cranes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeypuzzle

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The crane service I use has put an end to riding the hook.Period.They have built a basket that will be used,and there minimum went to four hours,.also a new boss.Sure there are other cranes,but I believe in loyalty. The operator and myself have built a trust,we are comfortable working together,which is important,as i am sure you crane users know.Seems to me OSHA is just now cracking heads about this.So in the end I will EAT the cost that it takes for my climbers and myself to learn this new system. New crane owner gets a raise first day on the job.Has anyone else been put in a basket?

Last edited:
Riding the hook has always been illegal, but I have done it anyway. :p This was my 1st ever crane removal 7 years ago. Here in Orlando the most popular crane company for treework just raised their rates last year. went from 3 to 4 hr minimum and from $65 to $70 per hr for the 35 ton. I never rode in a basket, just a 6000lb rated sling hooked to my belt.

I've never used the basket, still riding the ball. Although my crane guy has been telling me for years that I he won't be able to do that much longer. The rates for a 35 ton are $85/hr with a 3 hour minimum, but that includes travel time which is almost always at least 1 hour. You'll just have to price future crane jobs with the added costs included. I always overprice crane jobs anyway just to cover unexpected events. If someone balks at the price, I just let the job go. I figure for the risk involved, I want to make top dollar.

ANSI Z133.1-1994 section 6.7.4 states "Riding the load line while it is under load is prohibited. However, a qualified tree worker may be hoisted into position utilizing the hook, provided that the worker is tied in with an approved type of climbing line and climbing saddle that is properly secured to the boom or line."

I believe that the new Z133 has changed this slightly but is not finalized.

That 35 ton crane should be able to pick that tree in one piece then you would be standing on the ground making your cut. What is your normal use of the crane for?

Eric, that tree is bigger than you think. The final stump cut was 18' tall and weighed 10,000 lbs. On that particular job I used the crane because of limited roping area (power lines, 6'hedge, etc), limited landing area, and handling the weight. I got $2500 for that tree, did it in a day, plus a few hours cleanup the following day. The crane cost me $400 and I paid the dump truck driver (for the big wood) $150. 3 helpers at $100 per. Other expenses were about $150. I cleared $1500 in a day and a half. THATS why I used the crane.:D Not too bad for working for myself part-time after working my regular job.

Last edited:
100$ per hour here in the south(N. FLA.)the real south stops just this side of Gainsville,hehe,:p : Looks like things get a bit more $$$$$$$$ when you get closer to Capital.Has anyone noticed the member count???:angel: or :angry:

Brian and others,
What I was wondering was what is a typical day doing crane removal?
When I hire a crane I have as many removals as possible for one day. I start with the most dangerous tree first and then go for the rest. Depending on the tree, number of leads, and distance from the crane there may be 4 or 5 picks. Most of the time it is 1 or 2 picks. Best day 12 trees and one day of clean up, one person. Average day 5-6 trees including clean up. $500-$600 average per tree and $750 for the 25 ton crane per day.
Brian, how did you estimate 10,00 pounds?

Eric- I didn't estimate the weight, the crane operator told me. He had a computer scale on the crane, it warns him when he has too much weight too far out. Here is the stump going in the dump truck.

Although I never did do a rental-crane job while in business, I did eye several up and was successful in giving a price so high that they shopped elsewhere. As Treeman14 said, don't buy the job.

Rental rates here for 35 ton cranes are currently $140/hr with a 4 hour minimum - I just did bridge installation this spring and found I couldn't get by with a 35 tonne crane - I had to rent an 80 ton at $340 per hour, 8 hour minimum with an oiler at an additional $53 per hour.

At a 40' radius from the centre pin of the machine, a 35 ton crane is good for about 21-22,000 lb. Our bridge sections were 24,000 lbs and we had to bring in a bigger crane. So, 10,000 lb chunks are very reasonable, given perhaps a longer reach from the pin.

I was wrong on the price above,120$ per hour here,.........yep, those fancy cranes that can give you your weight are cool,guys you have to admit sometimes this JOB is a lot of fun.Do any of you Tree Vets remember when you first saw a crane used for tree removal? ..........and the wire that runs along the boom that is connected to the computer,does that get broken by the limbs with anyone? Reason for asking is high crane costs.I'm sure it's 100$ or more to fix each break.

One of my first crane jobs was back around 1986 when a tornado came through the east side of Tampa. We were called to remove an oak tree that was laying on top of a two-story apartment building. I ordered a 35-ton crane, but since every tree service in town was using cranes that week, they only had a 110-ton available. They gave it to me for the 35-ton rate, which at that time was $55/Hr with a 3 hour minimum. Regular rate was $275/Hr with an 8 hour minimum. We picked it up in one piece ( 8,000 lbs at 125' reach), layed it down right behind the chipper and had everything chipped in about an hour. Hired a loader to pick up the big stuff and went home early with very large profit. It was SWEET!!

ANSI Z133.1-1994 PROPOSED REVISION – JUNE 2000

This draft is open for a 60-day public review beginning June 30, 2000. Should you have comments or wish to have a hard copy of this draft, please contact [email protected] or write to ISA, Attn:
Jim Skiera, P.O. Box 3129, Champaign, IL 61826.

6.7 Log Loaders, Cranes and Related Hoists

6.7.5 Riding the load line of a crane while it is under load tension shall be prohibited., except for
circumstances outlined in 6.7.7.

6.7.6 A qualified arborist may be hoisted into position utilizing the crane, provided that he/she is tied in with an arborist climbing line and arborist saddle meeting the requirements of Section 4.2 of this Standard and secured to a designated anchor point on the boom or line. The following procedures shall be followed when an arborist is to be lifted by a crane:

6.7.6.1 The person specifically responsible for the work shall only authorize the use of a crane when he/she has determined that it is the safest and most practical way to perform the work or gain access to the tree. Such authorization should be made in writing and be retained at the job site.

6.7.6.2 The crane operator shall be familiar with the potential hazards and operational techniques encountered in tree work.

6.7.6.3 The arborist climbing line shall be secured to the crane in such a way that it does not interfere with the function of any damage prevention or warning device on the crane, and so that no part of the crane compromises the climbing line or any other component of the climbing system.

6.7.6.4 The crane operator and the person responsible for the work to be performed shall meet prior to the work to review procedures to be followed. If the work involves a signal person and/or arborist being lifted in addition to the person responsible for the work, they shall participate in the review.

6.7.6.5 Communication between the crane operator and the arborist being lifted shall be maintained either directly or through the appointed signal person.

6.7.6.6 The crane shall be supported on a firm surface and maintained in a level position. The crane operator shall use blocking or other means if necessary so that the support medium does
not exceed its load bearing capabilities. When provided, outriggers shall be extended and properly
set. Lifting of arborists shall not be permitted when the crane is supported solely on its tires.

6.7.6.7 The crane operator shall test the adequacy of footing prior to any lifting. A green log weight chart (in Annex E) should be available to the crew.

6.7.6.8 The lifting and supporting shall be made under controlled conditions and under the directionof the arborist or an appointed signal person.

6.7.6.9 The crane operator shall remain at the controls when the arborist is attached to the crane.

6.7.6.10 The crane boom and load line shall be moved in a slow, controlled, cautious manner with no sudden movements when the arborist is attached. The lifting or lowering speed shall not
exceed 100 ft./min. (0.5 meters/sec.). The crane shall be operated so that lowering is power-controlled.

6.7.6.11 The crane carrier shall not travel at any time while the arborist is attached.

6.7.7 The arborist shall be detached from the crane any time it is under load tension. EXCEPTION:
The person specifically responsible for the work shall only allow the arborist to remain attached to the crane while it is under load when it is determined that all reasonably possible alternative methods are inaccessible and attachment to the subject tree would create a greater safety risk due to its hazardous
condition. Possible alternative methods include, but are not limited to:
1.securing to the tree and detaching from the crane before it comes under load;
2.use of a second crane;
3.use of an aerial lift device;
4.use of an adjacent tree;

I see people without hardhats in that picture!

You're wearing a white one in the tree, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, John.
I don't see anything there I would object to.
Is that supposed to be June 2001, or has this been out for a year now?

Last edited:
I also ride the ball on the crane. I would ride the basket but to obtrusive around limbs most of the time . . . plus I am used to riding the ball. It looks like I am doing it the legal way by those ANSI standards too.

Stay safe!

Steve

P.S. We have started using cranes on many larger jobs and not just on hardwoods but also big pines. Its safer and makes for a shorter day. Of course we've been able to pass the cost right along to customer.

The new standard, ANSI Z133.1-2000 was released in June.

It is slightly different from the proposed revision that John was talking about.

You can pick it up cheap if you order it before July 15.

Everyone who does treework of any kind needs to have a copy of this. "Read it, learn it, live it."

Climb safe and have a safe holiday.

Latest posts

Back