Crazy Thought

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Trantham

Reaction score
I own a Stihl 051 AV. I am too old for that weight much less pulling without comp release. On my homestead farm I have to cut through about 40-60 ft of 3-4 in concrete. The saw runs bull nose 28" 404. Could my saw be turned into a 14-16" diamond blade and bar cutting saw. Rentals of these concrete saws are $600 week. Any help would eternally be grateful.

Hey jack. If it were me I would leave the 051 as is, buy a cheap concrete saw and do your job, sell it if you don't wanna keep it. Same with the 051. Or barter for the work to be done. I love barter and horse tradin if I don't wanna lay out the cash. God luck. And keep that diamond blade wet so you don't burn er up.

I work in masonry/ concrete and have run the concrete chainsaw. They are a specialty saw and I wouldn't try to convert a wood saw to diamond. plus the diamond chainsaw is more for depth cutting and nearly impossible to cut a straight line without first scoring the line with a regular diamond blade or carbon fiber concrete blade. There are several options for you to save money. Buy a used gas chop saw from Craigslist, letgo or maybe a pawnshop. Sell it once you are done to recoup your money. They can be found starting around 300. And up. Rent a cut off saw from home Depot. They aren't terribly expensive by the day and that's about all you will need to make that amount of cuts. You could even put a diamond blade on a circular saw. You won't get the depth to cut thru but the scored line you make will make for a clean break when you hammer out the concrete. Good luck and remember to wear proper safety equipment and protect yourself and those around you from the dust.

Darn, you should be out near me. The Stihl shop has a used Stihl concrete cutter for about $450. Big air filter and all. I was thinking about buying it and putting a bar on it, I like that big air filter.

Jack these As guys are spot on. I used a beam saw with a HF diamond blade allong with a regular skill saw. I wired a small vinyl tube to keep the blade cooled and wet. I get a few hundred feet out of each blade so far. You have to be aware of rebar and wire mesh. Thanks

Back