Cub Cadet Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gspbrct

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Cub Cadet 25 ton splitter and I was wondering if anyone has any input as far as putting more durable wheels/tires on it for towing purposes. I’m fairly mechanically capeable with experience welding, light metal fabrication, and auto repair. Thanks in advance.

Most of the consumer splitters have stub axles welded to the oil tanks. This makes for a nice compact package but isn’t the best setup for road towing. The good news is most of the stub axles are pretty standard so it shouldn’t be too hard to find a beefier wheel/tire combo. Just take the wheel off and measure the shaft. I would bet it’s 1”. Just keep in mind if you change the height of the tire you’ll have to extend the tongue jack/prop as well to keep things level.

The bad news if you have this setup is that the towing limit is more than just the tires. IMO the lack of suspension is the problem. Any long distance towing risks cracking the oil tank. I towed my splitter a couple times and came to the conclusion that the best longer distance towing solution was to trailer it. I bolted a hitch to the front of my trailer to immobilize the splitter inside the trailer. It works great.

All the small consumer splitter have the same problem as @Streblerm aptly described.

Put the splitter (tie down well) on small trailer such as a 6 x 10' with a fold down rear ramp and you could haul some wood to at the same time.

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it. In the past, I have loaded it the back of my pickup to get to the site, then just tow it home (taking back roads) with a load of wood in the bed. I had a tire blowout a couple years ago that sparked my current thoughts of an upgrade.

Upgrading the tires for short trips should be no problem. I see lots of trailers with short tires on the highway and I’m sure the stub axle is a standard size. You could probably find a wider wheel of the same height. Regardless of the tire’s speed rating I wold keep the trips short and the speeds low.

Back