Crepe Myrtles in SC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Martin

Reaction score
After moving recently to Zone 7, Upstate SC, last fall I planted 10 crepe myrtles along my drive. They were well cared for after planting and kept mulched over the winter. This spring, all the stalks seem to be dead with no sign of green under the skin at all. However, under the mulch at the base of the shrubs, are sprouts and new leaves appearing. Does this mean the 5 foot tall plants of last fall have all died above ground but new growth is coming from the roots? Should I remove all the dead wood above ground?
Al

crape myrtles

Darin,
Thanks for the response and the link. After reading at the link, I know more about pruning but still not much about my original problem. I think the only thing to do is as you suggest, whack the dead stems off and hope whatever is coming up from the roots is able to grow into a bush or tree or something recognizable.
Thanks again,
Al

Have you seen other crepe myrtles bloom in your area? It might be a late bloomer. I dont have these type of trees in my area (Colorado) but if you want more of a tree, cutting the main "stem" might make it sucker up from the bottom. It will make it more of a bush that might not be what you are looking for. In the pics I saw it looks like some people make them more like a tree and others a bush. My other question is if you planted them last fall, you should have recieved some sort of warranty on them. Did you? Take them back and start over if you did.
Darin

crape myrtles

Yes, Darin, you are right that I want trees and not shrubs.
Returning them is about my only resort. Well, at least the dirt will be loose for the next ones. :) Have a good summer.
Al

crape myrtles

Yes, Darin, you are right that I want trees and not shrubs.
Returning them is about my only resort. Well, at least the dirt will be loose for the next ones. :) Have a good summer.
Al
Al, I live in midlands S.C. too. I am wondering how the trees are doing now?
Would love photos of them.

Latest posts

Back