Cucumbers an onions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cucumbers, peeled and seeded. Raw onion into stir fry type pieces. Mayo, vinegar, S&P to taste. Simple, delicious.

Wife makes cucumbers and onions two different ways, I like them both. Her usual go to recipe is cucumbers and red or white onions with white vinegar and an equal amount of water, salt and pepper. She has put a table spoon of sugar in it to temper the vinegar but I don’t like it that way.
Second recipe is to salt the onion and cucumber and let it sweat a bit and then add sour cream and fresh or dried dill, mix and the add pepper and more salt if needed. Grew cucumbers last year and this year I’m growing cucumbers and for the first time onions. I didn’t know onions grew well in sandy soil, mine are actually doing quit well even though I planted late.

Wife makes cucumbers and onions two different ways, I like them both. Her usual go to recipe is cucumbers and red or white onions with white vinegar and an equal amount of water, salt and pepper. She has put a table spoon of sugar in it to temper the vinegar but I don’t like it that way.
Second recipe is to salt the onion and cucumber and let it sweat a bit and then add sour cream and fresh or dried dill, mix and the add pepper and more salt if needed. Grew cucumbers last year and this year I’m growing cucumbers and for the first time onions. I didn’t know onions grew well in sandy soil, mine are actually doing quit well even though I planted late.
rake the dirt away from them onions and watch them grow into softball size

Actually, tried this recipe today with great results. It was a pinch too sweet for me so next time I will ditch the sugar. I think some grated carrots would not be unwelcome.

might have to try that. is there a recipe? we got plenty cukes and onions... straight out of the garden...
PB290051.JPG
PB290053.JPG
PB090003.JPG

I don't know if I even want to talk about cukes and onions. My first planning of onions rotted before they got big enough to pull, the same for my second plantings. My cukes I replanted 3 times before they came up. Just now starting to climb. Squirrel's pulled my squash and ate the seeds off the bottom of my plants. I replanted seed a couple of times and finally bought plants. They are just now starting to bloom. My taters have made all vines, I dug into a hill the other day and no signs of any spud's. I suspect birds pulling my okra out of the ground. I had 2 pretty thick rows one day and nothing the next. Replanted and its 6 or 9 inchs tall now. I got 2 rows of peanut beans that are actually starting to put on beans. My lettuce has done pretty good, I just didn't plant enough as we keep it eaten as fast as it can grow. Radishes have also done decent, again didn't plant enough. Worse garden year I have ever had. I still suspect soil issues the previous owners put in before I bought this place. Really bad drainage and rain every day isn't helping. I am considering removing all the dirt from the raised bed and installing some type of French drain under the soil, and then mixing in something that doesn't compact as much as whats in there now.

I don't know if I even want to talk about cukes and onions. My first planning of onions rotted before they got big enough to pull, the same for my second plantings. My cukes I replanted 3 times before they came up. Just now starting to climb. Squirrel's pulled my squash and ate the seeds off the bottom of my plants. I replanted seed a couple of times and finally bought plants. They are just now starting to bloom. My taters have made all vines, I dug into a hill the other day and no signs of any spud's. I suspect birds pulling my okra out of the ground. I had 2 pretty thick rows one day and nothing the next. Replanted and its 6 or 9 inchs tall now. I got 2 rows of peanut beans that are actually starting to put on beans. My lettuce has done pretty good, I just didn't plant enough as we keep it eaten as fast as it can grow. Radishes have also done decent, again didn't plant enough. Worse garden year I have ever had. I still suspect soil issues the previous owners put in before I bought this place. Really bad drainage and rain every day isn't helping. I am considering removing all the dirt from the raised bed and installing some type of French drain under the soil, and then mixing in something that doesn't compact as much as whats in there now.

sorry to hear such, ms - frustrating for sure. din't you relocate, move... cause u had so many deer they ate everything, too?

sorry to hear such, ms - frustrating for sure. din't you relocate, move... cause u had so many deer they ate everything, too?
I sold my house last July. I moved into this one in March, about the time this covid crap hit the fan. The raised bed was already here. Its located in the shade and the soil sucks. Not time to do anything about it before planting time. Spent to much time to get everything moved and I am still trying to get my shop ready to work in. I still have a shop full of tools I have to move or start paying storage fees. And dang if it don't rain about every day. I have bought the property that joins me thru a forclosure, Looks like I will have to move most of my shop contents to there and store a lot of it outside. Dang covid kept extending the bidding dead line almost 2 months and it put the squeeze on me being able to do anything as far as moving things I really have to get moved.

Latest posts

Back