Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Free Wood?

How about when you go to the house, saw you'll be there on Saturday, get there and here is some other guy with the job half done. It was a crappy job with the "neighbor" wanting his brushed hauled to a certain place.

I don't think I would have ever gone in the first place after reading the initial email correspondence... :dizzy:

I'd go back and do what I said I'd do, but no more than that.

Show up, put your plugs in your ears, then put your ear muffs on, then get busy.

When he shows up with his new list of chores, tell him that you didn't sign on as a groundskeeper, but that you will finish what you said you'd finish.

What he said. Except I'd tell him that I didn't sign on as yard boy.:buttkick:
The bad part is, he's probably still going to ask you to perform all of the stupid pet tricks he included in his email and you will have to say no w/out squeezing his neck until his head pops off. If you don't think you can do that, I'd say try to time your return trip for when he won't be there.

Your word means a lot to you.

Show up, go to the door and get your money. If they put you off tell them breaking your saw was not part of this deal. If they still baulk at paying you cut your losses, load your ropes and go. You did your part and want no part of working with him in an unsafe manner after he tried to use a power tool he was unqualified to operate.

If they pay up nicely, and give you no more grief, load your wood and figure on pulling the brush as agreed.

Sounds like you have been more than patient with the guy, but do not give him a chance to get under your skin. It isn't worth the aggrivation. The first oppurtunity to pull out off the job, you take it. If he wants to know what you are doing tell him it was a favor to start with. Your boss pays you well to put up with him, you aren't getting paid and have no intention of putting up with him any longer.

You will find the right words to get it across to him. Regard this as a learning experience. We should never get so old that we stop learning.

here is another good one pay someone to cut there tree down.

858837625.html

that guy seems reasonable: give him a bid to do the work and he keeps tree, or give him a bid to buy the tree. either way is fair. He is trolling to see what is reasonable, and honest.

it's the ones who want money to allow free work to be done that still amaze me.

The barter system is alive and well...

This guy is pretty flexible. your choice of a an '86 rusty Camaro or pool table in exchange for cord wood, pressure treated wood, a 4 x 8 utility trailer, woodstove vent pipe or the stove itself. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I have been wasting my time selling wood by the stack. Wood by the piece?
I cant imagine what it ends up costing for that evening fire after freight and all.
Crazy, just Crazy.

i will say going to someones house and cutting up a fallen tree or taking down a tree in a field someone wants gone and getting the wood for free sure as hell beats paying the $250 a cord to get wood dropped off. i dont know about you guys but free wood is free wood, i dont care if i have to split it, as long as i dont have to pay for it.

When I read that it has to be climbed, it's not worth doing. I am betting that it is in a residential area with numerous targets.

Well, I am back from my final trip to the house from HE11, and I am never going back. I drove up to his house, fired up the saw, and went to work. After two tankfuls and nobody appeared, i went to the house and knocked.
I told him that I had this final load to haul off, and afer the trailer is full I will drop the trailer on the street and pull the brush out to the road with the truck. As i mentioned before, all the piles had been piled on top of pieces of rope, all I had to do was attach each lasso to the hitch and pull them to the road.
then I said I need the money for the repairs to my saw. He mentioned the tree needed limbing and all the brush in the backyard. I told him nope, not going to do it. I am not going to gaff a living tree that is going to stay, I am not jumping from your roof to the tree, and I am not going to rope climb the tree either. I am also not going to clean up the mess that you made while tearing up my saw.
Then he said, "Well, if you want your money, you are going to do exactly what I say. I wont pay until you do."
Well, to say the least, I told him to take the 40 bucks, hire him a REAL YARDBOY, and have a nice day. Got in my truck and left with my last load.
Man, has he got a ton of brush to pull. Hope he has fun.
I did everything that I could to keep my word and my end of the bargain, but I know my conscience will not be bothering me tonight.

Good for you, I don't think there's anymore you could do with that bad situation.

If you had the "Yard Boy" tee-shirt that I had suggested you have made up, you could have given him one as a farewell gift for him to wear while he was dragging all that brush and cleaning up the mess... :D

Good for you, I don't think there's anymore you could do with that bad situation.

If you had the "Yard Boy" tee-shirt that I had suggested you have made up, you could have given him one as a farewell gift for him to wear while he was dragging all that brush and cleaning up the mess... :D

You know, I would wait a long time in the weeds with a camera to get a picture of that happening. I would print it out and attach it to my monitor. A good warning any time my browser started wandering off to craigslist.:clap:

Avalancher,

That is one for the books. That guy has some serious nerve. I'd be inclined to sabotage one of his trees and let the next stiff breeze blow it into his attic. Either that or set fire to the brush pile in his yard late one night. I wouldn't do it but I'd want to real bad.

Latest posts

Back