Curved Maple Tree Trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yone

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve tried searching to the end of Google but haven’t yet been able to find an answer...

We have a Brandywine Maple tree with a curved trunk that I planted about 3 or 4 years ago. I tried holding it straight with a guy wire for two consecutive growing seasons, but it snapped right back when I took it off.

My question is, should I leave the guy wire on for a longer length of time (2-3 years straight)? Or will it straighten as the trunk grows and gets wider in diameter?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any input or suggestions.

Attachments

• 6C8F2D78-F19E-4C05-A372-79FA9624E708.jpeg
    6C8F2D78-F19E-4C05-A372-79FA9624E708.jpeg
    988.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 081CB61A-0A81-4F73-A8F8-418D358CD117.jpeg
    081CB61A-0A81-4F73-A8F8-418D358CD117.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
It will straighten over time. Propping it actually tells it that it does not need to build the strength/taper in the trunk that will hold it straight.

A little minor pruning would help. Shorten some of those branches on the side of the lean. Not too much...removing too many also messes with the natural taper of the tree.

It will straighten over time. Propping it actually tells it that it does not need to build the strength/taper in the trunk that will hold it straight.

A little minor pruning would help. Shorten some of those branches on the side of the lean. Not too much...removing too many also messes with the natural taper of the tree.

Thank you!

I agree, don't stake it just yet and if you do, do not put the stakes next to the trunk. Set the stakes out from the trunk and use rope and some cut pieces of water hose to keep the rope from damaging the tree.
If you put the stake next to the trunk it cuts the light from getting to that side of the trunk and that makes the cells grow longer on that side and when you remove the stake it will lean over to the other side.

Back