Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This guy has been trying to sell this pile for months. Originally it was something like $10 per log. You just have to wonder what he thinks cedar is made of?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/854731135.html

That's got to be the winner! An armload of wood for $200? I could gather that much wood on a walk around my neighborhood after a good rain. Apparently, he believes that cedar logs have a higher BTU output than diesel soaked coal in a nuclear reactor.

Probably thought it is worth that much because of the use of cedar for closets and chests.

:confused:

Maybe I'm missing it. That doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.
He has already gotten all of the wood together.
If it's seasoned and ready to go, I think I would at least take a look.

I look at it like this. I spent my money to buy a splitter. I don't think it is fair to ask someone to use their time and equipment to preform a service and not pay for it. The offer of some wood is not enough for my time.

I have spent many days working for a tree service and getting paid to take trees down and haul away wood. Not in this ad but some want you to clean up a mess for free but you can keep the junk wood.

Last edited:
Finally, a jewel amongst turds.This looks to be good stuff, all cut and ready to load.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/zip/855282950.html

Yeah, that looks like a good find. I would be all over that one. Looks like maybe a tree service crew dumped a tree cause they didnt want to pay the disposal fee.
have you got in contact with the poster yet?
:clap: :clap:

Wanting something for nothing

I have a terrible neighbor, a Chinese woman who's always pestering arborists for low-ball estimates, trade labor for wood. etc. One guy gave her a quote of $1100 to drop an enormous 80 foot oak only 6 feet from her house. Her reply "Oh, no, too much money, I very good cook, will cook you Chinese dumplings for one year for free, you cut down tree." His reply: "Lady, I dont' even LIKE dumplings."

This guy has been trying to sell this pile for months. Originally it was something like $10 per log. You just have to wonder what he thinks cedar is made of?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/854731135.html

Woah watta deel!!! Hmmmmmmmmm, a night worth of bonfire wood or a cord of fir, hmmmmmmm :monkey:

It must have been, like, a shuper speshel magical tree!
ROFLOL!!

GAH!! I just turned down one of these fantastic deals the other day, 10 large-ish alders all at 45degrees over a swamp (read time consuming bloody dangerous), for the wood. I told the HO I'm alergic to alders, kinda looked at me funny. Said I'd get them on the ground and limbed @ 45$hr (probably 3hrs bs slaving) and he (thankfully) balked, I left never to return. Some folks just do not 'get it'.
I love the listing for the yard full of crap too :confused: wtf are they thinking?

Anyhow, I find threads like this a source of morning mirth, go well with coffee. :D

There is no doubt, I am going to be certifiable soon..

This topic has made me almost sick, and to boot I am so mad I would pummel anyone that came in the door right now and gave me a hard time.
As I mentioned in my previous posts on this topic, i took a second craigs list tree. Here is my first email from the guy before I came over there.

"yes, that's fine. while you're here, if u wouldn't mind cutting down some dogwoods & some off my magnolia & mulberry trees in the back that u can easily reach from the ground, i'd like u to do that, too. u can have any & all of the wood that u cut from those, too.
i also have some limbs hanging over my house from some kinda tree,i need you to climb up there and trim them back.my neighbor wants her litle trees trimmed in her yard next door, i told her that u wood do it for me.or i'll borrow your utility chainsaw & cut it up myself if u can just get it on the ground for me. thanks!
and my freind says that u can grind the stumps down to the ground with your chainsaw,just use a old chain and wash your saw with a garden hose real good to get the dirt out.is that okay?"

This is the message that I posted when i got back

Well, I'm back with the first load of wood off of this site, and it was a doozy.
It ended up being a white oak, a little bigger than a "medium sized".
After looking at it, it was apparent that the thing could get dropped without hitting the house,IF it went where I WANT it to go.
Basically I told the guy he had two choices. Call a pro and have them drop the tree, I would clean up after the tree is down, or pay me to climb it, cut the top off, and break it down from there, but he had to sign a waiver releasing me of any liability.He was hesitant at first, and i dont blame him, but he decided to let me do it anyway. The only thing he asked is before I dropped the main stem he reserved the right to call off the job if he thought I didnt know what i was doing.Agreed.
Climbed the tree and took off all the weight on the house side and took the top off, he looked pleased.
Long story short, the tree is on the ground. While I was limbing he helped himself to my little Echo sitting in the back of the truck and did the limbing and the dogwoods he had in the back. I had figured to say NOT NO, BUT HECK NO, if he asked to use my saw, but since it never came up I didnt even mention it. Needless to say, he tore up the chain when it got loose and jumped the bar and tore out 6 drive teeth.
After a thorough butt chewing that even got the attention of his wife in the house, we came to an agreement. he would pay me for the chain and I would beat him senseless if I caught his hands on anything that belonged to me

Then I got this email from him today after I went over there yesterday to take another load. I banged on his door, but he never came out so i cut a load and left. i was going to give him the bill for the damages that he did to my saw.

ed, i was here working, as i have an office in my home, & meant to get
out to see you, but you were gone before i got out there. sorry, i was
busy on the phone most of the time you were here.

ok, i'll pay you in cash for what i broke. will you cut up the mulberry
for me & haul the brush from it & from the pine that is already on the
ground up to the road for me when you come next week, & then come back &
finish cutting off the pine sometime soon when you can bring a spotter? i know you said that it is not a good idea to use spikes to climb a tree that is not going to be cut down, but maybe you can just jump from the roof on to the tree?
i'm concerned that those limbs will fall & mess up my fence even more.
what day will you be here next week?
by the way, it sure is nice having a yard boy around here, the neighbors want you to work at their place for free to
thanks, mark

Please, someone remind me of this the next time I mention taking a craigslist tree again.

.... will you cut up the mulberry
for me & haul the brush from it & from the pine that is already on the
ground up to the road for me when you come next week, & then come back &
finish cutting off the pine sometime soon when you can bring a spotter? i know you said that it is not a good idea to use spikes to climb a tree that is not going to be cut down, but maybe you can just jump from the roof on to the tree?
i'm concerned that those limbs will fall & mess up my fence even more.
what day will you be here next week?
by the way, it sure is nice having a yard boy around here, the neighbors want you to work at their place for free to
thanks, mark[/COLOR]

Please, someone remind me of this the next time I mention taking a craigslist tree again.

I could never go back there if that was me. Too much stress in dealing with that situation so I'd ..... well, I could never go back there if that was me.

:ices_rofl: HAHAHAAAAAA! If I had been drinking anything I'd have sprayed everything withing a 10 yd radius of where I'm sitting. That is the funniest thing I've read on AS yet. HE CALLED YOU A YARD BOY!?!?!! While I'm sure you're fit to be tied, and I empathize with you (I really do), that is some hillarious :censored: !

If it helps any; just think about all of the volunteer work you have gained due to positive word of mouth. I'm sure you've cornered the market on doing charity tree service for miles around.

If you don't look like this :monkey: why does he suppose that you would be inclined to jump from his roof into a g:censored: d:censored: ed tree? I apologize for laughing, I know your not in the mood right now, but I think it's so funny because I wouldn't be able to draft a better prank email if I tried. That, my friend is a classic for all times and worthy of being tucked away on some corner of AS for posterity's sake.

I've got to rep you just for giving me the best laugh I've had in a very long time.

:ices_rofl: HAHAHAAAAAA! If I had been drinking anything I'd have sprayed everything withing a 10 yd radius of where I'm sitting. That is the funniest thing I've read on AS yet. HE CALLED YOU A YARD BOY!?!?!! While I'm sure you're fit to be tied, and I empathize with you (I really do), that is some hillarious :censored: !

If it helps any; just think about all of the volunteer work you have gained due to positive word of mouth. I'm sure you've cornered the market on doing charity tree service for miles around.

If you don't look like this :monkey: why does he suppose that you would be inclined to jump from his roof into a g:censored: d:censored: ed tree? I apologize for laughing, I know your not in the mood right now, but I think it's so funny because I wouldn't be able to draft a better prank email if I tried. That, my friend is a classic for all times and worthy of being tucked away on some corner of AS for posterity's sake.

I've got to rep you just for giving me the best laugh I've had in a very long time.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Back