Crushed MS270 Re Birth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedford T

the1chainsawguy
Reaction score
The owner was not hurt, clearly when the small tree hit this, its owner chose to run, but forgot to grab the saw when he left. Possibly, this increased his chance to upgrade with mommy and he declined a repair, so score. I thought this would make a great project, who am I fooling any saw would make a great project, because, these small saws have a hybrid body. Part plastic and magnesium. You can see in the photo I decided to use, used parts in the repair and no one seems to spend 10 seconds cleaning them up before the sale. I will need to clean the replacement parts before I begin, saw was cleaned. I ain't working on a dirty saw. Major damage appears to be the fan housing (plastic) and recoil assembly. i don't think huztl or farmertec makes anything for this saw.

I may tear it down a little more so we can get a good look at it's potential beauty. It uses the same type bars and chain a 029 would use and I have extras, so no additional costs there. Unknown saw so the fuel line gets replaces and will check the other rubber for replacement might be an AV spring may need replacement as well. So we will see what more it might need. But I have a good start already.

ms270 crush.jpg
ms270 clutch side.jpg ms270 muffler.jpg ms270 top.jpg

Check carefully all of those funky AV mounts, they are easily boogered up.
Your right. One on bottom clutch side broke and the other looks suspect. That's just rolling it over to look. The plug was broke in half and stuck in coil cap but no damage to threads. Another one is in it now.

There is a difference in the rotor assembly. The C has only one pawl
8e97e32faf4a20fb25d982da7f80a88f.jpg

Wanting to get jump on tomorrow I thought I would do a pressure test and look at engine condition. Very little to zero carbon build up. The top muffler screw of the three sheared right off, even of course. Pressure test will need to wait while I address that. Looks like I was correct on it not being used a lot.
4ece1d5ae157662fb8e944bcda80b7bb.jpg
1e09400f39072ba67b43ed2027df13c6.jpg

Replaced the fuel line and filter. Fuel line was like the stretch man you used to buy as a toy. Lots of dirt in the tank. That does not belong in there. I will wash it out before using it.
df3b49e3d584b372630cdeecdd177180.jpg

With that much dirt I would take the covers off the carb and check the screen. Fine dirt will pass the main filter. Going to be a nice saw again when your done.

With that much dirt I would take the covers off the carb and check the screen. Fine dirt will pass the main filter. Going to be a nice saw again when your done.
Yes sir, there was much more in there. Will do.

baby steps. still collecting parts. uncover needs as you go.

AV Handle

Fuel circuit test

Back