Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes please, let it go, let it go, let it go. Kumbaya, my friend.

So you wanna do this thread like safe sex and pull out, ok, lets have a roll call, who wants to let it go and if so once you go you stay gone. That means those who stay don't talk behind the backs of those who choose to go, DEAL? Those that stay and do talk about the ones gone give up all respect on this site and are considered slimy whores, Deal?

You in Parris? Space? 2k? Woodie? Fast? Booker? Brad? Indian?, who else?

I'm outta here.

Hey, now we are talkin'.:clap: A tour of the VA beach plant wood be kool! Leave woodie at home with booker and parris, no need to break their date up. Stihl would need help from NASA to get their IQ levels past 1 digit.

Thats for another thread, I just opened the gate on this one if all is willing,:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

So you wanna do this thread like safe sex and pull out, ok, lets have a roll call, who wants to let it go and if so once you go you stay gone. That means those who stay don't talk behind the backs of those who choose to go, DEAL? Those that stay and do talk about the ones gone give up all respect on this site and are considered slimy whores, Deal?

I'm outta here.

Lead the way oh king. I'm right behind ya. It's been fun:popcorn:

I'm outta here.

Hell NO....I was just gettin warmed up Champ....Now where ya think ur gonna be going? :laugh:

I've gotsa some more torment for ya fella! :check:

I'm outta here.

Yup, said it a few pages back, really out this time. Later Ya'll:D

Dearly bereaved:

We gather here today to bid farewell to one of the longest, most frustrating threads that has ever sprung from the normally informative and entertaining bowels of AS.

Although the thread lasted only a few days, it managed to generate heretofore unseen levels of resentment, denial, viciousness, and an unprecendented amount of flag waving. Never before has such an army of strawmen been assembled, and slaughtered in such a short period of time.

Although all were in agreement that the cylinder in question appeared as though constructed from smeltered Bud Light cans by an arthritic schizophrenic in the midst of a grand mal seizure, the meaning behind the appearance of such a horribly disfigured totem was the source of much confusion, weeping, and gnashing of teeth.

At the outset, the Swedes and their allies reveled that the chainsaw gods had seen fit to bring forth such a powerful symbol of their long-known, but widely doubted virtue. The celebration was vibrant, but brief, as the wielders of the noble orange saws have good hearts, but short attention spans.

In the lull following the celebration a maelstrom of confusion settled on the thread, with semantic points, legal issues, non sequiters, boxstore justifications, and outright evasion swarming into a perfect storm cloud of confusion. But just when the storm was at its darkest...heros emerged.

These heros stood proud amongst the aluminum rubble, the shattered ideals, and the butchered grammar, to loudly proclaim: I'm proud to own a Stihl...and that cylinder, and all others of its ilk do not represent the Stihl that I am proud to own. It was then, and only then, that Andreas Stihl stopped spinning in his grave, and once again rested comfortably, knowing that there stihl existed standard bearers for all that he had fought for.

In its short life, this thread has brought us sorrow, and joy. It has brought some closer together, and pushed many farther apart. It spawned serious discussion, light-hearted discussion, and light-footed discussion that would have made Ginger Rogers drop Fred Astair like a seized Wild Thing. Let us honor all that this thread has brought us....by never speaking of it again.

I'm outta here.

Sure thing EL-Capitan. I'm outa here. tell next time, you whore. and your little biatch 2K

Thats for another thread, I just opened the gate on this one if all is willing,:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

now you gone and done it. With the VA tour.

2000, the reason is simple. No one likes to see shoddy workmanship defended on a brand with a premium reputation. Simple as that. It's disgusting. It makes consumers feel they've had one put over on them.

Had the defenders responded like Spike did in regards to problems that he's seen, that is, balanced and not making excuses and not running around after red herrings, this thread would have died a long time ago. If you'll notice, I quit stating the obvious way back in this thread, because it's obviously not helping anything. I do admit to losing a little bit of respect for several members here.

And that's all I'm going to say. May this thread die.

I just paid more than $600 for a new 361 and now I see STIHL stamped on the base of the cylinder, not Mahle.

I do feel like I have been had. Betrayed really, and I have read nothing here that would encourage me about the warranty either.

But I am a big boy. I can handle it. I just will never trust Stihl again.

Ok I know this thread has concluded, but before it ends I think Brad needs to summarize what he has learned or anyone else reading this thread should have learned. Here is what I learned and I'm open to criticism.

1) The cylinder posted is not a good cylinder.
2) All Stihl homeowner saws are a POS. According to Brad and he says there are better options out there. However, I know many people out there that cut more wood than Brad does in a year with a so called "Homeowner" inferior saws than Brad does, and they get along just fine.
3) A few of the Husky homeowner saws are a POS. I can't personally attest to that, but Spike's comments on his own line of saws should be commended.
4) We really still have not yet determined the source of the cylinder...is it a Mahle cylinder? Are there Mahle cylinders out there that are defective?
5) There are a lot of people posting on the thead that have minimal experience with saws and tearing down of saws. Woodie this includes you ;)
6) Don't insult THall's mother.
7) Weimedog knows a lot about casting and could probably teach us a bunch.
8) There is a bunch of potential liability involved with modding saws no matter if the saw builders on here want to acknowledge that or not imo. Like I said in a previous post if your comfortable with that ...ok....but I just want to note a word of caution on my part.
9) There were a bunch of personal attacks on this thread that were probably good hearted at first, but got a little out of hand.
10) No matter how much we think we know, Husky, Stihl, and Dolmar, their teams know a lot more about building saws then we will ever know.
11) There is a bunch of knowledgeable people on AS that aren't participating in this thread that I wish that would.
12) Spacemule still likes to stir the pot...he has done that ever since I've been a member of AS.
13) Fastcast loves his Macs, but to his betterment, he acknowledges that the odds aren't in your favor financially if your writing mac sw.

This is all for now, but I'm sure I can drum up some more......

Last edited:
Jerry - I would use the 30 day return policy...i don't think your going to ever be happy thinking that saw may have an inferior cylinder so I would bring it back and buy another saw your more comfortable with.

However on the other hand I can show you a picture of an MS361 (with just a stihl stamped cylinder) that I know has never been maintained, but held up just fine for 1.5 years on a non native clearing crew in washington.

Ok I know this thread has concluded, but before it ends I think Brad needs to summarize what he has learned or anyone else reading this thread should have learned. Here is what I learned and I'm open to criticism.

1) The cylinder posted is not a good cylinder.
2) All Stihl homeowner saws are a POS. According to Brad and he says there are better options out there. However, I know many people out there that cut more wood than Brad does in a year with a so called "Homeowner" inferior saws than Brad does, and they get along just fine.
3) A few of the Husky homeowner saws are a POS. I can't personally attest to that, but Spike's comments on his own line of saws should be commended.
4) We really still have not yet determined the source of the cylinder...is it a Mahle cylinder? Are there Mahle cylinders out there that are defective?
5) There are a lot of people posting on the thead that have minimal experience with saws and tearing down of saws. Woodie this includes you ;)
6) Don't insult THall's mother.
7) Weimedog knows a lot about casting and could probably teach us a bunch.
8) There is a bunch of potential liability involved with modding saws no matter if the saw builders on here want to acknowledge that or not imo. Like I said in a previous post if your comfortable with that ...ok....but I just want to note a word of caution on my part.
9) There were a bunch of personal attacks on this thread that were probably good hearted at first, but got a little out of hand.
10) No matter how much we think we know, Husky, Stihl, and Dolmar, their teams know a lot more about building saws then we will ever know.
11) There is a bunch of knowledgeable people on AS that aren't participating in this thread that I wish that would.
12) Spacemule still likes to stir the pot...he has done that ever since I've been a member of AS.
13) Fastcast loves his Macs, but to his betterment, he acknowledges that the odds aren't in your favor financially if your writing mac sw.

This is all for now, but I'm sure I can drum up some more......

:givebeer::ices_rofl:

Hey, I'm not an unreasonable man. :D

With that said....If you're good, you're good....Write it and they will come. :cheers:

Back