Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a brand new factory saw!

Ooops, I "assumed", and I shouldn't do that.

It's still just one cylinder, but of course it would matter to the guy who bought it.

I wonder how many members are going to tear their saws apart to check cylinders. LOL

The other thing to keep in mind is that if the saw was never taken apart, it might have run for how many years without a problem.

I do still think it's a valid question to ask where Stihl is sourcing these cylinders from.

I just bought a new in box 066 P&C from Super3 this past weekend that is probably 10+ years old, i couldn't believe how nice of a casting it was it looked nothing like what you posted. It does look like china quality work. Thats to bad. The exhaust port on my 7900 looked very high quality also.

I just bought a new in box 066 P&C from Super3 this past weekend that is probably 10+ years old, i couldn't believe how nice of a casting it was it looked nothing like what you posted. It does look like china quality work. Thats to bad. The exhaust port on my 7900 looked very high quality also.

Mahle still does nice work. That's the problem here. Stihl has cheaped out and gone with garbage manufactured in China at their Zama plant evidentally.

FC,

Hold on a moment here. I remember ole Tommie going to bat for a member here that was not his customer and getting a 361 cylinder replaced, even though it was doubtful that the "flaw" would present any performance or reliability issues.

Tommie may wear Stihl underwear, but, he does call 'em as he sees 'em.

Joat

Brad,

I think not. Tommie was accused of blindly accepting/loving all things Stihl when he has repeatedly demonstrated objectivity when it comes to Stihl and quality issues. Now, there are some Stihl cheerleaders here that don't demonstrate that objectivity and they would serve as better examples for Fastcast in his post I referenced.

Joat

Oh, Joat....I know Tommy is a good ole boy who helps out and I like him. :heart: He's just more fun to pick on, them some of dem other Stihlbillies. Mostly cuz he always has those silly come backs and he rarely gives up till ya tire of his shenanigans and try to ignore him. :chatter:

This has me "all shook up", lol. Not really. I'm sure it would run fine, but so do most chicom parts. The quality is not here, plain and simple. Plus I would be surprised if Stihl won't replace it. The question is, will the next one look any better. If I'm lucky, the warehouse will have NOS Mahle kit. If it were my saw and I couldn't get a NOS Mahle kit, I'd be hitting up bcorradi to see if his are Mahle. We'll see what the dealer has to say after work today.

Is Stihl actually making these in their own facility? I'd be surprised if they are. I just don't see this kind of garbage on the rest of their parts.

Thats why I asked you how that saw runs. Does it run any worse than other
260's? I'm very curious because if does you may have a case to a new jug. Also are you going to use that cylinder or pitch it?

Thats why I asked you how that saw runs. Does it run any worse than other
260's? I'm very curious because if does you may have a case to a new jug. Also are you going to use that cylinder or pitch it?

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if it runs properly or not. That's besides the fact and does not justify the lack of quality here. This is not what a customer pays for when he pays $540 for a little 50cc pro Stihl saw. I'm hoping my dealer will replace this cylinder. I know I wouldn't want it on my saw.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if it runs properly or not. That's besides the fact and does not justify the lack of quality here. This is not what a customer pays for when he pays $540 for a little 50cc pro Stihl saw. I'm hoping my dealer will replace this cylinder. I know I wouldn't want it on my saw.

STIHL #1! STIHL #1!​

(Sorry...am I helping at all, here? :) )

Oh, Joat....I know Tommy is a good ole boy who helps out and I like him. :heart: He's just more fun to pick on, them some of dem other Stihlbillies. Mostly cuz he always has those silly come backs and he rarely gives up till ya tire of his shenanigans and try to ignore him. :chatter:

I take offense to that statement. You picking on me is like Buckwheat attempting to pick on George Foreman,LOLOL

Hey Fast look at the bottom of the page. Ever notice when there is a Stihl issue it draws a ton of people. When there's a Dolmar or Husky issue we Stihl guys don't rush in and go ha haaaaaaaaaa. Its really kinda good to see yaw get a bone to chew on now and then,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

No Brad there made in the Zama factory, that STIHL purchased!

And where is the Zama factory? You guessed it, CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!! LINK

This isn't the first this has been seen. Here's where Timberwolf first commented on it. LINK

Can someone else confirm this, not that I doubt you AZLOGGER. I'd just like to nail this down before I start blabbing that Stihl is putting China crap cylinders on their pro saws, including at least the 260, 460, and 660.

I take offense to that statement. You picking on me is like Buckwheat attempting to pick on George Foreman,LOLOL

Hey Fast look at the bottom of the page. Ever notice when there is a Stihl issue it draws a ton of people. When there's a Dolmar or Husky issue we Stihl guys don't rush in and go ha haaaaaaaaaa. Its really kinda good to see yaw get a bone to chew on now and then,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Not! If that cylinder came out of a new 372xp it would shut the site down with stihl lover activity. You guys love to talk about husky like they're cheaply made.

Not! If that cylinder came out of a new 372xp it would shut the site down with stihl lover activity. You guys love to talk about husky like they're cheaply made.

Like I said earlier and most of you guys know, I'm a Stihl head at heart. But you WON'T find an inferior cylinder like this on a 372. Mahle all the way. For that matter, the cylinders I've seen off of 359s look much better than this.

Hey Fast look at the bottom of the page. Ever notice when there is a Stihl issue it draws a ton of people. When there's a Dolmar or Husky issue we Stihl guys don't rush in and go ha haaaaaaaaaa. :

Neither do the Shindaiwa guys.....

You know, once you go RED you.......well you know!

PB, You know which one is the best RED saw!!!
:cheers:

When there's a Dolmar or Husky issue we Stihl guys don't rush in and go ha haaaaaaaaaa.

Yes, you do! Holy God you do!

I guess this whole thing just helps to point out what many of us have been saying all along...stihl quality is kind of overrated.

Their specs are usually mid-pack, but the stihlheads rave-on about 'but stihl quality is far superior!' So it's one of those prove-it kind of things.

Well...here's evidence. Not 'proof,' mind you, because it's a sample size of one. (Although given Timberwolf's earlier thread, I'd say it's pretty good evidence...)

Last edited:
Back