CSMAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My idea of relaxing certainly doesn't involve a chainsaw!

But then, I'm not running saws all day at work ;), and when the Wife and I go wood cutting, it is generally up on the mountain, not bucking logs dumped in a commercial yard.

There are plenty of activities other people do to relax, that I don't understand either. There are a lot of people that ENJOY Restoring old vehicles, NOT ME, Some jump out of Perfectly Good Aircraft, betting it all on a bit of Nylon, No Thanks, Not for ME.
Then there is Stamp and/or Coin Collecting, OKAY, if you Enjoy it, you Don't have to worry about me bidding against you on a desired piece.

Then there are those that Absolutely HATE Firearms beyond Reason, I don't understand that either :confused::(

We each find things Enjoyable that some will Never understand.

Try to find that which you enjoy, and don't think about those that don't share your interests

Myself, I would neither notice nor Care, if the NFL, and most other Pro Sports folded tomorrow, but I know that there are many that would be inconsolable

To Each Their Own,

Doug :cheers:

Okay, I have had CAD for awhile now, but my CAD has also morphed into a case of CSMAD, so now I have a Full Blown case of BOTH Afflictions :surprised3:.

It started out when my Trusty 266XP "Old Reliable" was finally found wanting cutting Big Wood, at over 6,000 elevation, I was considering stepping up to a 395XP, BUT at about the same time my Wife was thinking that our Dining Room Table, which is a 38"x58"x 3.5" Douglas Fir Slab, with the Bark still on both side edges, wasn't Big enough anymore, really Pretty grain and knots, just too small.

Well I got to looking at it thinking with a CSM, I could probably build that:), and then I found Dave the Chainsaw Guy (who is an AS Member it turns out) on ebay selling Husky 3120XP's for $1399 +89 shipping, PERFECT STORM;):surprised3::).

I then had THE SAW for CSMing, and just last night and today I was putting together all the little Goodies that the Brown Trucks, and the White trucks MYSTERIOUSLY left on my Front Porch while I was at work:blob2::dancing::happybanana:.

Well it turns out CSMAD is every bit as Dangerous as CAD;), I decided NOT to fool around sticking a Toe in the water, but do a Swan Dive from the High Board, in all those Boxes that MYSTERIOUSLY appeared on my porch I found:

1 Granberg G778-48 48" Basic Mill

1 Granberg G778-36 36" Basic Mill

1 Granberg G777 Small Log Mill

1 Granberg G555B Mini Mill/Edger

1 Granberg G1080 9' EZ Rail set

2 Granberg G1085 5' EZ Rail sets

2 Granberg G1090 EZ Rail connector kits

I still have a couple New bars in transit:

1 Husqvarna HT343-128 44" Bar

1 Husqvarna HT343-172 60" Bar

I will have to get some chains for the bars when they get here, but I will wait until I actually HAVE them before I order the Chains.

I was thinking about getting the 60" Handle and rail set to be able to upgrade, one of the Mills to 60", but when I started pricing Granbergs parts to do that, it wasn't that much less than a G778-60 that I found online, so if the price doesn't change in the future, I may go that route.

I also would like to try the Granberg G988 Roller kit for the Thrust end depth post, in the future.

My Wife is very supportive, and is almost as anxious as I am for me to get a chance to try out the Mills, I have several projects in mind to try out, learning to use the Mills before I tackle a Dining Table.

Unfortunately, I don't have the access to suitable wood like some of the guys here do, but by getting a special use permit from the Forest Circus, I can look for some good logs in the Mt. Hood National Forest near where I live, plus I do have some private land opportunities as well, not as much to choose from, but I think that I will be able find enough to get started, and then a little networking will Hopefully help lead me to more opportunities.

I will say, that I am impressed with the Quality of the materials and workmanship in the Granberg products, everything went together as it should, everything arrived in Excellent condition, with no Damaged, Missing, or incorrect parts (other than a Vendor mispull/ship that was corrected).

I have been a Lurker here on the Milling forum for quite awhile, and have learned a lot( with still a LOT to learn yet, no doubt), I have been impressed with the results of many of the members here, and Hopefully in the future, I can post some results that others will appreciate.

Now, I have more than enough gear to get a Great Start, I just need the weather to cooperate a little, it seems like nonstop Rain at the house, and the snow is still lower than I like up in the woods:(, But I WILL get up there and get some projects started.

I caught a vicious case of CSMAD ( probably from this site) and here are the results. I designed and built a machine based on a chainsaw mill that also functions as a large capacity lathe(10"diax108" length), a large capacity mortise machine(24"x96" bed,14" vertical stroke), and a large capacity drill press(24'x96" bed, 14" vertical stroke) in addition to a chainsaw mill with plunge cutting capabilities. I drew it using Turbocad's 3-D solid modeling software. Don't let the rest of these guys with bandmills get you down on your choice, a bandmill wasn't in my budget either but have less than a grand in building this machine and I think the pics speak for themselves. Go to dropbox links for more pics and info.

machine: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nr4yw91iv2hgdl0/AACv5-Unq_KSGyYK-2YHwWIBa?dl=0

log furniture it makes: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pq9hfk8rqr7l416/AADQZxeku_HGeIBLpz4MeasIa?dl=03.JPG

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    728.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 8.1.JPG
    8.1.JPG
    746.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    802.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    800.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 42.JPG
    42.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 43.JPG
    43.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 46.JPG
    46.JPG
    827.8 KB · Views: 10
BE362CF2-579E-4758-A106-C90FBD9DC334.jpeg 7655211B-27FD-48E6-A7A4-8349C7AB38AE.jpeg A2B71D82-1A41-48E1-AA97-995D292077C2.jpeg Don’t worry about your CAD. Worry about the CSMAD. It can mutate into something much more life altering known as CHRAD(circle head rig addiction) with a touch of PAD (planer addiction) EAD (edger addiction) And SEAD (support equipment addiction). It will result in the purchase of much larger, more expensive power equipment such as Circle head rigs, planers, edgers, skidders and loaders. Followed by trying to buy wood lots to feed your addiction.Then you’re in deep.

Thank You for the warm Welcome. With a 395 running about $1279, and the 3120 at $1399. (PHO) + $89 shipping, it was pretty much a No brainer when I started thinking about milling, it would have been tempting even without wanting to try milling for that price, the $1799 MSRP was one thing, but at $1488 shipped to my door, I pulled the trigger,

The 395XP is still on my Cad list, probably to be followed by a 372XP and maybe a 550XP some day, yeah right, someday? Anyone here REALLY BELIEVE there is any doubt those will all find a home in my garage ?

UPDATE:

I found a link to this old thread, while Googling another CAD Issue,

Well, the 550XP, actually Beat the 372XP to my garage, as did a 390XP, then 395XP, I did eventually, get that 372XP, and it was recently followed by a 543XP :innocent:

That Dayum @Skeans, has got my curiosity piqued by the 562XP, plus that same scoundrel, has convinced me that the 395XP, and 390XP are an Embarrassment here on the West Coast, IF they haven't got Full Wrap Bars, so they now have those installed, along with a set of "Junkyard Dawgs" each as well, with a set of Full Wrap Bars and Junkyard Dawgs, likely to be added to the 372XP as well.

Have I mentioned that I MAY have a SLIGHT Case of CAD?

I don't have any Harley's, or Vintage Vettes, so my CAD keeps me occupied, and HOPEFULLY, Out of Jail :laughing:,AND Heats our Home as well.

So far, my Wife not only Tolerates my CAD, but even ENCOURAGES IT:surprised3:,

She says that "Chainsaws are Useful, and that you can't have Too Many":oops::happybanana::dancing:

I will Enjoy that attitude as Long as I can

Hi, I'm Doug, and I have a Problem.............

Actually TWO Problems,
My Garage Isn't BIG Enough,
And, My BUDGET, Isn't BIG Enough:)

Latest posts

Back