Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats better
Picture054-1.jpg

:hmm3grin2orange: ahhhhhhohhhhhhh incoming lol @@@$$$%%%%!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how many Stihl dealers are on this site but how many of you would put Brad's cylinder on you counter and proudly tell your customers that this is what you may be getting on your saw. I'm guessing that the answer would be none. You probably wouldn't want them to get a glimpse of that cylinder.

How many Stihl dealers knew that these cylinders were inferior but continued to sell them for the sake of profit?

How many of you will go out after this thread to buy a Stihl saw and not check to see which cylinder it has on it?

Stihl dealers owe it to their customers to try and do something about this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5zey8567bcg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5zey8567bcg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:D

For the Record

Just out of curiosity...if this cylinder was a new "Mahle" would this thread have taken a different course?

Let's find out. :D
(Just for the sake of breaking a thousand.) :laugh:

I recently bought a new piston and cylinder kit for my 084, and was a bit surprised........ Yada yada

For the record Brad.... 2 posts. :D

That post generated 2 responses :laugh: of course it only generated 47 replies the first time I posted it -->HERE<-- a year ago, and I think half of those were mine. :laugh: :cheers:

Last edited:
This thread speaks to the nature of the human condition. A strong parallel can be drawn to the stock market and its bandwagon mood swings, driven as it were by emotion and brain hormones...........

It's a chainsaw. It is used to cut wood. Nothing more, nothing less. That said, if that cylinder were mine, and I had removed it for modding, I would have contacted Stihl and asked them a few questions, but I would have done so politely and respectfully, understanding that they know a heck of a lot more about building saws than I.

I would not have posted an inflammatory thread, knowing full well that many would be foaming at the mouth, indignantly tearing apart perfectly good chainsaws, demanding "answers" to questions that have more to do with their own covetous nature than anything chainsaw-related. And yes, I am guilty of this as well. (the covetous nature, that is...... I have not torn any saws apart looking for substandard jugs)

Can I get a Amen?

This thread speaks to the nature of the human condition. A strong parallel can be drawn to the stock market and its bandwagon mood swings, driven as it were by emotion and brain hormones...........

It's a chainsaw. It is used to cut wood. Nothing more, nothing less. That said, if that cylinder were mine, and I had removed it for modding, I would have contacted Stihl and asked them a few questions, but I would have done so politely and respectfully, understanding that they know a heck of a lot more about building saws than I.

I would not have posted an inflammatory thread, knowing full well that many would be foaming at the mouth, indignantly tearing apart perfectly good chainsaws, demanding "answers" to questions that have more to do with their own covetous nature than anything chainsaw-related. And yes, I am guilty of this as well. (the covetous nature, that is...... I have not torn any saws apart looking for substandard jugs)

Can I get a Amen?

I agree. This thread is crazy with each post fanning the flames. Now there is another post started heading the same direction. Kinda like a hemmoroid, it just wont go away and keeps on burning. :cry:

Is no plating better than plating with a chip in it?

Actually, I have a poulan 3400 with an unplated cylinder and it has held up quite well.

hey my 1959 sears cylinder looks better than the new shihl ones

I have a 60's poulan that would love for its cylinder to look as good as the first one posted, and its 50 years old and still going strong.

It's an internet forum, not parliamentary proceedings. In fact, it is just a thread on an internet forum...no need to tiptoe. As many of the Stihl defenders said, it isn't going to shut down any factories.

If Brad has used the same wording to describe a cylinder from some knockoff, no-one would have taken offense to the way it was worded. If people got their feelings hurt, it was because they weren't being objective.

If anyone was surprised by the Husky dogpile, they haven't been paying much attention to the forum...but I will say (and said earlier) that seeing flaws like that takes the fun out of any brand bashing for me.

Can I get a Amen?

What do you mean just a chainsaw bs, weve all heard of the cancer curing bs of this maker some of us know the truth of the hippie caps and choke switch gadgets which I have and still do poke fun about. However I have heard of the supposedly substandard bb kits and I am sorry but I bought one from bailey,s been using it hard and most don't know what hard is for almost a year but will admit the ice storm for the last three months was its biggest workout it worked fine. This cylinder looked better than the one in this post and the oem cylinder I took off my mooded one looked perfect after many thousands of hours hard work. Hard is; not cutting a little firewood then splitting it is cutting all day never shutting down except at lunch and end of 12 to 16 hour days and my saws all see this treatment regularly if I am lucky to have work. The new 200 t I bought six months ago looks like some of the posters five year old saws:cheers:

Latest posts

Back