Cummins 4BT turbo oil return line leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUCV

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've got a tractor that has a 4BT Cummins engine with an oil leak. I've narrowed the oil leak down to the turbo return line where it goes into the block. It's a hard line that should be pressed in but I'm able it slide it in and out a bit. Has anyone else experienced this what did you do for a fix? Looks like there are some options to go to a flexible line or AN line with some adapters. Anyone have experience with these conversions.oil leak.jpg

On my truck i did away with the hard lines and ran 3/4" push lok fitting into the oil pan. I used the punch method then added some sealent and let the npt fitting bite into the punched hole. Been fine for over 150k on my compound truck. Zero leaks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There is no O-ring where the press fit return line goes into the block on my engine. I ended up removing the return line, making a swaging tool to increase the size of the return line and pressing it back in. Zero dollar fix. The return line on my TW-5 is fit into the hydraulic pump with the same method. A pieces of wood got caught on the push ram on the return stroke and ripped the return line out. I called Timberwolf and the only factory fix was a new pump. I ended up fixing it with the same method by swaging a piece of pipe I had in the shop to press fit into the pump.

Back