Cross Performance vs Hyway aftermarket cylinders/pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What's the opinion on these parts. I have been running Cross cylinders and pistons but they are currently out of stock at HL. The Hyway also for that matter. Guy at HL says they are about the same. Parts are going in TS 700/800 cut off saws. BTW if you run them hard on carts like we do they break the mag side case half at the ignition coil alleyway.

I have not found any aftermarket TS700/800 cylinders that run right. Due to the cheesy aftermarket imitations of Stihl's design of the four reed check valves on the two "stratified charge" air intake ports; The aftermarket ones do not seat right, which causes fuel mixture to spray backwards, and not only unbalances the intake charge, it renders the design of cleaner scavenging engine into a horrible running polluter. It seems that the chinese won't, or can't make them correctly.
That being said; I have found all other Hyway, and Cross designs to be very good, tough substitutions though. The TS400 cylinders have excellent power, IMO.
So it is written........so let it be done.

They usually get broken at the coil, from other tools being thrown in on top of them in the truck in a rush, at Miller time. Lol....
If you use the newer replacement TS800 fan side crankcase, they are less prone to breakage. They have been bolstered, and beefed up because of this common breakage. Also, the TS800 fan side will work for the TS700 as well. :yes:

I was wondering about the TS800 vs 700 cases as they are different part numbers. The NW region rep told me that the cases break due to extended run times using carts. All our saws are mounted to carts. We probably have somewhere around 15 saws. I have personally replaced case halves on at least 8-10 occasions. Now I am seeing broken cylinder head bolts, that is new but rep says it does happen. I work for the City and do the small engine repair.

Latest posts

Back