• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Crank bearing fun

Justin Taylor

Justin Taylor

ArboristSite Guru
I bought a ms 291 in pieces and it looks like the crank bearings Went went out but the last guy took off the otter race so I’m now stuck with this I’m guessing the only way I’m getting this off is with a puller but if anyone else has any ideas let me know.

Attachments

Trailsawyer

Trailsawyer

ArboristSite Lurker
You might find a puller that will get a grip on the bearing race...... but I would try heating the old bearing race with a torch. If you stand the crank on end, nut resting on the workbench, and apply heat, the race will probably fall off! You don't want to use enough heat to get the crank hot. If the first attempt doesn't work, let it cool completely, and then....?

cuinrearview

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
The only way to fly... 63662_W3.jpg 20200607_122436.jpg
Slicker than **** even if the bearing is whole.

One time I had a bearing come apart and the outer race stay in the pocket. It was old saw so heat wasn't even moving it. Had to get creative with a puller and some round stock on that one.

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I’ve collected just about every puller known to man, a Hf 12 ton press, a arbor press. When I was working I used their equipment. Now retired I lost that advantage.

Bob Hedgecutter

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
I take my dremel cut off wheel and cut a slot in it. When it has a nice slot, whack it with a cold chisel/BFH and it will break the rest of the way through. You can tap it right off then and clean up the area for the next bearing
If it cannot be fixed with a BFH...... then you have an electrical problem. ;) :laugh:

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
If it cannot be fixed with a BFH...... then you have an electrical problem. ;) :laugh:
Get the 16 lb sledge hammer. Two thousand degrees of liquid torch may work too.? Lol

I had to remove a wheel hub on a gravely tractor and used 2000 degrees of liquid heat. Once off it sizzled in the snow for 30 minutes.