Crane tip-over.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But ..seriously ..hydro is not to be screwed with ..
Saw a post on the wires here ..I hoped to shed some light ..

I know a guy and another he's an op ..and a friend
This guy i know has no ..balls ..yeah ..they got fried ..
the op ..he's screwed for life ..loss of motor function ,head aches ,chronic arthritis
my friend ..lost his dad and his brother ..highway work ..in the dark ..It was very devastating for him

So stay safe ..stay away ..

But ..seriously ..hydro is not to be screwed with ..
Saw a post on the wires here ..I hoped to shed some light ..

I know a guy and another he's an op ..and a friend
This guy i know has no ..balls ..yeah ..they got fried ..
the op ..he's screwed for life ..loss of motor function ,head aches ,chronic arthritis
my friend ..lost his dad and his brother ..highway work ..in the dark ..It was very devastating for him

So stay safe ..stay away ..

I agree if it is not your job stay away if it is learn before you leap .

You would be surprised shock therapy does work friend lol

Worked for me. I was replacing GFCI receptacles at a "Pep Boys" because there are a ton of geniuses out there who think a GFI is water proof, so they pressure washed the walls in the garage area and fried them all. There was one behind a hydraulic press. It's a lot quicker for me to just work stuff live, so unless it's really dangerous, I just work it live. I was installing the new receptacle while leaning through this piece of equipment when I lost my grip on my screwdriver, and then re-gripped it...right on the shaft. My chest was on the metal surface of the equipment, it nailed me through my heart. So, I walked out to the main store so there were people around me. I wanted someone to see if I dropped, but I didn't want to look like a (*meow*) and complain about it. As I was walking around out there, I checked my pulse. Before that I had an arrhythmia, but the shock reset my heart beat to normal.:cheers:

Induced power ..yes i forgot about that ..

For those who.dont know ..
A crane for example ..can essentially become a capacitor when ,,booming ,swinging ..through an electrical field ..
meaning with out proper grounding technique ..its possable to get a shock from a crane ..thats just working in the vacinity of the wire's ..
not just a crane but the best bucket truck can too tom trees

not just a crane but the best bucket truck can too tom trees

Tom mine is rated and was tested to 100kv theoretically I could touch one without shock but I would not try it. However if it gets between phazes or phaze to ground"neutral" it provides no protection. Around power a line clearance pro learns his best pal is a clean dry rated pruner it can save your life in many ways.

Local co was building a college and swung a crane boom into the wires 23kv I think. Engine one pulled up in time to see the guy climb down the ladder. It was a bad scene guy dead and cooking 40 construction workers screaming do something. All you can do is wait on power co.

Ok ..
So now you have an idea of how you may die in an electrical contact situation ..
How do i survive an electrical contact situation ..

#1 ..dont move ..I mean it ..do not remove your feet from where they are ..for all you know your on a series of gradient lines ..If you heard the WAP!..your still alive ....Do Not Leave Your Postion !!!

#2..But I have to go ..everything is on fire ..or theres matertial gonna fall on me ..

Understand this an practice it ..

"shuffle your feet"..you will as slowly as posable ..shuffle your feet ..as not enough to let another foot leave the groung..and as not enough to get one foot completely in front of the other ....
The idea behind this is that your always in contact with the potential as you move you will remain at what ever the potential is beneath you feet ..nothing leaves the ground ..or moves to suddenly into an eare of high to low potential ..or vice versa ..

#3..First rule of rescue..this is the worst..
contact has been made your aware of this ..Your buddy drops ..then another and he's screaming ..
first rule of rescue in a electrical contact situation
Do Not Become A Victim

Your buddy that dropped ..he's dead ..get over it ..
Your buddy thats screaming ..he may live ..
But you wont if you move .. Do not leave your footing ..You can shuffle ..but how are you gonna touch him or aid him ..If the potential is all around ..
Voice your concern ..and tell him to hang on ..Your no good to him dead ..

All Clear !!
How do i know when ..its all clear ..

The noise from the wires stopped ..nope ..

Hydro grids are equipped with a self resetting breaker that will pop and reset at a particular time determined by the utility ..the number of times is also determned by the utility ..
This serves as a means for the grid to blow debris ,,like tree limbs clear ..and protect the sytem ..also it saves on having to send out a crew everytime a tree branch pops the breaker..

So the all clear ..
Only an official from an electrical authority would give the all clear ..or the EMS tech's who have explicit contact with the authority ..can they give the all clear ..
Untill then ..stay where your at .....

Was that clear enough ..?

""

Good points Hoister, don't know how many times I've seen it or heard it at mvc's I've been at with my fire dept, people getting fried like this who have had lines come down over their vehicles thinking the lines were dead when in fact they weren't. Hoister, we were at a tree on wires call last winter, tree still smoking and on fire at the top, hydro guy comes (yeah only 1) in his pick up, takes out the saw and cuts it at the bottom (an old skinny maple) then it dropped off the line, we put out the small fire with just shovelling snow on it. (no sense getting out the hose for that!)

Last edited:
you have renewed my conviction of staying the hell away from power lines.
Those are some vivid and powerful descriptions, they would make a great script for an animated short film. ( pun intended)

I am definitely with you on the dangers and the potentials the inductive currents sound pretty scary.

you have renewed my conviction of staying the hell away from power lines.
Those are some vivid and powerful descriptions, they would make a great script for an animated short film. ( pun intended)

I am definitely with you on the dangers and the potentials the inductive currents sound pretty scary.

the last video on this particular beast was shot by an OSHA official who happened to be around the corner and came upon it ..

Long time employee of 20+ years made contact with the wires on a knuckle boom ..not a remote controlled one..he was onyhe ground running the side lever's ..
The short was not enough to trip the breaker's at the station ..he fell beside the outrigger and cooked for 20+ minutes all time lapse video..All the while the swamp-er is on the deck of the truck ..with people screaming for him to get off .....
Be it shock or education ..he didn't move ..

Once the power was of the FD moved in and put the body out ..
In the report a 160+ lb man was reduced to a little more than 40lbs of burnt charcoal..

When working directly with the utility ..there are lugs bolted to the crane to allow the the attachment of grounds ..with the grounding probe's drove in the ground by linemen ..
This is even before I deploy my outriggers..
according to the utility there have been instances where induced current has killed or severly injured men ..It only takes 1 amp to stop the heart ..

Local co was building a college and swung a crane boom into the wires 23kv I think. Engine one pulled up in time to see the guy climb down the ladder. It was a bad scene guy dead and cooking 40 construction workers screaming do something. All you can do is wait on power co.

Which i think gets back to what i said earlier ..

dont become a victim ...

sad part is ..everyone looks to the Ems to save lives and go in where everyone else is running away ..sometimes ..they just have to stay put ..

Latest posts

Back