crary bear cat chipper model 80 with bad bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustymaggot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i just got this at an auction. its for sure got a bad bearing on the lower pulley. but as far as i can research the new echo bearings arent the same part. can i get regular bearings and try to press them into the triangular flange? or is that a bad idea? whos done the bearings on these things before? any tips for not messing things up? thanks everyone.

On most equipment, bearings are off the shelf parts. It's usually not cost effective for a manufacturer to make a custom bearing unless there's a specific reason.

Sounds like it's a 3 bolt flange bearing?

Do you have a local bearing supplier? I'm sure they can source it.
We've done that vs using highly marked up "OEM" bearings on many things.

@ChoppyChoppy thank you. i tried to google one up but your terminology helped me find what i think is the right part. ill update when i get them and if they fit. by the way, the old bearings are terrible to remove. i had an idea, what if i put the bearing in on the inside on the pulley side? that way in the future i could remove the drum without having to pull the bearing. im assuming its a sealed bearing so it should last a while. and it would make the replacement next time so much easier. and make changing blades easier too. any thoughts?

Back