Crane removals....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost NO crane manufacturers will even be ok with doing tree work with a crane do to Shock loading....Its a judgement and comfartability call...

Ok then, but who makes the call on tying in above the ball being safer then? ANSI?, OSHA? I hear every safety regulation is designed and or named after (OR BECAUSE OF) some one injured or dead not following OSHA/ANSI reg. So if thats the case show me where the proof is. Not trying to argue just trying to understand how its safer in real life circumstances and not because some ones sister, brothers, cousin, nephew, had an accident while not being tied in above the ball. I consider the manufacturers of these cranes to be more knowledgable on there limitations then a pencil pusher behind a desk reading the internet and making new regulations based on un-circumstantial evidence. But hey Ive been wrong before.

Ok then, but who makes the call on tying in above the ball being safer then? ANSI?, OSHA? I hear every safety regulation is designed and or named after (OR BECAUSE OF) some one injured or dead not following OSHA/ANSI reg. So if thats the case show me where the proof is. Not trying to argue just trying to understand how its safer in real life circumstances and not because some ones sister, brothers, cousin, nephew, had an accident while not being tied in above the ball. I consider the manufacturers of these cranes to be more knowledgable on there limitations then a pencil pusher behind a desk reading the internet and making new regulations based on un-circumstantial evidence. But hey Ive been wrong before.

Are you asking if ANSI or OSHA has a recommendation?

Where have you read a crane manufacturer's recommedation on tying in to the hook?

Are you asking if ANSI or OSHA has a recommendation?

Where have you read a crane manufacturer's recommedation on tying in to the hook?

No, I am not asking what ANSI or OSHA recomends. I know the recomended method is above the ball by regulation. I just want to understand what there basis is on it.

I have not read of a crane manufacturer recomending tying into the hook. But I have read about them NOT recomending tying in above the ball on many occasions. The manufacturers are usually a little vague on these subjects because of the obvious liability issues involved. I am not trying to convince anyone to tie into the hook because I do, quit the opposite actually. Convince me why its better and or safer to tie in above, by example not just because someone decided to put regulations on it.

A couple different variations for my lanyards (2) but nothing on my climbing line just a simple old taught line 90% of the time.

What type do you use on your lanyards?

Do you use a helmet or a hardhat when at height?

What do you use to attach your climbing line to your harness/saddle?

Do you use a split-tail?

I am just trying to make sure the picture you are trying to paint is the one that I am seeing in my mind.

What type do you use on your lanyards?

Do you use a helmet or a hardhat when at height?

What do you use to attach your climbing line to your harness/saddle?

Do you use a split-tail?

I am just trying to make sure the picture you are trying to paint is the one that I am seeing in my mind.

1. I as well as my employees all wear hard hats while on the job at height or not.

2.Clove hitch

3. No

What kind of picture are you painting? Look at some of my threads for pics of my company and some jobs we do that should help your picture painting.

Petzl carabiners on my steel cord lanyard and I forget what kind are on my other non steel corded lanyard its about 6 years old now.

Missed that question.

1. I as well as my employees all wear hard hats while on the job at height or not.

2.Clove hitch

3. No

What kind of picture are you painting? Look at some of my threads for pics of my company and some jobs we do that should help your picture painting.

I assumed that you and your employees wore head protection. I was asking if you use helmets instead of hardhats when you are at height.

Re-read what I said. I am not painting anything. I want to see the big picture of the whole set-up that you are using.

What you are using to tie in to the crane not just where you are tying in.

Petzl carabiners on my steel cord lanyard and I forget what kind are on my other non steel corded lanyard its about 6 years old now.

Missed that question.

Sorry, I meant what type. Not what Mfg.

Auto-locking, screw-lock or non-locking?

I assumed that you and your employees wore head protection. I was asking if you use helmets instead of hardhats when you are at height.

Re-read what I said. I am not painting anything. I want to see the big picture of the whole set-up that you are using.

What you are using to tie in to the crane not just where you are tying in.

No on the helmets, Just hard hats and clip on walkies when working with the crane. I would love to get a few of those peltor helmets with the built in 2 ways but there pricey so I am dragging my feet a bit.

Its late, Maybe I am missing what you are getting at.

Sorry, I meant what type. Not what Mfg.

Auto-locking, screw-lock or non-locking?

Definetly no non-locking beeners for life lines!!

I am using a double auto locking beener on 1 and a single auto lock on the other.

Definetly no non-locking beeners for life lines!!I am using a double auto locking beener on 1 and a single auto lock on the other.

2 of the cranes we lease use the spring loaded while one uses a positive lock. I prefer the spring loaded.

Why do you only use a positve locking caribiner but hook your whole system into a device that doesn't have a positive lock on it?

Last edited:
Why do you only use a positve locking caribiner but hook your whole sytem into a device that doesn't have a positive lock on it?

I figured that was coming. When I climb my eyes are not always on my lanyard caribiners and non locking beeners can obviously work there way open so locking is the only option on that. As far as the crane clip if you read my previous post's I explained in detail how to avoid any potential problems with your climbing line coming out. You are right on what you are implying but for every risk associated with the way I prefer VS what I assume you prefer I can think of an equally dangerous situation that could arrise. Perhaps you could post a pic of your current set up? I am pretty sure I can paint the picture already but non the less lets see it. Have you ever tyed into the hook directly? I would assume if you have been in the bizz for awhile you have, so what convinced you to change your set up?

I figured that was coming. When I climb my eyes are not always on my lanyard caribiners and non locking beeners can obviously work there way open so locking is the only option on that. As far as the crane clip if you read my previous post's I explained in detail how to avoid any potential problems with your climbing line coming out. You are right on what you are implying but for every risk associated with the way I prefer VS what I assume you prefer I can think of an equally dangerous situation that could arrise. Perhaps you could post a pic of your current set up? I am pretty sure I can paint the picture already but non the less lets see it. Have you ever tyed into the hook directly? I would assume if you have been in the bizz for awhile you have, so what convinced you to change your set up?

If you had read my posts, you would have seen this picture.

attachment.php

The only thing I changed was to use steel screw-lock caribiners on both rings of the false crotch with the barrels screwed down in the locked position.

The things that made me uncomfortable and wanting for a better method of tying in was too many times seeing small branches opening the clip on the hook, didn't like my rope/lanyard being trapped by cable chokers and when using nylon straps, I don't like moving rope running across stationary straps.

I cannot think of any bad situation that would end in injury using the shackle/line method and not in the hook tie-in method.

I can see a strap or choker locking your rope on the hook and not allowing you to adjust your position out of harms way.

If you had read my posts, you would have seen this picture.

attachment.php

The only thing I changed was to use steel screw-lock caribiners on both rings of the false crotch with the barrels screwed down in the locked position.

The things that made me uncomfortable and wanting for a better method of tying in was too many times seeing small branches opening the clip on the hook, didn't like my rope/lanyard being trapped by cable chokers and when using nylon straps, I don't like moving rope running across stationary straps.

I cannot think of any bad situation that would end in injury using the shackle/line method and not in the hook tie-in method.

I can see a strap or choker locking your rope on the hook and not allowing you to adjust your position out of harms way.

Does this mean that you then run your climbing line through the biners, and not through the rings?

The CO may loose sight of you at times. . .I was being lowered through the canopy once and landed at the choke point and deflected the ball with my hand as I watched it continue on down past me. When it got between my knee and foot I dove after it, thinking that would be better than getting snatched off by a 300pound ball? Talk about an adrenalin rush. That TIP has got to be bullet proof. I use a twisted clevis and replaced the pin with a grade 8 bolt and a nut with platsic insert. Snugged up with a wrench on the ground, I have no fear. ( I highly recommend wireing the pin if using one to ensure it does not back out.) I've had trouble pulling my friction saver from flat clevis, so got twisted one and LOVE it.

Always learnin though. . .Thanks for all the continued input.

ansi says if thats the safest way to do it. meanind bein tied to the crane. then do so! the ball on my crane says. if ur are lifting and people with the crane you must have a locking clip on the hook

Back