Cs310 bar/chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kommandokenny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got the over oiling issue solved,so drilling out the cat in the muffler now.

Anyway I have this bar14AOCD3752 8B..The chain came with it new ,,5 years ago .
Never used this saw much, but at 64, I'm having trouble limbing with the 038.
Is there a more aggressive chain that can be bought alone, or do I have to buy a new bar also.
My back and I are starting to like this saw but want to get the best performance out of it.
Cutting only hardwood and hardwood limbs.
Any and all input much appreciated!
Thanks ...
Kenny

Ive got the echo stock chain, 14 inch as above. No idea of the chain numbers,[RUBBED OFF] ,,,but I listed the bar numbers: 14 AOCD3752 8B

Wood this chain [stock] be considered a safety chain??.

Safety chain has extra bumpers in front of the cutters. Regular chain does not.
http://www.histo.cat/sabies/Safety-Chain-Saw
Chain sharpness has WAY more effect on cutting speed than safety/non safety chain. I don't notice a difference at all when cutting small stuff. On big wood the difference is much less than between a sharp and a non sharp chain (and I tend to keep my chains sharp). I prefer safety chain for brush, regular chain for felling and bucking big trees. The safety chain tends to get caught by brush less than non safety chain.

Your saw probably has low profile 3/8 chain.

You can get a small improvement in cutting speed by using narrow kerf chain and bar. That's be .043 gauge instead of the .050 that you probaby have now. The narrower chain has to remove less material. The bar I got (Woodland Pro ArborMax from Baileys) is lighter than a standard .050 bar the same length.

If you want the best 3/8 LP chain, find a full service Stihl dealer who makes chains off the roll and have them do up some loops of PS or PS3 for you. Much better chain than any other 3/8 LP on the market for both durability and cutting speed.

Make sure you know how many drive links you need as echo loops use a different DL count than the same length Stihl bar and they may try to steer you to the Stihl DL count.

Got the over oiling issue solved,so drilling out the cat in the muffler now.

Anyway I have this bar14AOCD3752 8B..The chain came with it new ,,5 years ago .
Never used this saw much, but at 64, I'm having trouble limbing with the 038.
Is there a more aggressive chain that can be bought alone, or do I have to buy a new bar also.
My back and I are starting to like this saw but want to get the best performance out of it.
Cutting only hardwood and hardwood limbs.
Any and all input much appreciated!
Thanks ...
Kenny
Its a cs310......Just sharpen your chain and you'll think your operating a new saw. More aggressive chain on that is like putting racing slicks on a Toyota camry.

I have 2 cs 310 echos, and they cut plenty fast!!! If your's don't, do as suggested, sharpen the chain you have! lol!! Both of mine are the chains that came on them new, and cut excellent. I use mine all the time, probably cut bigger stuff than I should, but the little guys start so easy, and cut fast for a plastic saw, lightweight, and super to limb with. I grind my own chains and keep them touched up with a file between tanks of gas. You don't want a super agressive chain on these little guys. It would hard to handle the saws. Just my 0.000002! lol!!! ---oh,--I'm 71 and cut with the big saws too!

its an A-041 mount you can 14 inch bar is 52 link 12 would be 45 16 would be 56 or even 57 have seen both....mine cuts fine with either oregon vxl or the oregon advance cut safety chain but yes sharpen it....

I like the advance cut on the lower cc saws as the tooth is smaller and if its sharp seems to cut very well... on my cs 400 i run vxl pro chain with the longer cutters....been hearing good stuff about the stihl chain the ps3

Latest posts

Back