custom chainsaw pack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alonfn4

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but I figured this was a great place to start off again. I’m am still active in the tree care field but I work in more than one industry now... both get fairly equal time, well all of it. I surprisingly had some free time over thanksgiving... and here’s what happen...

So as the year have gone by with tree work. I've enjoyed spending more time on the ground. but really who want to miss out on all the fun... So that means taking on more technical falling jobs one of my favorite things... My expertise in mountain climbing and tons of saw use give me an odd skill set... So after years of pushing it off, like 5+ yrs... its time... A professional purpose built chainsaw pack. That can handle big and small jobs alike way off the beaten path...

A good friend gave me an external frame pack with harness... and so it began...
Set up can hold 201t upto ms660 36” bar. The current weight is just under 40 lb with A Fiskar x15 and my silky sugoi 420 neither are pictured.

First test fit of the saw ( Stihl ms362 20” ) and some Molle pouches... The one on the left is my fallers pouch which is pretty much always on my chaps you can see it rolled up later on... I will snag picturesof the contents of things soon. I've been pulling straps and clips off of extra bags over the years. The saw harness came off of a golf bag with no mods necessary.

i3i5oh.jpg

Next step was coming up with a solution to carry gas and oil and not just a little bit, but 1.25 gal no spill gas can and 60 oz of bar oil. first the oil holder half. followed by the gas can rack right before paint.
1073lms.jpg

2l0r3b.jpg

Close up of the Rack with Medical kit in larger pouch. The smaller one has extra saw parts / gloves ect. Chaps and fallers pouch rolled up fit below...

359d20o.jpg

Full View with my helmet. Current Saw is a Stihl MS362 w 20" bar

30ww3dj.jpg

Right Side
6fr3pj.jpg

Left Side
4q4wlw.jpg

Almost complete pack. My Axe, hand saw, and water are my next challenges...
fz2nth.jpg

Thanks man. I really hope it does.

Part 2. The start of The finishing touches. :)

So a while back I saw these axe holders in a catalog as well as on YouTube. I found some sheet metal and went to town. It fits like a glove and I can reach it in the proper orientation. Chaps are Lebonville full wrap competition series
2dax1rr.jpg

I did some firewood cutting yesterday and used the bulkier fallers pouch it was just to cumbersome some. I’ve shrunk it down left the bigger version on the pack. Files, stump vice, scrench tool, gloves, ear plugs, and saw stuff ( wedges, bar nuts, spark plug, pull cord)

The lighter one has 2 wedges, a pack of quick clot,
and a tourniquet (which is in the mail still)

It all fits really well and doesn’t move one bit...
vqscbr.jpg

Wow!!! This is one of those "Why didn't I think of that???" ideas. You have a great idea here! When I did hazard tree falling for the USFS on fires (20+ years ago) I never had anything but my shoulder pad. Love the idea. As for the particulars: Yep, power head down low - love it. Gas up high sloshing around... not so much.

There is "a guy" Dana Gleason, who is literally world famous in the backpack industry and now runs "Mystery Ranch Ltd." he'd truly be interested I think, as they have branched out into making job specific packs for military, medics, firefighters, etc. Take a look at their stuff for ideas, or sell him yours. He's miles ahead in the harness systems and his packs make 50 pounds feel more like 25.

Don't forget to provide space for a first aid blood loss kit, a fire shelter, and extra chains if you are doing this for wildfire work. I think the gas should go in some sort of bladder bag... maybe.

Awesome!!! Please continue to keep us informed on this.

Thanks for the kinda words. I will be handling some finishing touches on this in the weeks to come..
I don’t personally do fire service work, but their ideas were a big influence on my build. As well as years of personal mountaineering experience and my background in tree care and falling...

I just recently learned about mystery ranch stuff from YouTube maybe in the future I can shoot him and email... just to bounces some ideas off of... I sure my pack could be a good starting point and could easily be added to...

The bigger Molle bag to the left is a complete first aid kit custom built for chainsaw duties.

The gas issue is something to think about, but I don’t think you could use a soft side container and still meet dot and osha approval. Not something I’m personally worried about, but it would definitely not suffice under the watch of safety sallies out their. All the wild land fire fighters pics I’ve seen show gas cans or the msr type fuel bottles...

Back