Crane removals....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to carefully jump back into this thread because I got somewhat bent out of shape on this very issue of the safest tie in point on the ball and hook, and rather than argue with you guys I went straight to the ansi committee members themselves, going so far as to send each of them the following letter in march of 07.

My fellow tree industry associates,

The ambiguity of the current ANSI Z133 standards for crane use in the tree industry are in my opinion unnecessarily confusing and frustrating to a large degree.

Current OSHA standards for cranes that lift personnel in man baskets located in the rigging section of 5004 clearly state that all crane hooks shall have a positive locking device on the hook gate to prevent accidents.

This is a clearly stated easy to understand Osha regulation that warrants emulation in the ANSI Z133 section for safe crane use in the tree industry.

The current Z standards fuzzy language about tying in above the ball with a shackle for the climbing line and a lanyard in the hook is in effect impractical, frustrating and to some degree hazardous.

Crane hook and block assemblies incorporate a swivel mechanism for a very good reason, to keep their loads from spinning when the twisted wire rope cable comes under any degree of load as they always do. The swivel mechanisn prevents this spinning action from transferring to the hook and load being lifted to a large degree.

If a climber is tied in above the ball and snugs up the rigging he sets on the pick, the ball and cable will spin, this results in his climbing line tangling at that point, he loses time and experiences frustration untangling his primary support line.

By adopting the current OSHA standard for man basket attachment that requires a positive locking hook gate, and applying it to the ANSI Z standard with the simple proviso that a locking shackle or closed solid loop ( both of which are currently available on the market ) be used on the locked hook to separate his primary support line from any possible damage by the rigging hardware on the hook.

Adopting this method and putting it in clear ( shall ) language in the Z standards will enhance safety, facilitate easy understanding and lessen frustration for the professionals in our industry that go out of their way to play by the rules.

It is further my opinion that any crane being used in tree operations, whether hoisting personnel or not shall have a locking hook gate to prevent rigging hardware from inadvertently coming off the hook and injuring personnel below, be it climber or groundmen.

Your thoughts and feedback on adopting these safety measures would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Jomoco
33 year tree industry veteran

[end letter]

In subsequent talks with a few of these ansi folks since that letter from me was entered into the minutes of their last meeting on this subject, they have cautioned me to be patient and understanding that each member is completely petrified from the thought of them changing the standard and a fatal accident occurring, something which to date has not happened.

They have taken my recommendations under consideration and wish to move for improvement in this standard, but only after a firm consensus on the matter can be reached.

So until that time, hundreds of frustrated climbers working to ansi standards can only watch helplessly as the crane spools up to snug the choker on the pick, and the climbers tie in point above the ball spins like a weed whacker tangling his body line, and causing an unnecessary dang nuisance,....not!

jomoco

So until that time, hundreds of frustrated climbers working to ansi standards can only watch helplessly as the crane spools up to snug the choker on the pick, and the climbers tie in point above the ball spins like a weed whacker tangling his body line, and causing an unnecessary dang nuisance,....not!

jomoco

suddenly not in a hurry to put that shackle i have on....

suddenly not in a hurry to put that shackle i have on....

The method that I currently use employs a solid oval 5/8ths steel ring on the hook first, then a large 3/4 steel clevice with my rigging choker on the hook next, then I lock the hook gate with a bolt, wrench tightened.

I point the gateside/rigging/clevis side at the pick, snug up the choker by signaling the CO to spool up, when all is snug and proper I'll burn down to my cutting point, lanyard in, pull my bodyline out of the oval ring on the hook, retag, and make the cut.

jomoco

The last place I used to work used a Ring on the hook so the climber was a little lower than the hook, and very free movement...No sling snagging or anything. It pretty much acted like a FS, just a solid steel oval ring you put in the hook then put the slings in. Personally I liked that setup. Oldirty...Whatever you do with our crane setup...I am prepared to be the guinea pig...

The last place I used to work used a Ring on the hook so the climber was a little lower than the hook, and very free movement...No sling snagging or anything. It pretty much acted like a FS, just a solid steel oval ring you put in the hook then put the slings in. Personally I liked that setup. Oldirty...Whatever you do with our crane setup...I am prepared to be the guinea pig...

Beware of POS cranes, with POS hooks, with flimsy POS hook gates on them.

If you see such POS setups, recommend Crosby Professional Crane Balls & Hooks with heavy duty positive locking hook gates!

It's your life on that dang hook!

jomoco

The method that I currently use employs a solid oval 5/8ths steel ring on the hook first, then a large 3/4 steel clevice with my rigging choker on the hook next, then I lock the hook gate with a bolt, wrench tightened.Can you post an image of a clevis similar to what you use? I think I am on the same page as you but not 100%. And your bodyline goes through the oval, correct?

I point the gateside/rigging/clevis side at the pick, snug up the choker by signaling the CO to spool up, when all is snug and proper I'll burn down to my cutting point, lanyard in, pull my bodyline out of the oval ring on the hook, retag, and make the cut.I assume you point the hook in this fashion to keep your bodyline from getting between the rigging and the pick?

jomoco

I haven't had the crane line foul my climbing line by spinning as load is applied and it (to be honest) never occurred to me.

We do not have a locking gate on our crane but we had all the components to use a shackle above the ball. To me, with a non-locking gate, That method seemed safest to me.

I haven't had the crane line foul my climbing line by spinning as load is applied and it (to be honest) never occurred to me.

We do not have a locking gate on our crane but we had all the components to use a shackle above the ball. To me, with a non-locking gate, That method seemed safest to me.

You are 100 percent correct, and scenarios exactly like yours are exactly why I backed off the pressure on ansi, you see they have to consider that some yokels actually use cranes without locking hook gates on them, and that them even being mentioned by such idiots following their standard on hazardous POS crane balls or hooks, would quickly turn into a liability nightmare.

I hope you wear a good hardhat because it's simply a matter of time before your CO loses all his rigging off his hook punching through a thick canopy right over your friggin head partner, look out below!

jomoco

Last edited:
You are 100 percent correct, and scenarios exactly like yours are exactly why I backed off the pressure on ansi, you see they have to consider that some yokels actually use cranes without locking hook gates on them, and that them even being mentioned by such idiots following their standard on hazardous POS crane balls or hooks, would quickly turn into a liability nightmare.

I hope you wear a good hardhat because it's simply a matter of time before your CO loses all his rigging off his hook punching through a thick canopy right over your friggin head partner, look out below!

jomoco

I RESOUNDING YES!! To head protection. Whether it woud help enough with such an impact, I really don't want to find out and I don't want any of our guys to find out either.

As you might have seen in the pictures, our crane ball is missing the gate completely. I am not proud of it and I thought I had posted pictures that would not promote the use of gateless hooks, but one slipped by me. Safety is a big concern for us and we have made some BIG improvements this year. Sadly the crane ball has not been one of these improvements.

I just did searches for crosby group lifting and I am not sure what I am seeing come up is what you are referring to exactly. If you could post something to clarify what I am looking for, I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope I have not given the impression in this thread that I am an old hand at crane use. I am learning and will continue to learn as long as I stay in this business.

Be safe,

Fred

I RESOUNDING YES!! To head protection. Whether it woud help enough with such an impact, I really don't want to find out and I don't want any of our guys to find out either.

As you might have seen in the pictures, our crane ball is missing the gate completely. I am not proud of it and I thought I had posted pictures that would not promote the use of gateless hooks, but one slipped by me. Safety is a big concern for us and we have made some BIG improvements this year. Sadly the crane ball has not been one of these improvements.

I just did searches for crosby group lifting and I am not sure what I am seeing come up is what you are referring to exactly. If you could post something to clarify what I am looking for, I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope I have not given the impression in this thread that I am an old hand at crane use. I am learning and will continue to learn as long as I stay in this business.

Be safe,

Fred

Either of these Crosby crane overhaul balls with lockable gates should help ensure a long tree/crane career for yu Fred!

http://www.slingchoker.com/sling2/c... TOP SWIVEL OVERHAUL BALLS WITH 320 EYE HOOKS

I like the 150 pound ball myself!

jomoco

Last edited:
Just thought I would post this alternative method of tie in that I will use whenever the situation is appropriate. Having a friction saver on the jib pulley produces a very smooth, safe tie in. Without the ball tugging you back and forth, there is much less effort involved and is more like a normal tie in point feel.

Dave

Either of these Crosby crane overhaul balls with lockable gates should help ensure a long tree/crane career for yu Fred!

http://www.slingchoker.com/sling2/c... TOP SWIVEL OVERHAUL BALLS WITH 320 EYE HOOKS

I like the 150 pound ball myself!

jomoco

The second hook is the type we currently have on the 23 ton crane we lease. We just started working with this crane company this year and its taking some getting use to after years of using the NON-locking spring clip setup. I spent 11 hrs working with the crane yesterday and implemented some techniques suggested here by you with success. Thanks.

Back