Crank bearing fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Taylor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought a ms 291 in pieces and it looks like the crank bearings Went went out but the last guy took off the otter race so I’m now stuck with this I’m guessing the only way I’m getting this off is with a puller but if anyone else has any ideas let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
You might find a puller that will get a grip on the bearing race...... but I would try heating the old bearing race with a torch. If you stand the crank on end, nut resting on the workbench, and apply heat, the race will probably fall off! You don't want to use enough heat to get the crank hot. If the first attempt doesn't work, let it cool completely, and then....?

The only way to fly...63662_W3.jpg20200607_122436.jpg
Slicker than **** even if the bearing is whole.

One time I had a bearing come apart and the outer race stay in the pocket. It was old saw so heat wasn't even moving it. Had to get creative with a puller and some round stock on that one.

I’ve collected just about every puller known to man, a Hf 12 ton press, a arbor press. When I was working I used their equipment. Now retired I lost that advantage.

I take my dremel cut off wheel and cut a slot in it. When it has a nice slot, whack it with a cold chisel/BFH and it will break the rest of the way through. You can tap it right off then and clean up the area for the next bearing

If it cannot be fixed with a BFH...... then you have an electrical problem. ;) :laugh:

If it cannot be fixed with a BFH...... then you have an electrical problem. ;) :laugh:
Get the 16 lb sledge hammer. Two thousand degrees of liquid torch may work too.? Lol

I had to remove a wheel hub on a gravely tractor and used 2000 degrees of liquid heat. Once off it sizzled in the snow for 30 minutes.

Back