Crossbow line launcher.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Works been slow since it won't warm up so I got to thinking about throw lines and all these large ash trees that are going to need to come down sooner than later. Anyone build a crossbow line launcher?

I watched a couple YouTube videos on it and came up with this. I only shot it once and it was awesome.
20180404_195340.jpg
20180404_195333.jpg

I had the old Barnett wildcat laying around. It's not good for hunting because it's on the weak side. I had the real too. So some 50lb test and a fiberglass rod and here it is.

Works been slow since it won't warm up so I got to thinking about throw lines and all these large ash trees that are going to need to come down sooner than later. Anyone build a crossbow line launcher?

I watched a couple YouTube videos on it and came up with this. I only shot it once and it was awesome.
View attachment 644406
View attachment 644407

I had the old Barnett wildcat laying around. It's not good for hunting because it's on the weak side. I had the real too. So some 50lb test and a fiberglass rod and here it is.

WOW, monte carlo stock and all!Never seen one like that.

WOW, monte carlo stock and all!Never seen one like that.

It's an old one. I made sure that whatever I did to add the reel I didn't compromise the crossbow. Pull two bolts out and it's back to original. I think it's got the 175# draw bow on it. It was a mean crossbow back in the day. I have a compound Barnett for hunting, this was just for target shooting. It's not real accurate after 25 yards.

I thought about that years ago and never tried it. I have used a rod with a nut on the end and could cast it 80-90 feet, then pulled a 1/2 climbing line through a crotch, it worked ok. But a "Big Shot" works best. It will launch a throwing bag as high as you could ever need it to. The waxed line will run on any kind of bark, no matter how sharp and jagged. But, the big shot is close to $200 and the waxed line isn't cheap either. So, for the average scrounger the crossbow is probably a good idea. You can get old bows that would work cheap, Joe.

image.jpg
We need details:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

You can see the ball valve at the top ...has like 30" of 1.5 PVC after that..fits a throw bag perfect. I put a cheap gauge in it and a old schrarer valve for charging , takes about 25psi to shoot a 10 oz. bag 80'.

I started with like 60psi and it sent the bag and 150' of slick line into the stratosphere!

I'll stop derailing the crossbow shooter thread with my plumbing cannon.

View attachment 644501

You can see the ball valve at the top ...has like 30" of 1.5 PVC after that..fits a throw bag perfect. I put a cheap gauge in it and a old schrarer valve for charging , takes about 25psi to shoot a 10 oz. bag 80'.

I started with like 60psi and it sent the bag and 150' of slick line into the stratosphere!

I'll stop derailing the crossbow shooter thread with my plumbing cannon.

You are not derailing it. It actually fits right in. I was looking for an alternative to the big shot and to actually trying to throw the line. I just finished the crossbow last night and wanted to post a pic.

I was about to build a pvc line launcher. One where you spray some type of flammable aerosol in it and then ignite it. I ended up spending way too much money and buying one that uses a 22 cal blank to launch a weight. There are a few different sizes of blanks, you can launch as high as you want depending on the blank shell load you put in it. It is compact in the toolbox, and sure is fun to use. (requires ear muffs).
http://www.sherrilltree.com/sherrilltree-big-launcher-kit
Because of the heave weight, it has a lot of kick to it for a 22 shell.

I was about to build a pvc line launcher. One where you spray some type of flammable aerosol in it and then ignite it. I ended up spending way too much money and buying one that uses a 22 cal blank to launch a weight. There are a few different sizes of blanks, you can launch as high as you want depending on the blank shell load you put in it. It is compact in the toolbox, and sure is fun to use. (requires ear muffs).
http://www.sherrilltree.com/sherrilltree-big-launcher-kit
Because of the heave weight, it has a lot of kick to it for a 22 shell.

That thing looks awsome, it's a good investment for a pro.

I need to come up with a sighting system for my cannon .

That thing looks awsome, it's a good investment for a pro.

I need to come up with a sighting system for my cannon .

I am no pro, but I don't hunt, fish, or play golf. My firewood hobby saves me so much money I figure I can afford another saw or firewood toy of some kind.
I need a sighting system also. I am a terrible shot

I purchased an inexpensive crossbow pistol for $22 and a cheap reel $9 and zip tied the reel to the bow. I drilled two holes through the cross bow frame and a hole through the bolt and tied the line to it. After 3 practice shots and a few attempts I had pretty good control. Used fishing line, then paracord, then 1/2 inch line to a chain-saw. Hardest part was rolling the saw way up on the limb, so I ziptied the saw to the rope in the correct position and once the saw wrapped over the limb I just broke the ziptie with added pressure. I was able to reach a limb about 30 feet high farely easily. Zip ties not attached or shown in the photo.
20180421_195040.jpg

I have one of those crossbow pistols. I watched a YouTube video and it looked like there was some difficulty shooting it and taking the line off the real so I went with the 150# crossbow. I would have liked to use the pistol but I was afraid of the result.

I purchased an inexpensive crossbow pistol for $22 and a cheap reel $9 and zip ties the reel to the bow. I drilled a hole through the bolt and tied the line to it. After 3 practice shots and a few attempts I had pretty good control. Used fishing line, then paracord, then 1/2 inch line to a chain-saw. Hardest part was rolling the saw way up on the limb, so I ziptied the saw to the rope in the correct position and once the saw wrapped over the limb I just broke the ziptie with added pressure. I was able to reach a limb about 30 feet high farely easily.View attachment 647877

So are u doing this with one of those hand chain saws to trim branches? That's an idea I never thought about. If I can't reach it with the pole saw off a ladder then it's not getting trimmed. I have a few widow makers that are going to kill me one of these days while I'm cutting the grass.

Yes, this limb was dead and about 15 feet long and about 8 or 10 inches in diameter. My rope was long enough to distance myself and provide an undercut before the limb fell. This process worked really well.

I have one of those crossbow pistols. I watched a YouTube video and it looked like there was some difficulty shooting it and taking the line off the real so I went with the 150# crossbow. I would have liked to use the pistol but I was afraid of the result.
I used a reel with about 10# test. I thought larger line would probably interfere with the bolts tragectory. The line is placed in the bow channel under the bolt and attached to the rear of the bolt. When I forgot to release the reel or the reel did not release properly the line broke. The bolt and line would go high enough where I could barely see it. Without the line the bolt would disappear in the heavens. And, I would throttle the line by grabbing it after it reached the limb. The paracord was necessary because the 10# test would NEVER handle the larger rope or the resistance when the rope crests the limb.

Latest posts

Back