Crank seal puller!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be cheaper to buy the complete set of gaskets for that model. It will include all gaskets and both crank seals.

I had just ordered the kit from northwoods that came with all gaskets, exhaust wrap and seals when you replied to go OEM. I figure the gaskets and wrap will be ok and I can still order new seals from the dealer. One dealer was like half the price of the other on the seals. I'll have to give them the part number so they order it right. I have no faith in them they always screw my stuff up.

Thanks guys that is a lot of good info. I am considering the Stihl puller it looked like butter pulling out that seal in the video:rock:

You'll get the parts faster from Northwood that you will your dealer:clap: The AM seals might be fine in this case. I just prefer OEM when I can.

I'm sure Stihl doesn't make their seals.... Anyone know who does? Find another seal with the same specs. They're double lipped with a girdle spring. Right? I suppose the type/hardness of rubber counts too..

The poor man's seal puller

IMG_5253Custom.jpg

If I remember correctly the clutch side crank seal on my 026 had a little "S" in a box molded on the face of the seal. If you know dimensions of the seals you might check to see if your local Honda motorcycle dealer has an old Quick Reference Guide. It has cross references for metric seals and O-rings to Honda part no.'s. The QRG with this info has a red cover with yellow pages. Came out in the 90's. When I was a parts guy at a Honda shop it was mighty handy.

The Stihl seal puller is about 200 bucks when I bought mine, along with the rest of the fortune I invested in the special tools kit. And I agree that using OEM oil seals is always the way to go. Stihl does vendor some parts, but many they don't. I have been to the Stihl factory in VA and it is amazing the quality control that goes into their stuff, both parts and units.

The poor man's seal puller

IMG_5253Custom.jpg

Doesn't work on the 026 FW side crank seals. the seal is so thin there is no way to drill, screw and pull it... i've tried. The best I have done is to tap one side with a nail punch in order to make the seal go sideways in the hole and then try to pull it with needle nose pilars. I'd rather have a good seal puller to use though...

Did you ever fabricate a seal puller??? I want to make one especially for those tiny fly wheel side seals.
Pete
x2... the 024/026/036 FW side seals are the worst!

Anyone found a seal puller that will fit and work on the small stihl crank seals?

Back