crane and i doing our thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nasty takedown guy with fair to pretty good pruning skill. i can climb rope or wear spikes, it don't matter to me bro. i do the odd out of reach tree for my company but nothing where the crane is going to sit for any period of time. it doesn't make any sense for our crew to do a manual. i climb my side work obviously.

still having fun.

I was just asking because I have met some really good removal guys that flailed without spikes. I get that you cant have the equipment sitting while a guy pieces out a tree. It's just hard to believe you guys do that many crane removals on a day to day basis. Seattle is the same size as Boston and I rarely, if ever come across a crane removal. Even the biggest company's piece out massive trees. Crane removals are usually limited to steep hills or insane drags.
Hopefully my questions don't come across like trash talk, im just looking to get some insight. Thanks for the info-Drew

Last edited:
That's how we rolled when I worked for a large outfit.

Anything done repetitively gets old

Like Justin said....just the shear feeling of killing trees in masses like the videos they have recently made would bother me if done daily all year long. Also there is very little if any climbing necessary in those types of removals on the vids.

Rappel from the hook to the cut.....can't call that climbing by any stretch.

And I don't picture his company as a very large company. I thought I saw the whole works on the golf course....but I could be wrong. Nice equipment but not a massive amount of it or employees?

That is why I asked to see some more technical videos that I would enjoy more than the easy ones pictured with the time lapse. They got the camera and a cameraman.....something most companies cannot afford.

Surprised they have not ventured into some other videos of jobs and just wondered if Justin does any of them being a climber.

I agree with Holden....this is a decent size city I live in and it would be unlikely any company runs (rolls as md puts it) a crane crew out 5 or 6 days a week all year.

the camera man is a tripod!

i just punched out of work about 15 mins ago. (i live 7 mins from the shop) that puts me at 45hrs this week with tomorrow and saturday left for a bueno paycheck. we are indeed putting wood down at a furious pace. the A crew goes out first and comes in last. i kinda wonder how the boys feel when they are pulling into the shop and one of our chips trucks just dumped and is heading back out. lol. been that way since the day i signed on to this company.

as you are fully aware my friend there is a reason you havent seen the nasties getting done, tv. you know why you won't see it either. but that is neither here nor there.

large company? 3 fulltime crews with a 4th tossed in on the odd occasion 2 stumpgrinders and 1 fulltime log trucker. 2 75ft buckets 1 55ft and 1 65ft forestry package bucket truck. 2 grapple chippers and 3 regular chippers all 18inch minimum capacity. 5 chip tucks. and we have 2 120 yrd chip haulers come in everyday and they can't keep up with the chips.

everyday these trucks go out. the competition hates us and the owner. HATES us. but you know what, #### em. they can't hang with us and thats why they don't like us. hacks and pussies all of them. if they could produce the quantity and most importantly the quality of work then they wouldn't have to sit around their own shops drinking beer and talking #### about us.

i guess if i wanted i could ask to be demoted to one of the other crews to do their work load and get more of the other stuff in but then the crane crew will not produce at its normal clip. and we can't have that. i do my job tv, nothing more nothing less. do i want to "climb" some more? sure but why when i am eating hours doing it the way we do it. it's sure is easy on me and i can work 60+hrs and still have enough gas left in the tank to golf a few times a week and play 36 on sundays.

you tell me?

if anything i am even better climbwise than i ever was before. what you see is only part of the game. thats why its time lapse man!

i don't know....i still climb my side work, you want me to film that too? lol

i just punched out of work about 15 mins ago. (i live 7 mins from the shop) that puts me at 45hrs this week with tomorrow and saturday left for a bueno paycheck. we are indeed putting wood down at a furious pace. the A crew goes out first and comes in last. i kinda wonder how the boys feel when they are pulling into the shop and one of our chips trucks just dumped and is heading back out. lol. been that way since the day i signed on to this company.

as you are fully aware my friend there is a reason you havent seen the nasties getting done, tv. you know why you won't see it either. but that is neither here nor there.

large company? 3 fulltime crews with a 4th tossed in on the odd occasion 2 stumpgrinders and 1 fulltime log trucker. 2 75ft buckets 1 55ft and 1 65ft forestry package bucket truck. 2 grapple chippers and 3 regular chippers all 18inch minimum capacity. 5 chip tucks. and we have 2 120 yrd chip haulers come in everyday and they can't keep up with the chips.

everyday these trucks go out. the competition hates us and the owner. HATES us. but you know what, #### em. they can't hang with us and thats why they don't like us. hacks and pussies all of them. if they could produce the quantity and most importantly the quality of work then they wouldn't have to sit around their own shops drinking beer and talking #### about us.

i guess if i wanted i could ask to be demoted to one of the other crews to do their work load and get more of the other stuff in but then the crane crew will not produce at its normal clip. and we can't have that. i do my job tv, nothing more nothing less. do i want to "climb" some more? sure but why when i am eating hours doing it the way we do it. it's sure is easy on me and i can work 60+hrs and still have enough gas left in the tank to golf a few times a week and play 36 on sundays.

you tell me?

if anything i am even better climbwise than i ever was before. what you see is only part of the game. thats why its time lapse man!

good stuff od

ps ....yeah film the sidies too :cheers:

you tell me?

Well now, OD, sounds like alot of lessons can be learned from you and if I was your boss, (owner), I would put you on the B crew and become a valuable learning tool.
Jeff, CTSP :)

i think this thread is tired and getting goofy and based on pm's i am not the only one.

See ya ....Don't let the door hit in the arse , we all owe this to oldirty to keep this alive til his next thrilling video , of which may or may not actually be him , maybe in his next video he can give me a shout out ......

at least mckee has the balls to tell me this thread sucks.

and whats this with the pm's you say? any of you queers feel like talking #### at least say it and be out front with it.

c'mon man i welcome any one of you mofo's to tell me how you really feel. i don't give a ####.

say it to me, its not hard. hide behind pm's and be a #####.....whats the matter boys you got sand on your vaginas?

I was just asking because I have met some really good removal guys that flailed without spikes. I get that you cant have the equipment sitting while a guy pieces out a tree. It's just hard to believe you guys do that many crane removals on a day to day basis. Seattle is the same size as Boston and I rarely, if ever come across a crane removal. Even the biggest company's piece out massive trees. Crane removals are usually limited to steep hills or insane drags.
Hopefully my questions don't come across like trash talk, im just looking to get some insight. Thanks for the info-Drew

I'm in a similar situation to oldirty-we go out with the crane more often than we don't. But for us, it's all about production. You are right, many of our jobs could be pieced and roped down the regular way. But that is slow. Yesterday is a perfect example-23 trees, all in the same town so little travel time. It took me twelve hours with the crane to get them all down. Most of them could have been rigged down, but the landing zones were small, then everything would of needed to been cut small enough to man handle through the gates. I figure we could have done five trees in that twelve hours without the crane. With the crane, a few picks over the house and the tree is done. We make money with the crane, that's why it comes with us.

You are right though, I'm not the best trimmer. I've done it, without spikes 12+ years ago for several years, but I hated it with a passion. I haven't done a trim in many years so am out of practice these days. I probably would do some flailing without my spikes right now. But I see no need to be a pro without spikes since removal guys are harder to find around here. And frankly, I love what I do-I'm a tree killer and very good at it.:)

I'm in a similar situation to oldirty-we go out with the crane more often than we don't. But for us, it's all about production. You are right, many of our jobs could be pieced and roped down the regular way. But that is slow. Yesterday is a perfect example-23 trees, all in the same town so little travel time. It took me twelve hours with the crane to get them all down. Most of them could have been rigged down, but the landing zones were small, then everything would of needed to been cut small enough to man handle through the gates. I figure we could have done five trees in that twelve hours without the crane. With the crane, a few picks over the house and the tree is done. We make money with the crane, that's why it comes with us.

You are right though, I'm not the best trimmer. I've done it, without spikes 12+ years ago for several years, but I hated it with a passion. I haven't done a trim in many years so am out of practice these days. I probably would do some flailing without my spikes right now. But I see no need to be a pro without spikes since removal guys are harder to find around here. And frankly, I love what I do-I'm a tree killer and very good at it.:)

Lmfao you tree murderer :cry: twees have feelings to ya know:laugh: I can't get the money trimming is worth here. It's as hard or harder to trim but if you try throwing 5 or 6 hundred dollar prices on trimming don't expect any income:monkey:

Back