crane and i doing our thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. you sound really bummed. hope its nothing too serious man!

Seriously, good luck! you a funny bastard, hope all works out for ya.. :cheers:

Thank you , its tough to be a dad sometimes .... My daughter has a friend who has parents who could give a :censored: about her and shes a good kid but recently I have noticed a change in my daughter for the worse , I don't want alienate this kid cause shes always here but I have to think of mine first, right..

Nice pics OD.

There is no better way to learn log weights than to see what the scales say after every pick. Day in and day out of that and you'll have it ingrained in your head.

Nice pics OD.

There is no better way to learn log weights than to see what the scales say after every pick. Day in and day out of that and you'll have it ingrained in your head.

excellent point and one most of will only have the occasional chance to learn

beyond that on a more primitive level.....the more craners you do, the more pieces of different trees you have the chance to see what they do to the crane. not gonna see many climbers pull a green log chart out of their pockets up there.:)

you are right about knowing the weights after picks. luckily for me in this past year i've been mic'd up with the operator so i ask after most cuts for the weight or usually he just says it out loud post cut. sometimes we bet lunch on who's closer to the actual weight on certain cuts....make a game of it. when i first started with this dude he have me tell him the number i thought it was and then have me cut.....wow was i off on a few occasions. i did ok on the wood picks but for some reason i wasn't the best at tops or long leaders. i'd guess my number and i'd hear a snicker that sounded more insulting that anything else really and be told to make the cut. pincharoo for sure.

i'm almost right on now but on the odd occasion a piece of wood can surprise you and that sucks because i want to be right every damn time i call out a number. bushy pine tops will make you think twice....

little secret i've learned about them pine is if the thick bark goes all the way to the top she gonna be heeeaaavvyyy. you know what i'm talking about...some pine up in the top got that nice thin bark and the wood is light and the branches snappy. its the thick bark you gotta look for up there and i'd say feel free to add like 30% to your weight guess when you find it.

also the most important lesson to have learned is sling location. look the #### out if you just slung that sonofabyitch too low, boys. that roller coaster isn't always the most fun ride in the park. lol. cranes fine right cause you were in the chart but everything else is chaotic is not the way to be doing things. sling em to keep them "butt" heavy or balanced on 99% of the cuts you make (maybe the 1% is when you know you need to flip it or some ****, whatever.)

hey tv how you like silver maple for the crane takedowns. nice huh? grab them long ass leaders and take em whole right to the chipper. rarely run into an over 3k leader on the bigger ones just because of the way they grow. red maple is light and surprisingly enough locust isn't all that heavy or at least as heavy as i thought it was. red oak obviously is some heavy stuff, all the oaks really. bushy pine heavy the trunk wood not so much. hemlock and the likes you going big for sure.

lol. i live crane work.

You ever get to do a climb and rig out of reach for a change of pace oldirty?

don't think i am understanding of what you speak, tv. ummm obviously not ever job is a TD party. so on the times that we got a pruner on the slip i get hung over the top and then i get to do my thing. and get a free ride to the next part of the tree if need be. or i just get set in the top and then prune it on up from the top down while the crane breaks down. i love that soooo much more now. i try to make the tree look beautiful out of respect and to kinda give thanks that this one got to live even though i touched it. i won't lie to you treevet. some times i don't feel all that great about myself when we leave a job. what was once a yard filled with multiple old growth healthy beautiful tree is now an open field..... i mean to each their own and it is their land but it just sucks to see them go sometimes.

never mind the beautiful lumber or the perfect firewood gone to chip.

oh well. i can take solace in the fact that, even though my role in life is that of the grim reaper in the arbor world, i give it my best effort every day and thats gotta mean something.

other than that side job i did the other sunday ago i dont spend too much time in the tree crane free.

don't think i am understanding of what you speak, tv. ummm obviously not ever job is a TD party. so on the times that we got a pruner on the slip i get hung over the top and then i get to do my thing. and get a free ride to the next part of the tree if need be. or i just get set in the top and then prune it on up from the top down while the crane breaks down. i love that soooo much more now. i try to make the tree look beautiful out of respect and to kinda give thanks that this one got to live even though i touched it. i won't lie to you treevet. some times i don't feel all that great about myself when we leave a job. what was once a yard filled with multiple old growth healthy beautiful tree is now an open field..... i mean to each their own and it is their land but it just sucks to see them go sometimes.

never mind the beautiful lumber or the perfect firewood gone to chip.

oh well. i can take solace in the fact that, even though my role in life is that of the grim reaper in the arbor world, i give it my best effort every day and thats gotta mean something.

other than that side job i did the other sunday ago i dont spend too much time in the tree crane free.

You been there though its all good:cheers:

i guarantee you could do it too.

I could learn to ride for sure friend, not that it is all fun and games there is no easy in tree work imo but crane is a little less fatigue. However it is my bet that keeping the production in the numbers still requires much dedication and effort.

expectations are high on the A crew, we share some laughs for sure but it is all about the banging out work. if you don't like OT there are a couple other crews you can kick it with. they work the gentleman's hours.

expectations are high on the A crew, we share some laughs for sure but it is all about the banging out work. if you don't like OT there are a couple other crews you can kick it with. they work the gentleman's hours.

Lol I would only be interested in A team but you knew that lol. I will prolly never happen but heck it would be a blast I really wish I had these connections earlier in my career. Knowing it would be there is comfort for an old dawg though.

if i knew what he meant i'd answer the question, man!

He was asking if all your removals are crane assisted. I wondered about that too. Now and then you must have bad access and have to climb and rig the old fashioned way?
I have only read about crane removals do you ever do any pruning. Could you get to the top of a tree without spikes or a crane?. I don't do crane work so I might have a different attitude but it seems like doing removals everyday would get old.

Last edited:
Not trying to speak for OD but it is obvious some have not worked for the larger services with the questions being asked.

I have worked for two services doing crane removals. One was rolling two cranes, a bucket crew and two climbing crews. The owner rolled with the biggest crane and a crew, another crew rolled with the smaller crane. Usually the crane crew does what they are equipped to do; large removals with the crane. That is what you will be doing day in and day out. Pruning will be handled by the bucket crew or one of the other climbing crews. The climbing crews will handle the technical removals where there is no access for the cranes as well.

That's how we rolled when I worked for a large outfit.

I also worked for a smaller outfit where we did everything we could reach with the crane but also did removals that we couldn't reach the old fashioned way. As well as spikeless prunes. Most of the time we were doing large crane removals but you never knew what the day would bring. We did it all which added some variety to the job.

Anything done repetitively gets old after awhile. For me the selling is what gets old. It seems that I have to say the same things over and over again everyday and makes me feel like I am reading from a script sometimes. Sometimes I wish i could have someone else do the selling and me just do the work.

If I am not mistaken, OD's last job was mostly technical pruning which got old to him. I believe that's why he moved on to doing large crane removals. Anyway you slice it he is doing himself a favor by learning the ins and outs of all facets of tree work. It will make him someone to be reckoned with when he finally decides to step out on his own.

Last edited:
He was asking if all your removals are crane assisted. I wondered about that too. Now and then you must have bad access and have to climb and rig the old fashioned way?
I have only read about crane removals do you ever do any pruning. Could you get to the top of a tree without spikes or a crane?. I don't do crane work so I might have a different attitude but it seems like doing removals everyday would get old.

nasty takedown guy with fair to pretty good pruning skill. i can climb rope or wear spikes, it don't matter to me bro. i do the odd out of reach tree for my company but nothing where the crane is going to sit for any period of time. it doesn't make any sense for our crew to do a manual. i climb my side work obviously.

still having fun.

Latest posts

Back