Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, do we now know how many of the 260 / 460 / 660 jugs that are ChiCom and how many that are Mahle after 92 pages of discussions ?

Dr. Kevorkian...Dr. Jack Kevorkian...please report to the "Crappy Stihl Cylinder" thread.

I'm no lawyer so I can't tell you the legalities of it (Maybe space can help out). However, I think it should be considered by the saw builders on this site to make sure they aren't liable if someone was to get hurt with a saw they modded. I'm not sure if this would involve the customer signing some kind of contract or what it would take.

A good friend of mine used to mod a lot of his logging customer's saws along with a bunch of other race saws for people around the US he knew personally. After talking to his lawyer and finding out the potential liability he could potentially face if someone was to get hurt running one of his saws he gave up modding other people's saws completely.

I'm not trying to scare saw builders, but I"m just trying to put a word of caution out there. My buddy didn't feel it was worth the miniscule financial gain he attained from modding saws vs the potential of him and his wife losing a significant portion of what they worked their whole life over a frivilous lawsuit.

Very good advice here for all builders.

chiCom junk

I hate to burst your bubble, but you will be hard pressed to find many American companies now that aren't outsourcing their stuff to China. It really sucks, but shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you will be hard pressed to find many American companies now that aren't outsourcing their stuff to China. It really sucks, but shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

KG,

I won't burst your bubble, but if you read this thread, your bubble will be burst.

Stayin' in the bubble?

joat

Dr. Kevorkian...Dr. Jack Kevorkian...please report to the "Crappy Stihl Cylinder" thread.

Dr. Joat...it seems we are unable to locate Dr. Kevorkian.

Do you know of his whereabouts?

If he is unavailable, do you feel qualified to perform thread euthanasia?

Dr. Joat...it seems we are unable to locate Dr. Kevorkian.

Do you know of his whereabouts?

If he is unavailable, do you feel qualified to perform thread euthanasia?

Ed,

Last I heard, he was staking out your place. I have killed many threads, but this one is beyond my pay grade.

Be careful out there,

joat

Ed,

Last I heard, he was staking out your place. I have killed many threads, but this one is beyond my pay grade.

Be careful out there,

joat

If I told him once, I told him a thousand times. Putting me out of other people's misery does NOT qualify as euthanasia.

Ok I know this thread has concluded, but before it ends I think Brad needs to summarize what he has learned or anyone else reading this thread should have learned. Here is what I learned and I'm open to criticism.

1) The cylinder posted is not a good cylinder.
2) All Stihl homeowner saws are a POS. According to Brad and he says there are better options out there. However, I know many people out there that cut more wood than Brad does in a year with a so called "Homeowner" inferior saws than Brad does, and they get along just fine.
3) A few of the Husky homeowner saws are a POS. I can't personally attest to that, but Spike's comments on his own line of saws should be commended.
4) We really still have not yet determined the source of the cylinder...is it a Mahle cylinder? Are there Mahle cylinders out there that are defective?
5) There are a lot of people posting on the thead that have minimal experience with saws and tearing down of saws. Woodie this includes you ;)
6) Don't insult THall's mother.
7) Weimedog knows a lot about casting and could probably teach us a bunch.
8) There is a bunch of potential liability involved with modding saws no matter if the saw builders on here want to acknowledge that or not imo. Like I said in a previous post if your comfortable with that ...ok....but I just want to note a word of caution on my part.
9) There were a bunch of personal attacks on this thread that were probably good hearted at first, but got a little out of hand.
10) No matter how much we think we know, Husky, Stihl, and Dolmar, their teams know a lot more about building saws then we will ever know.
11) There is a bunch of knowledgeable people on AS that aren't participating in this thread that I wish that would.
12) Spacemule still likes to stir the pot...he has done that ever since I've been a member of AS.
13) Fastcast loves his Macs, but to his betterment, he acknowledges that the odds aren't in your favor financially if your writing mac sw.

This is all for now, but I'm sure I can drum up some more......

Very well said.:agree2:

I know what you mean, hell I have to to go change out the 2nd cooler water pump within a week now. Just try to find a cooler water pump anywhere that is not made in China! Sorry :censored: POS

hmm the new Stihl???????

Picture054.jpg

Latest posts

Back