Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm late to this party but still interested. Has anyone figured out if this cylinder was made in a separate factory and if so is there a way to identify where a cylinder was made without taking it off?

So I'm late to this party but still interested. Has anyone figured out if this cylinder was made in a separate factory and if so is there a way to identify where a cylinder was made without taking it off?

Go to the first page and look at the pics of the cooling fins...won't tell you where it was made, but it will tell you how it was made.

i've made made over a million master cylinders for toyota vehicles and it kills me to think ppl make a big deal over the casting issues on that saw...u should see what casting issues toyota passes...i think they also have a good reputation

i've made made over a million master cylinders for toyota vehicles and it kills me to think ppl make a big deal over the casting issues on that saw...u should see what casting issues toyota passes...i think they also have a good reputation

Do you pump your brakes 12,000 times a minute?

Do you pump your brakes 12,000 times a minute?
Good Point.

However to use one of your strategies...I think he meant to say there a lot of people on this thread that are making a big issue out of a flawed chainsaw cylinder. These same people are potentially running (OPE equipment, recreation vehicles, automobiles, etc.) that have poorer quality parts that they don't even know about. Does your vehicle have a more defective master cylinder than the chainsaw cylinder depicted in this thread? The majority of people commenting on this thread negatively regarding the brand as a whole, have never seen the inside of their saw cylinder, let alone the inside of their master cylinder.

Are you more comfortable with a saw launching in your hand at 12k rpm or a vehicle that blows a master cylinder while your making an abrupt stop on the interstate with you and your family in it?

Eventhough you may be semi new to AS, there have been many people that like to pile on and blow things way out of proportion eventhough they have little to no technical background with the topic being discussed. However, if you want to seperate yourself from being a brand basher/piler, step back and absorb the knowledge of many of the knowledgeable members on AS.

Everyone on AS is a consumer. With regards to saws, we would all benefit if the playing field amongst saws brands were even. What I mean by a level playing field is dealer network, quality of saws, marketing, etc. We all know it isn't even, but we would all benefit if it was. :cheers:

Last edited:
Good Point.

However to use one of your strategies...I think he meant to say there a lot of people on this thread that are making a big issue out of a flawed chainsaw cylinder. These same people are potentially running (OPE equipment, recreation vehicles, automobiles, etc.) that have poorer quality parts that they don't even know about. Does your vehicle have a more defective master cylinder than the chainsaw cylinder depicted in this thread? The majority of people commenting on this thread negatively regarding the brand as a whole, have never seen the inside of their saw cylinder, let alone the inside of their master cylinder.

Are you more comfortable with a saw launching in your hand at 12k rpm or a vehicle that blows a master cylinder while your making an abrupt stop on the interstate with you and your family in it?

Eventhough you may be semi new to AS, there have been many people that like to pile on and blow things way out of proportion eventhough they have little to no technical background with the topic being discussed. However, if you want to seperate yourself from being a brand basher/piler, step back and absorb the knowledge of many of the knowledgeable members on AS.

Everyone on AS is a consumer. With regards to saws, we would all benefit if the playing field amongst saws brands were even. What I mean by a level playing field is dealer network, quality of saws, marketing, etc. We all know it isn't even, but we would all benefit if it was. :cheers:

i'd be more comfortable with the car because you can steer it or there is always reverse..... personal experience with cars that have no brakes make this possible

Good Point.

I disagree I would not benefit if I thought my saw cured cancer but I do benefit from it being superior to the other brands husky kicks.

Holy crap! 96 pages about a cyl on a saw that ran fine.

I could understand if the saw didnt run well......

All company's are cutting costs. If it doesnt effect the function or longevity of the product whats the big deal?

Good Point.

Great post sir...

One of my "strategies" is to try to get people focus on the issue. We are talking about the cylinder in the pictures that is a piece of crap relative to other Stihl cylinders. Based on reports of others, it looks like it might be a trend and not an anomaly.

Does a reduction in quality by other companies make this cylinder better? No it doesn't. That's why I don't "curve" grades in the classes I teach. In a class full of retards, the smartest retard is not an A student. In a class full of geniuses, the poorest performer is not an F student.

Does a statement that Toyota makes bad master cylinders add anything to the discussion? No. It is another distraction, and an unsubstantiated distraction at that. Even with pictures, however, it still would be a distraction. This person made the master cylinders, and therefore was part of Toyota's quality control. Are you suggesting he was putting out dangerous products? If so, your issue is with him and not me.

However, if you want to seperate yourself from being a brand basher/piler, step back and absorb the knowledge of many of the knowledgeable members on AS.

If you want to separate yourself from the blind supporters, take your own advice and read my posts on this thread before labeling me as a basher/piler. I do have fun with Stihl owners (and Chevy owners) on other threads, but it is just that...fun. It continues to be fun if the level of quality is the same. As I've stated numerous times in this thread, it isn't fun here, it is just sad. My posts are based on disappointment, not brand fidelity. If you can't tell the difference, then I can't help you understand.

One of the things that Stihl bashers don't understand is, if Stihl continues to produce sub-standard saw components, and they continue to get away with it, the other brands will follow suit.

That would indeed be bad so far have not seen it on xp's time will tell all. Someone needs to keep pros happy to heck with homeowners their cheap butts need to hire tree service's imho.

Good grief, Is this still being argued over. The same things are being said over and over. Sure it's not the best looking cylinder but our arguing is not going to change it.

So now i am going to pull a Plant biologist, when a thread gets out of hand,

I LIKE CAKE

One of the things that Stihl bashers don't understand is, if Stihl continues to produce sub-standard saw components, and they continue to get away with it, the other brands will follow suit.

Another excellent point by the big guy.

But, it isn't the Stihl bashers that are going to let them get away with it.

hmmmm.....still going huh? So what would it take to put a nail in this threads coffin??

I tried a eulogy 4 pages (68 posts) earlier, but to no avail.

If only Dr. Kevorkian would return my calls...

Latest posts

Back