ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Crash Course in CB Radios

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I know nothing about them, other than from the old Smoky & the Bandit movies - good buddy, 10-4, over and out...

I want to stay connected should there be an emergency situation.
What kind do I need to get and how do I set it up?

Someone on FB suggested this one,

but is it just for a vehicle, or can it be used in the home?
Do I need a base station?

Thanks, guys.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm pretty sure they are on the verge of a comeback... and I think truckers are about to be in the spotlight.... and, could be our communication link should the internet go down.
I'm just wanting to be prepared, just in case.

Just bought the one on eBay

Here's a web site link to CB channels

AFMoulton

AFMoulton

ArboristSite Lurker
If you really want to talk and for any real distance 5w isn’t going to get you there. Study and get your Amateur Radio License.

If the world goes to crap and comms are down I know that I can talk to just about anywhere in the world if conditions are right because I’ve done it.

Most truckers now are going to Amateur Radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AFMoulton

AFMoulton

ArboristSite Lurker
^^^ vhf, ftw. the "big radio" is what lotta trucks are on. have been fer years...
other than worksites, very little cb use here.

Or go HF and talk for miles and miles. When I lived in Idaho, I talked to people in South America and Australia, South Pacific, Europe, and just about every state.

Totally worth it!

Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks

ArboristSite Guru
We use VHF radios in our volunteer fire dept. They work pretty well. We have a data file with about 120 frequencies that we might use. Everything from the Cal Fire frequencies to the air ambulance to our own that we use. I have a 50 watt radio at my house with a tuned antenna, a 50 watt radio in my truck, and some hand held 8 watt radios.

This is the unit I use in my truck, as well as in my garage using a 12V power supply.

71uJlbjw7XL._AC_SL1410_[1].jpg

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think you want a short wave radio. The only thing I know about them is that you need to get a license to operate one and the antennas are a real pain to remove from roofs. I have done several antenna removals over the years.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good god almighty.

Looks like a repeat of the gun thread I started a while back. :dizzy:

I have no clue what you're all talking about.... "data frequencies, short wave, watts, vhf, ftw, the "big radio"... WTF? :oops:

Where's a good place for a beginner to start reading up/ videos on this subject?
I need more information before I start asking questions.

AFMoulton

AFMoulton

ArboristSite Lurker
Good god almighty.

Looks like a repeat of the gun thread I started a while back. :dizzy:

I have no clue what you're all talking about.... "data frequencies, short wave, watts, vhf, ftw, the "big radio"... WTF? :oops:

Where's a good place for a beginner to start reading up/ videos on this subject?
I need more information before I start asking questions.

Start here, this guy is worth every second