaller one that had no chance of hitting anything so I did and it went well. The larger one would be dropped by a "pro". Get another call and now the story is the larger one will be "topped" by the "pro" and then I can easily drop the remaining trunk. So I get to the site and there is plenty of the tree standing
including the branches over the house and she is expecting me to drop it...
I consider but luckely end up refusing so she gets the handy neighbor guy to do it, he ties a rope about 20ft up and has 3 other neighbors on the end pulling, cuts the face cut so it falls towards the street, then the backcut. The guys on the end of the rope can't pull it over so the chainsaw equipped neighbor goes at the back cut somemore and ends up cutting thru part of the hinge, tree sets back on the backcut and then proceeds to drop exactly 90 degrees from where it was supposed to go, narrowly missing the front of the house :dizzy:

I still got the wood :)

It still was a good lesson because I was close to dropping that tree myself.

Last edited:
Take my 2 trees down for me!

"I wasnt sure where to post this...but is anyone willing to take down these two trees? I think they are diseased or dying, they are river birch, and they are known for having a short life span...the wood is still nice and hard. You can have the wood in exchange for the job. They are by the street and easy to access. Insured only please! See pics of the job...they arent too big...

UPDATE****** PS one responder said no one would take them as wood if they are diseased..I dont know that for sure, they might just be ugly, I have no proof they are diseased. I am not looking to supply lumber for anyone, just thought a man with a chainsaw and the knowhow, (who is unsured) would like to have some nice wood for this winter...and rid me of these two ugly trees that appear to be from the haunted forest."

I won't even consider the free firewood ads unless there are some pics of the "wood".

If it is an ad that seems to be decent and does not have any pics posted with it, I will email and ask for them. If they do not want to take the time to supply them, then they don't want my time to come remove them.

anyone dropping a tree near a house, car, fence, etc should have insurance.

i refuse those jobs.

How often would one get asked to drop a tree that has no chance of hitting a house, car, fence, or anything else?

'jobs'? Jobs are things I get paid for. Doing a $700 job for $200 worth of wood isn't a job, that's being taken advantage of.

I recently checked out a "free black walnut trees" add on craigslist.
Two medium sized black walnuts, first one would be a straigtforward drop but into a residential street. The second "larger" one was with in 20 feet of the house and leaned towards and had branches over the house. I turned down the job because of this but told the owner I would clean up and remove the wood if she could get someone else to drop them. She agreed so I thought I had a good deal... a few days later I get a call to come and drop the smaller one that had no chance of hitting anything so I did and it went well. The larger one would be dropped by a "pro". Get another call and now the story is the larger one will be "topped" by the "pro" and then I can easily drop the remaining trunk. So I get to the site and there is plenty of the tree standing
including the branches over the house and she is expecting me to drop it...
I consider but luckely end up refusing so she gets the handy neighbor guy to do it, he ties a rope about 20ft up and has 3 other neighbors on the end pulling, cuts the face cut so it falls towards the street, then the backcut. The guys on the end of the rope can't pull it over so the chainsaw equipped neighbor goes at the back cut somemore and ends up cutting thru part of the hinge, tree sets back on the backcut and then proceeds to drop exactly 90 degrees from where it was supposed to go, narrowly missing the front of the house :dizzy:

I still got the wood :)

It still was a good lesson because I was close to dropping that tree myself.

alls well that ends well.

if the tree has any "situation" to it that i'm not comfortable with, i always tell them to hire an arborist. i tell them that if they hire a guy to just drop the limbs that cause concern, it would save them money.

i don't risk anything just for a tree.

Well, I'm back with the first load of wood off of this site, and it was a doozy.
It ended up being a white oak, a little bigger than a "medium sized".
After looking at it, it was apparent that the thing could get dropped without hitting the house,IF it went where I WANT it to go.
Basically I told the guy he had two choices. Call a pro and have them drop the tree, I would clean up after the tree is down, or pay me to climb it, cut the top off, and break it down from there, but he had to sign a waiver releasing me of any liability.He was hesitant at first, and i dont blame him, but he decided to let me do it anyway. The only thing he asked is before I dropped the main stem he reserved the right to call off the job if he thought I didnt know what i was doing.Agreed.
Climbed the tree and took off all the weight on the house side and took the top off, he looked pleased.
Long story short, the tree is on the ground. While I was limbing he helped himself to my little Echo sitting in the back of the truck and did the limbing and the dogwoods he had in the back. I had figured to say NOT NO, BUT HECK NO, if he asked to use my saw, but since it never came up I didnt even mention it. Needless to say, he tore up the chain when it got loose and jumped the bar and tore out 6 drive teeth.
After a thorough butt chewing that even got the attention of his wife in the house, we came to an agreement. he would pay me for the chain and I would beat him senseless if I caught his hands on anything that belonged to me

Well, I'm back with the first load of wood off of this site, and it was a doozy.
It ended up being a white oak, a little bigger than a "medium sized".
After looking at it, it was apparent that the thing could get dropped without hitting the house,IF it went where I WANT it to go.
Basically I told the guy he had two choices. Call a pro and have them drop the tree, I would clean up after the tree is down, or pay me to climb it, cut the top off, and break it down from there, but he had to sign a waiver releasing me of any liability.He was hesitant at first, and i dont blame him, but he decided to let me do it anyway. The only thing he asked is before I dropped the main stem he reserved the right to call off the job if he thought I didnt know what i was doing.Agreed.
Climbed the tree and took off all the weight on the house side and took the top off, he looked pleased.
Long story short, the tree is on the ground. While I was limbing he helped himself to my little Echo sitting in the back of the truck and did the limbing and the dogwoods he had in the back. I had figured to say NOT NO, BUT HECK NO, if he asked to use my saw, but since it never came up I didnt even mention it. Needless to say, he tore up the chain when it got loose and jumped the bar and tore out 6 drive teeth.
After a thorough butt chewing that even got the attention of his wife in the house, we came to an agreement. he would pay me for the chain and I would beat him senseless if I caught his hands on anything that belonged to me

:censored: ....... it's that kind of thing that really burns me up. A fella works hard to get himself equipment and someone just comes along and starts messing with it.

You are a better man that I when it comes to keeping your cool. I would have gotten myself thrown off the property in short order. :hmm3grin2orange:

While I was limbing he helped himself to my little Echo sitting in the back of the truck and did the limbing and the dogwoods he had in the back. I had figured to say NOT NO, BUT HECK NO, if he asked to use my saw, but since it never came up I didnt even mention it. Needless to say, he tore up the chain when it got loose and jumped the bar and tore out 6 drive teeth.

Nice job on that tree:clap: :clap: :clap: ! That guy sounds dangerous left to his own devises:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

The way he explained it, he said he had mentioned in his email that he wanted to use one of my saws, and since I didnt bother replying to the email (I really didnt know how to respond to all that nonsense in the email) he thought I was alright with it. As I explained it to him, my saws are very personal to me, they are more than just a tool. I spend time cleaning them, keeping them in tip top shape, and over the years they have become just like friends to me. I know what each one will do, and what they wont. Taking my saw without permission is worse than hopping in my truck and driving off.
As far as keep my cool, I didnt do a very good job,even when I saw him back up with a very white face. Spent a great deal of time in the Navy, and have a wonderful vocab to prove it, most of which gets dragged out and used when I am ticked.
He did apologize, and later offered me tickets to the local IceBears hockey team of which he is a member of the board of directors as a peace offering.
I dont think it will be an issue with him anymore.

I can't believe you went after the email he sent you. I really can't believe he grabbed one of your saws without asking. WOW.. I guess some people just don't understand but it's still a matter of respect.

Good Job..

Let us not forget just how valuable wood is, though. Some of these offers seem perfectly reasonable - 2 cords of wood for a new roof, for example. Hey, this guy thinks so, anyway:

Pricey_Birch_Logs.jpg

I see them all the time. It usually goes something like this:

FREE FIREWOOD

We have two large dead rotting pine trees leaning over our house and if you take them down and clean up the branches you can have the wood.

I'd love to go over to one of those places, drop both trees on their house and leave.

FREE FIREWOOD

We have two large dead rotting pine trees leaning over our house and if you take them down and clean up the branches you can have the wood.

I'd love to go over to one of those places, drop both trees on their house and leave.

Angel you're a bad boy:cheers: !

FREE FIREWOOD

That's just , WRONG ! On so many levels.

Borrow a car or leave someones card that you don't like.

Back